Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 01:13 PM

19,727 posts, read 10,144,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I'm not the OP, but having moved here two years ago, I found the real estate taxes high. Also the personal property tax. Pure nonsense, that. And add the state income tax in. No wonder Missouri is failing to grow.

There are positives, but the taxes are not in there.
Real estate tax, $140,000 home, $320 a year which you can get back if you are over 65 or disabled. Personal property tax, 3 vehicles, $59 a year. Where are these high taxes? Certainly not in my part of the state. Maybe in Jackson county or St Louis County, but why would anyone want to live in one of those sewers anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 01:50 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Real estate tax, $140,000 home, $320 a year which you can get back if you are over 65 or disabled. Personal property tax, 3 vehicles, $59 a year. Where are these high taxes? Certainly not in my part of the state. Maybe in Jackson county or St Louis County, but why would anyone want to live in one of those sewers anyway?
There are disadvantages for living in many urban as well as many rural areas of Missouri. The best areas to live in the state in terms of most metrics would be suburban St. Charles County, MO or Platte County, MO. Neither of those two areas rate well in terms of air quality.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There are disadvantages for living in many urban as well as many rural areas of Missouri. The best areas to live in the state in terms of most metrics would be suburban St. Charles County, MO or Platte County, MO. Neither of those two areas rate well in terms of air quality.
The Joplin area beats most other areas of the state in every way.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:36 AM

8,991 posts, read 4,674,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I suspect MO is like AR. In AR, the taxes on the poor and middle class are quite low.
I suspect the millionaires are paying more than "their fair share" (which is, itself, a misnomer).

The last person I heard honestly complaining about high taxes was complaining about the taxes on his private airplane. Personal property tax (vehicles, boats and airplanes) for items over a certain amount (this was $4000, many years ago) are a bit high (5%, I think).

How does that compare to MO?

(Don't be afraid to say you don't know, most people don't pay much attention to the taxes others pay, only to what they, themselves, pay.)

Old 04-29-2024, 06:22 AM

3,652 posts, read 3,789,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I suspect MO is like AR. In AR, the taxes on the poor and middle class are quite low.
I suspect the millionaires are paying more than "their fair share" (which is, itself, a misnomer).

The last person I heard honestly complaining about high taxes was complaining about the taxes on his private airplane. Personal property tax (vehicles, boats and airplanes) for items over a certain amount (this was $4000, many years ago) are a bit high (5%, I think).

How does that compare to MO?

(Don't be afraid to say you don't know, most people don't pay much attention to the taxes others pay, only to what they, themselves, pay.)
My real estate taxes are pretty high. I live outside of town services. I got excited when I read the person's post who said you can get a full refund if you're over 65. But that is for low-income folks and I've gone back to work. I'm in the working poor bracket, I'm told. My personal property taxes are for an 11 year old truck with 226,000 miles on it and a 3 year old car I call the "go cart." Forget the fact I already paid sales tax and licensed the things.

I do live in the MO county with the highest real estate tax revenue due to vacation houses. And fortunately live far from that area.

I thought I had researched the MO tax situation before I moved. I went beyond people saying "Oh, they're not bad here." But I have a very specific list now.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:37 PM

8,991 posts, read 4,674,418 times
Well, I just took a peak at MO real estate taxes, and they are substantially higher than AR, but substantially lower than IL.

Curious what county you live in, but you don't have to answer, I understand privacy issues.

Old Today, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Well, I just took a peak at MO real estate taxes, and they are substantially higher than AR, but substantially lower than IL.

Curious what county you live in, but you don't have to answer, I understand privacy issues.
If you mean me, Vernon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri