Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:58 PM

694 posts, read 1,358,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Yep, that would be the same ones who only learned the revisionist history and are too dumb to even research for themselves for the truth.
Always a pleasure to see our local Nixa Belle show up on the Missouri forum and bless us with her charming and gracious words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM

36 posts, read 52,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
I don't think they hated it, just that most of them in AR, MO Ozarks didn't really care one way or another.
Ive lived in the south all my life (at least all my life spent in the US) and thats what I wouldve expected

Now a "southerner" making hateful remarks about the intelligence of entire southern communities, estimations of southern culture surviving foreign invasion, despising other cultures that have caused them no harm, thats something you usually find with yankee transplants.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:48 PM

260 posts, read 587,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman2012 View Post
Ive lived in the south all my life (at least all my life spent in the US) and thats what I wouldve expected

Now a "southerner" making hateful remarks about the intelligence of entire southern communities, estimations of southern culture surviving foreign invasion, despising other cultures that have caused them no harm, thats something you usually find with yankee transplants.
Would you consider Noel a southern city?

I know far NW AR around Fayetteville, Springdale, NE OK and SW MO some on here say it's kinda a hybrid of different cultures due to it being so close to KS and that.

Would you consider these areas to be southern or my hybrid?

Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Noel *was* a southern city, and Ive carefully considered all your writing before and found I concur with all of it. Some of it sent me researching but you were right.

I live in NE Oklahoma which geographically is more southern than any of Missouri, but because of decades of criminals jumping the borders between Arkansas, Kansas and Missouri and hiding out in Indian Territory my area is overwhelmed with white trash. I dont mean poor, uneducated people like 20 yrs in Branson (but transplanted from Washington State) might mock, but I mean foul mouthed, rude, obnoxious people (no better than alot of yankees). The population gets better the further in the state and down south one goes.

I dont think Kansas impacts NEO at all. I moved here from the Oklahoma panhandle. The town north of the one I lived in was in Kansas.

I would rather live around hard working religious Mexicans and even savage Muslim Africans in Noel than any of those larger cities around yankees / carpetbaggers, but I wouldnt be happy about it. A high Mexican population means the drug trade will follow. African blacks usually keep their crimes to themselves, but as someone whos resided in two African countries, I wouldnt look forward to noel being inhabitable in two generations anyway.

The Oklahoma panhandle is less than 50 miles north to south, and is sandwiched between Texas and Kansas. You can tell within 5 minutes of meeting someone if their people are from Texas or Kansas. Its also overrun with Mexicans, hence my statement I would rather live around mexicans than Yankees.

That place is the most

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Would you consider Noel a southern city?

I know far NW AR around Fayetteville, Springdale, NE OK and SW MO some on here say it's kinda a hybrid of different cultures due to it being so close to KS and that.

Would you consider these areas to be southern or my hybrid?
I think under the right circumstances, those cities could be very southern very quickly. I have a hard time calling them southern though. There's a "vibe" I get from yankees, transplants, decendants thats very distinct from traditional Southerners. Like "20yearsinBranson" making fun of poor whites in Noel. If you look up her bio shes from Washington State, "blissfully childfree", etc. Different values. If yankees cant assimilate with southerners it a joke to expect people from other countries to (although in the case of Mexicans, they assimilate with southerners better than yankees.

When I go to Lawrence County they have typical Yankee hypocrisy when it comes to race, and things of that nature. After I learned about the 12 Pioneer Families of Lawrence County reunion, I told my brother about it. He researched the area, and a couple weeks later told me about these fine yankee veterans and sons of yankee veterans in and around Lawrence County totally purging entire towns (Mt Vernon, Monett) there of blacks around the turn of the century. The local librarians, researchers etc. that Ive spoken to absolutely ignore it as though it never happened.

Southerners traditionally dont whitewash their history, regardless of whether or not they are proud / ashamed of it.

I would still rather be in SW Missouri than anywhere right now though.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 PM

260 posts, read 587,778 times
Quote:
I think under the right circumstances, those cities could be very southern very quickly. I have a hard time calling them southern though. There's a "vibe" I get from yankees, transplants, decendants thats very distinct from traditional Southerners. Like "20yearsinBranson" making fun of poor whites in Noel. If you look up her bio shes from Washington State, "blissfully childfree", etc. Different values. If yankees cant assimilate with southerners it a joke to expect people from other countries to (although in the case of Mexicans, they assimilate with southerners better than yankees.

When I go to Lawrence County they have typical Yankee hypocrisy when it comes to race, and things of that nature. After I learned about the 12 Pioneer Families of Lawrence County reunion, I told my brother about it. He researched the area, and a couple weeks later told me about these fine yankee veterans and sons of yankee veterans in and around Lawrence County totally purging entire towns (Mt Vernon, Monett) there of blacks around the turn of the century. The local librarians, researchers etc. that Ive spoken to absolutely ignore it as though it never happened.

Southerners traditionally dont whitewash their history, regardless of whether or not they are proud / ashamed of it.

I would still rather be in SW Missouri than anywhere right now though.
Actually the Missouri Bootheel extends further south than NE OK geographically, and is probably more southern than anyone in OK possibly. Seriously no Midwestern influence in the Bootheel. It might as well be part of Western TN, Eastern AR or northern Mississippi.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Default Vernon County Partisan Rangers and Quantrill's Raiders

Quote:
That is pretty neat you can trace them that far back!

Did any of them fight for the Missouri State Guard or the Confederacy?
Since you asked the above question I learned of one ancestor on my mother's side that fought with MSG prior to Lieutenant then Captain of the original Missouri Bushwacker unit, the Vernon County Rangers. He was from Nevada, which was burned to the ground by jayhawkers. After the war he moved to Indian Territory with my 2nd great grandmother and raced horses. On the 1900 census he is listed as living with his son Franklin and was still working as a liveryman (he couldnt draw a veterans pension because he never signed a loyalty oath after the war). He died an unreconstructed rebel.

I learned all of this after the last time I posted here. I also since have joined the first families of the twin territories under him and 7 other ancestors. His name is John Duke Kelly and is listed on this page of Bushwhackers. Known Bushwhackers of Vernon County, Missouri

My wife just learned she was pregnant last week. If we are blessed with a boy we will name him after JDK.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 PM

Default EIGHTEEN different dialects spoken in Noel Missouri

To follow up on this thread I started -

My wife wound up getting a job on the Oklahoma side of the border about 40 minutes from Noel. On her first day of work she met another teacher that had just moved from Noel. The lady from Noel told her EIGHTEEN different foreign dialects were being spoken at Noel. Keep in mind this is a town of less than 2000.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Knowing the area, I believe the right word is "stupid" rather than lazy. No, well.... both, actually.

20yrsinBranson
go home yankee

Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
go home yankee
Before moving to Missouri 29 years ago, I lived in Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, Arizona and California. Norman, honey, I am *anything* but a Yankee. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri