Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:22 PM

40 posts, read 89,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I think he is referring to the Amtrak train from downtown Chicago to Milwaukee.
Amtrak isn't a true commuter line, it goes all over the U.S., shares rails with freight trains, etc.
But they do have a train that services Milwaukee to Chicago. I think that person thought Chicago and Milwaukee are connected by a Metra commuter train, which they are not. I heard they might connect Kenosha to Milwaukee, but it's running into some issues. Amtrak is far more expensive than a commuter train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 04:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
Amtrak isn't a true commuter line, it goes all over the U.S., shares rails with freight trains, etc.
The Amtrak Hiawatha line is a dedicated line just for Milwaukee-Chicago aimed at "commuters". The Empire builders is more of what you are referring to where it just runs through cities. The Hiawatha makes 7 round trips back and forth and I can tell you from experience it's rarely "non-commuters" you usually see the same people riding the Amtrak line(suits). However on the weekends you will see more students and tourists. The Amtrak Hiawatha line is a inter-city passenger train that maily carries commuters so therefore it's a commuter rail line. Just like the Acela line on the east coast. Most of Amtrak isn't commuter rail however the dedicated lines in between metros are. The Hiawatha line has stops in both metros suburbs so how is it not commuter rail if mainly commuter use it not travelers going across the US they have other lines for that.

Hiawatha Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acela Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pacific Surfliner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
The Hiawatha line has stops in both metros suburbs so how is it not commuter rail if mainly commuter use it not travelers going across the US they have other lines for that.

I see what you are saying, it's "aimed" at commuters. But it's fairly expensive unless you are a regular rider or a student, or so I am told by my frugal wife. I think that Hiawatha train also shares the tracks with freight some freight traffic at times. If so, this is not a true commuter train, as I thought I pointed out. A Wisconsin business owner also informed me that if they do high speed trains connecting the cities, that it will likely only be as fast as the current tracks will allow. It might not save people much time on their trip for what it will cost.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:44 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,981 times
I am pretty sure the Rock Island line shares tracks with CN, here from Joliet to Chgo.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,400 times
What??!!? My grandparents live up in Milwaukee (good ole West Allis) I've never heard anything about Milwaukee being a "suburb" of any kind. That's like saying the United States should be deemed part of Mexico because of all the illegal immigrants pouring over the border.

Grandpa always said he'd put a gun in his mouth and paint the bathroom walls red before he would move to Illinois. He's such a kidder.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
What??!!? My grandparents live up in Milwaukee (good ole West Allis) I've never heard anything about Milwaukee being a "suburb" of any kind.
Like I have said before that's b/c it's not Wisconsinites saying that it's people from Chicago saying that as a way to pick on Milwaukee. So therefore you would never hear it from people living in WI. Don't people ever read all the posts anymore?

Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 13,400 times
Quote:
Like I have said before that's b/c it's not Wisconsinites saying that it's people from Chicago saying that as a way to pick on Milwaukee. So therefore you would never hear it from people living in WI. Don't people ever read all the posts anymore?

Sorry I did not read them all. Silly me. I normally don't unless it's necessary. OK but I've never heard anyone down here say Milwaukee's a suburb either. It seems kinda silly since places like Rockford which is in Illinois is not considered a suburb. But whatever it is Milwaukee so who really cares?

Old 10-30-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamfromskokie View Post
I've never heard anything about Milwaukee being a "suburb" of any kind. That's like saying the United States should be deemed part of Mexico because of all the illegal immigrants pouring over the border.
Grandpa always said he'd put a gun in his mouth and paint the bathroom walls red before he would move to Illinois. He's such a kidder.
Colorful. Your grandpa and mine shoud hang out. The United States of Mexico eh? lol!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:08 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Default Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenberry View Post
Yes! That kind of development is what is bringing Lake County down too. It's pretty common for people from Lake County to move to Wisconsin where life is not all that different but costs less. I think we get a good perspective of both Chicago and SE Wisconsin areas. Wisonsin taxes are out of sight, but many people don't care because Wisconsin offers better schools and less congestion. I would not move there because my family is all in McHenry.
McHenry must be in Wisconsin. huh?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Default Two entirely different cities

Leaving Chicago then getting on Hwy 41 heading towards Milwaukee, say from Waukegan, I always felt like I was still within Chicago's grasp. By the time I got to Racine, there was no question that I was now in Wisconsin, approaching Milwaukee. The ambiance of Illinois replaced by that of Wisconsin.

I grew up in the Chicago area and never heard anyone try to downgrade Milwaukee or consider it a suburb of Chicago. This must be a relatively recent development. Both cities are separate and they are unique in and of themselves. As far as I could tell, these differences were always respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee