Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times

Advertisements

Awesome pictures. Lovethewest your definitely not camara shy are you???? I am curious did you at least swim in it? It is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 AM

59 posts, read 262,043 times
Yes there are 17 flight pens on this property. Beautiful site!

Carlidin

Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM

362 posts, read 1,855,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Awesome pictures. Lovethewest your definitely not camara shy are you???? I am curious did you at least swim in it? It is beautiful.
Thanks fo the compliment (I'm assuming not being camera shy is a compliment). No we did not swim, it was waaay too cold.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,204 times
Hey gang, a couple of pix for ya'll from our spring break trip to Oregon.
The first is Multnoma Falls, the 2nd tallest in the US at 620', note the peps on the bridge for scale. The second is my son and me on Mt. Batchelor near Bend, OR.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Missouri [StL, KC, etc. too] Picture Thread-oregon-2008-spring-break-007.jpg   Official Missouri [StL, KC, etc. too] Picture Thread-oregon-2008-spring-break-027.jpg  

Old 03-21-2008, 02:42 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Cool Table Rock Lake at High Water

You really have to see this in person to realize how monumental it is...but here's a few pictures you can't take every day!

AND...bear in mind...this water control system is an amazing engineering feat...all the flood waters from Galena & all around drain into a series of reservoirs...(that's for you Plains 10...)...where a bunch of very cool boys & girls take care of sending it away...

The Table Rock Dam letting water out of 5 of the 10 locks and into Lake Taneycomo:

The water is about 5 feet from spilling over the top of the dam:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/janetbezz/DSCN2183Small.jpg (broken link)

The staircase down to the observation platform:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/janetbezz/DSCN2181Small.jpg (broken link)

Purple Martin house...usually 20' in the air...on somebody's lakefront property...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/janetbezz/DSCN2189Small.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-21-2008, 03:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
Default Lakes Up

Hi LJ,

Great shots of the lake. Is there any hydroelectric power at the dam? How often does the lake level get that high? How does all that runoff rainwater affect the fish? Tambre

Old 03-22-2008, 10:55 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Wink Lake levels & fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi LJ,

Great shots of the lake. Is there any hydroelectric power at the dam? How often does the lake level get that high? How does all that runoff rainwater affect the fish? Tambre
Yes ma'am...Table Rock Dam is a power generating dam built in 1959. The lake level RARELY gets THIS high, but it does go up & down depending on rainfall & the need for power. The power grid is an interesting thing...after Katrina the power company was allowed to drop the lake level quite a bit to make up the electricity for all those power plants that were off line.

I'm not sure how the fish are doing right now...not a fisher-person meself...
I usually get my fishing information from the fishing guy on the local radio station at 7:15 am...haven't been paying attention of late.

I'll try to do better in the future...

Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi,
Really, fantastic, magnificent photos. By the way does anyone know, what causes the water to be that bluish/greenish, milky color? Tambre
lol, that is beautiful, no? Mix some clean, cool water slowly rising from underground conduits, with all the various minerals that the water has dissolved on its travels, mainly limestone [Calcium and Magnesium, some Iron and Manganese too], and ya get that special colour. And, to all - some excellent photos!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:59 PM

526 posts, read 1,246,136 times
Default Awesome Pictures !!

LJ those pictures are awesome!! We came up for Easter but didn't have time to check that out, just got to see the HIGH water as we crossed the bridges............ thanks for the info, you are so helpful as always!!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Yes ma'am...Table Rock Dam is a power generating dam built in 1959. The lake level RARELY gets THIS high, but it does go up & down depending on rainfall & the need for power. The power grid is an interesting thing...after Katrina the power company was allowed to drop the lake level quite a bit to make up the electricity for all those power plants that were off line.

I'm not sure how the fish are doing right now...not a fisher-person meself...
I usually get my fishing information from the fishing guy on the local radio station at 7:15 am...haven't been paying attention of late.

I'll try to do better in the future...
Hi LJ,
Do the local communities get to share in the surplus electricity (if there is any) when there is a flood....thinking of meters running backwards, like with solar? What is the name of the power company? That's fantastic that they were able to help out with the Katrina tragedy, although they also probably made a good profit doing so. It's good to hear of green energy sources.

Tambre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri