Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,909 times

Advertisements

My son, the Coastie, thinks whatever, wherever is his current duty station is the worst! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 11:03 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
Believe me, if I could afford to live in Hawaii I would.

I have heard the locals don't care much for people outside of Hawaii, any truth to that?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I have heard the locals don't care much for people outside of Hawaii, any truth to that?
This true in some cases, but remember that goes for every military base. Most, but not lacols around every base seem to have some kind of beef with the same military that bring business to thier area.
In Hawaii they call the whites "Hawleys" and the black are call "Papolos". When I was stationed at Scholfield Barrack back in the early "80's" I made friend with some locals on the Makaha/ Wai'anae side of the island of O'aho. Well everyone was told to stay clear of that area because the locals would beat the h#ll out of you if they caught you there. But, since I treated them with respect and also respected thier beliefs, they treated me like family and I was protected by that same Hawaiian family. So it just goes to show you, "Show others respect and you will alway get it back in 10 fold". If you go around expecting the locals to treat you as someone special just because your a GI, your gonna get hut.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I don't think that's true because my friend dated someone that was from Texas who was living there and she didn't have any problems with any locals.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:24 AM

51 posts, read 233,266 times
Shemya, Alaska. They call it the black pearl but to me it was just a black hole. Spoiled any thoughts of an AF career. Only high point was a surprise visit by Bob Hope on his last Christman Vietnam Tour.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 AM

269 posts, read 783,802 times
I wouldn't call it the worst, but Wright Patterson in Dayton, Ohio sucked the life out of me!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post
I wouldn't call it the worst, but Wright Patterson in Dayton, Ohio sucked the life out of me!
What do you expect, It was Ohio. That would suck the life out of anyone, but I'm glad you survived.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksr View Post
Shemya, Alaska. They call it the black pearl but to me it was just a black hole. Spoiled any thoughts of an AF career. Only high point was a surprise visit by Bob Hope on his last Christman Vietnam Tour.
I spent a few weeks out on Shemya. The sun came out one day, and wonder of wonders, the wind didn't blow me away that day either. The scruffies peed all over the tools I left laying next to the unit I was working on and I am looking for the day I can knock off half a dozen blue foxes to get payback.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls8195 View Post
I am Coast Guard and I would have to say my worst was New Orleans, I was there 2 years before Hurricane Katrina, and 2 years after, and I did not like it before the Hurricane to say the least. All the violence, drugs, everything was just a mess. Everyone seemed to think they were owed something there for some reason. Now my command was ok, but due to the city it just brought everything down and was just a drag to live there.
Funny you say that.. I am active USCG and heard the exact same. Actually there is a new book out called "RESCUE WARRIORS" all about the USCG i highly recommend it and the Coasties they talk to about New Orleans all talk about the "trashy" people who live there and how they would get shot at trying to do rescues and the swimmers would have to go in pairs because fist fights would break out.. crazy place.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:08 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,179 times
Hmmm...the worst??..has to be...wait for it....
Edwards airplane patch (Edwards AFB, Ca.) or "Eddies" as we used to call it back then in the late 70's.
The morning after I arrived, walking to CBPO to inprocess, I tought I was in the middle of an Ol' West movie set..tumbleweeds and sand blowing accross the roads, jack rabbits running around,..if you owned a car it had to suffer the sandblast damage on your windshield, in the summer time they would advice not to go out in the middle of the day because of the heat, the dry hot air would cause you to have nose bleeds, from the nearest town (Rosamond) to the Main gate was something like 8 or 9 miles of sand, then from the Main gate to Main base was something like 7 or 8 miles of nothing but sand. Our only hope was Vegas...4 hours away...LA, 2 hours away, San Bernandino, couple of hours away...the rest of the time...sand, heat, sand, cold, more sand.
Well...my .02 cents folks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues