Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 10:24 AM

204 posts, read 160,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
I thought Joe summed it up perfectly, but apparently, the message didn't get through. I don't know anything about the Marines, but I suspect that if he used to be part of the security force that guards the subs, if there are no subs at his new duty assignment, then perhaps he will be part of the security force that guards the vehicles at the motorpool, or to guard the supply depot, or guard the prisoners in the overnight lockup, or whatever. They all fall under the "security forces" umbrella. He may even end up sitting at a desk all day doing paperwork, logging the security of the items mentioned above. It may be a change in DUTIES that he isn't used to but it's still the same JOB.

ARMY! Because even Marines need heroes.
Well said, I get it better now, I am just so new to all this .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 05:48 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,459,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
Hi all,

Just a general question because I feel weird asking my son in law. He is a Marine and has a year left on a 5 (really 8)year contract. His MOS was Security Forces in a base in Georgia, they decided to relocate him to 29 Palms where he will have a different job, he is not even sure what that job will be! He is hoping to get into CID, but know how competitive it is and will see once he and my daughter get there, how to go through that process. My question is: if he becomes a CID agent, will he have to re enlist because they put him through all the training etc? Or can he get out with no issues? He is not happy about his new station, it is in the middle of the desert, but they will make the best of it. Also, my daughter is getting discouraged because she is just graduating college here with BA in criminal justice and there is nothing out there for her as far as jobs(most people want experience of course), so that is troubling too. Just a little frustrated, but Military life is different than anything else !
He would have to extend on at least the active part of his contract. Probably for a minimum of two years.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:36 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,791,475 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Just a general question because I feel weird asking my son in law. He is a Marine and has a year left on a 5 (really 8)year contract. His MOS was Security Forces in a base in Georgia, they decided to relocate him to 29 Palms where he will have a different job, he is not even sure what that job will be! He is hoping to get into CID, but know how competitive it is and will see once he and my daughter get there, how to go through that process. My question is: if he becomes a CID agent, will he have to re enlist because they put him through all the training etc? Or can he get out with no issues? He is not happy about his new station, it is in the middle of the desert, but they will make the best of it. Also, my daughter is getting discouraged because she is just graduating college here with BA in criminal justice and there is nothing out there for her as far as jobs(most people want experience of course), so that is troubling too. Just a little frustrated, but Military life is different than anything else !
Here's my interpretation of your post: Your daughter has now completed her BA in criminal justice and wants to get a meaningful job in her field of study. Your son-in-law (SIL) is due to get out of the Marines in about a year, but you're afraid that he may re-enlist.

Chances are that if he re-enlists, then he will end up being a "Lifer" serving a minimum of 20 years and perhaps considerably more. This will leave your daughter and her dreams of a meaningful career in a law enforcement field "out of luck" and probably only able to get drudgery type jobs for the next 20 years or so and having to move every few years, perhaps even overseas.

Concern (or hope) #2 is that they might divorce if their careers are so incompatible. I can understand your concern about this situation. You don't mention if there are any children involved.

My question would be "What was their agreement or thoughts about his military service at the time they were married?" Was it agreed or assumed that he would serve out his 5- or 8-year enlistment and then get out, or was it agreed or assumed that he would be in for 20+ years? The answer to that question would guide my recommendation as to what to do about the situation.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Here's my interpretation of your post: Your daughter has now completed her BA in criminal justice and wants to get a meaningful job in her field of study. Your son-in-law (SIL) is due to get out of the Marines in about a year, but you're afraid that he may re-enlist.

Chances are that if he re-enlists, then he will end up being a "Lifer" serving a minimum of 20 years and perhaps considerably more. This will leave your daughter and her dreams of a meaningful career in a law enforcement field "out of luck" and probably only able to get drudgery type jobs for the next 20 years or so and having to move every few years, perhaps even overseas.

Concern (or hope) #2 is that they might divorce if their careers are so incompatible. I can understand your concern about this situation. You don't mention if there are any children involved.

My question would be "What was their agreement or thoughts about his military service at the time they were married?" Was it agreed or assumed that he would serve out his 5- or 8-year enlistment and then get out, or was it agreed or assumed that he would be in for 20+ years? The answer to that question would guide my recommendation as to what to do about the situation.

Thank you for your reply! Originally, he tried out for MARSOC, then said (to us when he was asking for our blessings)if he did not make it, then he would get out after the 5 years. Well, he got cut after a few days and now wants to try for CID, he told us if he did not get through that, then he would get out. We spent so much money on our child's education and know it is not ideal to marry a Marine due to the wifes job being 2nd fiddle, but I will ask her what they discussed prior to this. I know that they both really expected him to make MARSOC, but once he did not. She is very career oriented and they are both so young, it is just very frustrating, especially becasue they are at 29 palms, no jobs out there for her at all!!! No kids

Old 05-01-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Thank you for your reply! Originally, he tried out for MARSOC, then said (to us when he was asking for our blessings)if he did not make it, then he would get out after the 5 years. Well, he got cut after a few days and now wants to try for CID, he told us if he did not get through that, then he would get out. We spent so much money on our child's education and know it is not ideal to marry a Marine due to the wifes job being 2nd fiddle, but I will ask her what they discussed prior to this. I know that they both really expected him to make MARSOC, but once he did not. She is very career oriented and they are both so young, it is just very frustrating, especially becasue they are at 29 palms, no jobs out there for her at all

Old 05-01-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your reply! Originally, he tried out for MARSOC, then said (to us when he was asking for our blessings)if he did not make it, then he would get out after the 5 years. Well, he got cut after a few days and now wants to try for CID, he told us if he did not get through that, then he would get out. We spent so much money on our child's education and know it is not ideal to marry a Marine due to the wifes job being 2nd fiddle, but I will ask her what they discussed prior to this. I know that they both really expected him to make MARSOC, but once he did not. She is very career oriented and they are both so young, it is just very frustrating, especially becasue they are at 29 palms, no jobs out there for her at all
What are your son-in-law's education qualifications for any other job (other than his current military job)? Quite often, a young man goes into the military with little more than a high school education, and often even the high school education wasn't exactly outstanding to begin with.

So, when it's time for his enlistment to expire, it presents a really tough choice. Does he re-enlist to continue his current job and therefore have job security, or does he allow his current job to expire and then be thrown out into the world where it usually takes something more than just a high school diploma to earn a decent living?

Hopefully, he learned something useful in the military where that knowledge and skill would transfer easily to a good civilian job. Otherwise, his choices are rather limited unless he knows someone with some "pull" who could get him a decent job on the outside, i.e. civilian life.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
What are your son-in-law's education qualifications for any other job (other than his current military job)? Quite often, a young man goes into the military with little more than a high school education, and often even the high school education wasn't exactly outstanding to begin with.

So, when it's time for his enlistment to expire, it presents a really tough choice. Does he re-enlist to continue his current job and therefore have job security, or does he allow his current job to expire and then be thrown out into the world where it usually takes something more than just a high school diploma to earn a decent living?

Hopefully, he learned something useful in the military where that knowledge and skill would transfer easily to a good civilian job. Otherwise, his choices are rather limited unless he knows someone with some "pull" who could get him a decent job on the outside, i.e. civilian life.

He was security forces at his other base and he became a Marshall Arts Instructor as well. He was in all AP classes in High School and from what I understand, has some AA credit as well. He had mentioned getting certified with HVACC, but that has only been mentioned during that same conversation as stated above so I just do not get what his deal is. I just talked to my daughter and she is so frustrated, but I get it, I really do. His mom and her want him to stay in the military, but I do not, not that it is my choice. Thank you for "talking" it has just been very upsetting

Old 05-02-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
He was security forces at his other base and he became a Marshall Arts Instructor as well. He was in all AP classes in High School and from what I understand, has some AA credit as well. He had mentioned getting certified with HVACC, but that has only been mentioned during that same conversation as stated above so I just do not get what his deal is. I just talked to my daughter and she is so frustrated, but I get it, I really do. His mom and her want him to stay in the military, but I do not, not that it is my choice. Thank you for "talking" it has just been very upsetting
Now I'm confused. I thought that your daughter wanted your Son in law to get out of the military because she didn't like the locations they are being sent, PLUS the fact that she can't use her education at these remote locations. Now you are saying that she (your daughter) wants him to stay in the military? Please explain this conflicting information.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Now I'm confused. I thought that your daughter wanted your Son in law to get out of the military because she didn't like the locations they are being sent, PLUS the fact that she can't use her education at these remote locations. Now you are saying that she (your daughter) wants him to stay in the military? Please explain this conflicting information.

Ha , I am sorry for the confusion......I have NO IDEA why she wants him to stay in the Military, the only thing I can think of, is that the benefits are really good and even though he did great in High School, she said he really does not like to study and I am not sure how interested he is in going to college. It is a no win for her. She has applied to over 30 jobs out there in and around 29 Palms and either she is not qualified enough or lacks experience. So, she went back to looking for server jobs and the only places hiring are fast food, which if she gets desperate enough, she will do. I know, it is just so frustrating to see all this happening, but hoping the Asset Protection job that she applied for will pan out. Thank you for always replying, it has helped!

Old 05-06-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Ha , I am sorry for the confusion......I have NO IDEA why she wants him to stay in the Military, the only thing I can think of, is that the benefits are really good and even though he did great in High School, she said he really does not like to study and I am not sure how interested he is in going to college. It is a no win for her. She has applied to over 30 jobs out there in and around 29 Palms and either she is not qualified enough or lacks experience. So, she went back to looking for server jobs and the only places hiring are fast food, which if she gets desperate enough, she will do. I know, it is just so frustrating to see all this happening, but hoping the Asset Protection job that she applied for will pan out. Thank you for always replying, it has helped!
Now it is becoming clearer to me. Your son in law perhaps wants to stay in the military and make a career out of it. And, apparently, your daughter is fine with that. It's YOU who doesn't like it.

With all due respect, it's time for you to butt out of the situation. My suggestion is that you support your daughter and her hubby regardless of what their career choices are. Further, keep your opinions to yourself unless you want to risk alienating your own daughter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues