Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,800,438 times

Advertisements

I've been in the AF for 17 years now and have family in the Navy. If you are looking for stability, that is, you don't want to be away from your kids too often, it all comes down to what job you have. Intel deploys often, as well as Contracting Officers.

I'm not sure if they allow single parents in the military. It's alright once you are in, but it may be a different set of rules upon entry. I know when I enlisted they wouldn't allow single parents, but that may have changed, ask the recruiter.

The advantages of the AF are better quality of life...the AF pumps a lot of money into it's bases. Facilities and housing are typically much better at AF bases as opposed to other brances. Most bases have DoD schools that your children can attend, but they will most likely have to attend high school off base. Something to think about before choosing assignments. The downside to the AF is that promotions are very slow. Again, AF puts its money into quality of life and technology, whereas other branches put more money into promotions and enlistment bonuses in order to persuade recruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,706,511 times
OP, have you talked to either services recruiters yet? Keep us posted on what you find out

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
. Most bases have DoD schools that your children can attend, but they will most likely have to attend high school off base.
In my experience, and my experience only so I am not trying to make a sweeping generalization, the stateside bases' schools are part of the local school district. Overseas bases have DoD schools. I have not heard of DoD schools operating stateside. I would be curious and interested to hear which AF bases CONUS have DoD run schools.

For instance, our base has three elementary schools, and one even has the word "base" in its name, but they are part of the local city school system.

OK answered my own question - these are the DoD schools run stateside, from the DoDEA website:

http://www.dodea.edu/datacenter/enro...eorgia/Alabama

Apparently there are some out there. But don't expect DoD schools if you are CONUS - you could get them but OTOH, you may not.

Last edited by lisdol; 01-21-2009 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: adding a link

Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM

253 posts, read 806,233 times
Default advice for you on AF and Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojulybabies View Post
I apologize if this similar has been asked before, I have searched the forum and can't find a situation like mine.

Here's what I think you should know to answer me the best:
I am looking at the Intelligence Officer position. The Navy has it posted on Monster dot com; the USAF, I went to their site and looked. I am 38, will be 39 in less than a month. I have an Associates Degree in Business, a Bachelor's in Social Science and a Bachelor's in Forensic Chemistry. (Yeah, I like learning). So I guess that gets me in as an officer. Both sites mentioned I needed to be less than 40.

I have no problems going to training in another state, etc. And quite frankly, I just moved "here" in July, so I guess I'll move just about anywhere.

What will this new life for myself bring to the kids? I have 10 and 7 year old boys. I'm a girl, BTW. I pretty much have to make a commitment for 4 years active, then another 4 reserves. Not a problem, but am I pretty much kissing them goodbye for 4 years?????

Oh, I'm not married...but have been "shacking up" with their Dad for the last 12 years.

What "tricks" do I need to know about the recruiters? If I tell them not to give me the "18 year old pitch", will they honor that generally?

Which (navy or AF) would be more condusive to family life?

What else have I forgot to ask you?

Many thanks in advance.
my husband is retired AF, and before i married him, i was arround AF most of my life, my daddy was Amy, my stepson just went into the marines,as well as my brother was a marine. we have family and friends in every branch, and i have a good friend of 22 yrs thats in navy and about to retire, so i asked him his imput to before i wrote you.
AF is considored to be the most family type branch, if you already have a family, most recruiters will steer ya to the AF, imo, thou it does have its hardships to a family, its the most easy for a family to adjust to.
army and marines usually are one who had no family(kids) when they go in, family comes later, but its tougher.
now navy...they are what some say, 2nd choice for people with kids. its not harsh on keeping families apart to much, BUT>......advice i just recieved is this...most navy stations are sea side...meaning, same as cilvilan world...closer to water you live(namely ocean) the higher cost of living....when in navy, keep that in mind. all bases have a waiting list to get base house, some long, some short, so you need to factor in that you will live off base for up to a year, and in navy, along water...is EXPENSIVE. my buddy just got transferred up to WA, living off base, in a old house, which isnt much to brag about...paying 1500 mo rent, 500 mo to heat so far...and still freezing, and stil got 6 mo left to hopefully get assigned house on base.
AF, living off base is almost preferred, as well as most branches i think, but AF bases tend to be most times in more affordable locations, some not being in most desireable, but afordable. Home is where you hang you heart, and what ya make of it, so if you learn to keep a open mind, you will learn to like where your at. plus, AF has some really awesome bases if you get so lucky, in your case(field) you just might.
reservsist....most go that way...in but not in, still draw some pay, but...fromwhat ive seen, first to go and last to come home. doesnt always mean you get shipped off to war or overseas...alot get shipped to another base to fill in for the branch there when they ship out. In AF, always had alot of reserves come in to cover when ours went out.
on another note...since your not married...base houseing wont be a option for you as a fmaily till you get married...unless things have changed, but dont thinks so. so your stuck living off base. also...if and when you get married, and if and when you enlist...be sure your married for love, so many marry up...wait till enlisted person hits the 10 yr mark...then divorces you...but entitled to a big chunk of your retirement pay if you retire....just word of warning there...be sure your future spouse is marring you for you.
on that note, id say, if you have to go in...join the AF, and dont buy into all the recruiters will fill your head with...they are like car salesmen...if you believe all they tell you...everyone would be stationed on some tropical island drinken mojitos and haven a good time!!!
NOw....if you would rather considor...go to usajobs...look for cilvian work that is thru a gov job...good pay...gov benifets, lots of locations all over the world, some pay for your move, and so you get the best of a gov job without siging your life away for it. if I can help you with that option, just PM me, ive been doing it for years...and got a good grip on the process to get hired. Id love to help. Best of luck in what you choose to do

Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 PM

10,177 posts, read 20,800,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
In my experience, and my experience only so I am not trying to make a sweeping generalization, the stateside bases' schools are part of the local school district. Overseas bases have DoD schools. I have not heard of DoD schools operating stateside. I would be curious and interested to hear which AF bases CONUS have DoD run schools.

For instance, our base has three elementary schools, and one even has the word "base" in its name, but they are part of the local city school system.

OK answered my own question - these are the DoD schools run stateside, from the DoDEA website:

DoDEA:

Apparently there are some out there. But don't expect DoD schools if you are CONUS - you could get them but OTOH, you may not.

Yes you are correct. I meant to say that the kids can attend schools which are located on the base, yet belong to the local district. Good catch.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:43 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,233,807 times
I grew up a NAVY kid (my Dad) and was engaged to an AF guy for a couple of years (we went to HS together, and were engaged for 26 months). And I was also engaged to a Green Berets guy. I also work with the military family (I work with milspouses and milkids) and from my experience with all the branches (except the CG, I have little experience with that branch) I have to say that the AF is the best for family life.

They also have some great housing. The AF did it right in my opinion. They got their money from the gov't and built some nice bases and then ran out of money before they invested in weaponry (at which time the gov't had to dole out more $$$, we can't have an AF without planes and bombs!)...whereas the Navy procured weapons and then tried to build a nase base, and the gov't was like "sorry you had what we gave you." So, AF bases are quite nice! Not that that should be your deciding factor. But as much as I love the NAVY and loved my childhood, I didn't see as much of my Dad as I would have liked. So, I'd go with the AF, I got to see a lot of my EX when he was in, and he was in intelligence.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,948,120 times
Everyone here is right... AF is the better choice for family life.

Before you join the service, please make sure your SO is on board and okay with it. Will he be okay handling the kids, housework, budget, shopping, etc while you're gone on deployments for 15-18 months at a time? Will he have family nearby the base you're wanting to be stationed at so that while you're gone he can have some help?

I am a former Navy wife. Nothing prepares you for military life. It just doesn't. I have met so many people who are gung ho about the military... then you meet their spouse. She/he's miserable. When the service member goes on deployment, the bills start racking up, the housework gets ignored, the kids start running wild. When confronted, they make excuses... the military's underpaid, the kids are having a hard time adjusting, I'm so tired... then their spouse comes back and things start to return to normal for awhile. Then they leave again and the cycle begins afresh... not every military family is like this. Military life is TOUGH... especially on the spouse.

Make sure yours is ready to be a single parent, without every other weekend "other parent" relief or grandparent relief, no friends (certainly none you could trust with your kids at first). It's a tough, tough life.

When my dh was in the Navy he got me a mug and a car bumper sticker that read "Navy wife... toughest job in the Navy"

It was NOT a joke!

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,063 times
Yeah, that is true. Just when you really get a good support network going, you have to move. It can be frustrating, especially if you are really enjoying your current assignment.

Definitely something to be made as a joint decision.

The separation for work and lack of support can, don't necessarily do, but can cause problems, even in very strong marriages.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:14 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,706,511 times
For the record, I did talk to an AF recruiter as I'll hopefully become an officer myself someday sooner than later...According to him officer selection rates for the AF commissioning is currently only in the high teens...Regardless of what you think about this "internet hearsay" talk to an air force recruiter to determine you odds

Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 PM

172 posts, read 279,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Everyone here is right... AF is the better choice for family life.

Before you join the service, please make sure your SO is on board and okay with it. Will he be okay handling the kids, housework, budget, shopping, etc while you're gone on deployments for 15-18 months at a time? Will he have family nearby the base you're wanting to be stationed at so that while you're gone he can have some help?

I am a former Navy wife. Nothing prepares you for military life. It just doesn't. I have met so many people who are gung ho about the military... then you meet their spouse. She/he's miserable. When the service member goes on deployment, the bills start racking up, the housework gets ignored, the kids start running wild. When confronted, they make excuses... the military's underpaid, the kids are having a hard time adjusting, I'm so tired... then their spouse comes back and things start to return to normal for awhile. Then they leave again and the cycle begins afresh... not every military family is like this. Military life is TOUGH... especially on the spouse.

Make sure yours is ready to be a single parent, without every other weekend "other parent" relief or grandparent relief, no friends (certainly none you could trust with your kids at first). It's a tough, tough life.

When my dh was in the Navy he got me a mug and a car bumper sticker that read "Navy wife... toughest job in the Navy"

It was NOT a joke!

Good luck.
All excellent points. Could have very well been my own wife typing those very same words. Been married for ten out of my 18 years in and my wife just amazes me. 4 major moves in ten years (including one to a foreign country), and countless deployments. It takes a strong person to join the military but an even stronger person to commit to their Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine.

To the OP: You have a family already established. Be sure they know what you're getting yourself (and them) into prior to making a huge commitment to any service. I would let them have as much say as possible before you sign on the dotted line. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.

One last thing. Go Navy! Sure you'll be deployed if you end up on a ship, but for no longer than 6-9 months. 6-7 is more the norm and you get shore duty after completing a normal sea duty tour. For example: My sea shore rotation is 36 months sea duty (deployable). 36 months shore duty (not deployable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues