Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 12:26 PM

194 posts, read 152,032 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Hi there My Marine just tried out for MARSOC and after the first week, was cut along with 38 other men. He was upset about it, but doing well. He stated that hethinks he can tryout again or even try for the Green Berets, but he is not saying what he wants to do next. He has another year on his contract with the Marines. I have looked online and do not see much about "crossingover" or much about a second try for MARSOC.He is not saying much either right now, so I thought I would check with this site. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 06:52 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
The only crossing would be enlisting in another service after the US Marines release him. The other branch recruiters would be trying to get him. The so called Delta Force has always recruited from all branches and specialties, not just the US Army Infantry, Special Forces and Rangers.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:21 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times
If he failed MARSOC after 1 week, chances are to make it TIER 1 @ Delta are very low especially if the word gets pass to the Delta community why he got dropped the 1st week. They talk to each other. Before they pick you for their long training, they must know you will stick around for awhile. Do you know why he got dropped? Performance or personality?

By the way, Tier 1 JSOC with DELTA or DEVGRU are not by recruitment but invitation. You can submit a package with the blessing of your command but they decide if you are invited for selection. If you got dropped from SF or Rangers the first week , Delta are not going to invite you. If you get dropped from BUDS, DEVGRU are not going to invite you.

It's ok. I served regular military. Maybe he is not SF material but a lot of other paths in the regular military he can take. I didn't pass the entry test for SEALs in BOOT CAMP, I'm an average swimmer, I pass all except the swim test, missed the time and didn't make it so I served regular Navy. That's the way it has to be. If I can't make the entry 500m swim test in a pool, chances are I'm not making the 5 mile swim in the cold ocean at night with the sharks at BUDS.

He might be upset but it's the best thing for him and the platoon.Better to get dropped than to get killed or killed others.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
If he failed MARSOC after 1 week, chances are to make it TIER 1 @ Delta are very low especially if the word gets pass to the Delta community why he got dropped the 1st week. They talk to each other. Before they pick you for their long training, they must know you will stick around for awhile. Do you know why he got dropped? Performance or personality?

By the way, Tier 1 JSOC with DELTA or DEVGRU are not by recruitment but invitation. You can submit a package with the blessing of your command but they decide if you are invited for selection. If you got dropped from SF or Rangers the first week , Delta are not going to invite you. If you get dropped from BUDS, DEVGRU are not going to invite you.

It's ok. I served regular military. Maybe he is not SF material but a lot of other paths in the regular military he can take. I didn't pass the entry test for SEALs in BOOT CAMP, I'm an average swimmer, I pass all except the swim test, missed the time and didn't make it so I served regular Navy. That's the way it has to be. If I can't make the entry 500m swim test in a pool, chances are I'm not making the 5 mile swim in the cold ocean at night with the sharks at BUDS.

He might be upset but it's the best thing for him and the platoon.Better to get dropped than to get killed or killed others.
He said that he passed the swimming and running, but did not mention personality? I did not know that was also part of it. How do they determine what personality they take? I am now very confused, he is saying he was invited back to try again, but he is not sure yet.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:57 AM

I'm throwing reasons to get dropped but he got dropped after 1 week, so that's too short of a time for personality. It takes the Cadre a while to breakdown each individual and get rid of the ones with personality issues and can't work well with others. It's a 11 month training. They usually tell him. He has to know what's the reason he got dropped the 1st week for him to work on it and that he has a window to return. In BUDS if you fail a phase but don't quit, you get to repeat it or get roll back to the next class and only if you fail it again you are out. The Cadre decides if you deserve a 2nd or 3rd try.

I have 3 Navy buddies that went to BUDS. 1 quit the first day of training, he just wanted to get out of the Fleet and have a few months on land duty. The other one got dropped phase 2 pool comp. He was rolled back and couldn't pass that phase and the 3rd one made it but it's a long pipeline. He told me there were many times he wanted to quit. The Navy makes even the water suck. BUDS is made to make you quit or kick you out. I'm sure MARSOC is familiar. Is not a Gentleman's course.

Tell him to keep his head up high, it's a tough course for a reason. How is he in the relationship with his current command? They have also a say if they want to send him to try again. Some commands don't want to lose people and make it hard for Marines to re-try. My friend that quit BUDS the 1st day, he had to wait years in the FLEET to tryout for BUDS because his command didn't want to send him, they wanted to keep him in the Fleet. He just wanted to get out of the Fleet. Does he has a plan B in the Marines?

Old 01-29-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I'm throwing reasons to get dropped but he got dropped after 1 week, so that's too short of a time for personality. It takes the Cadre a while to breakdown each individual and get rid of the ones with personality issues and can't work well with others. It's a 11 month training. They usually tell him. He has to know what's the reason he got dropped the 1st week for him to work on it and that he has a window to return. In BUDS if you fail a phase but don't quit, you get to repeat it or get roll back to the next class and only if you fail it again you are out. The Cadre decides if you deserve a 2nd or 3rd try.

I have 3 Navy buddies that went to BUDS. 1 quit the first day of training, he just wanted to get out of the Fleet and have a few months on land duty. The other one got dropped phase 2 pool comp. He was rolled back and couldn't pass that phase and the 3rd one made it but it's a long pipeline. He told me there were many times he wanted to quit. The Navy makes even the water suck. BUDS is made to make you quit or kick you out. I'm sure MARSOC is familiar. Is not a Gentleman's course.

Tell him to keep his head up high, it's a tough course for a reason. How is he in the relationship with his current command? They have also a say if they want to send him to try again. Some commands don't want to lose people and make it hard for Marines to re-try. My friend that quit BUDS the 1st day, he had to wait years in the FLEET to tryout for BUDS because his command didn't want to send him, they wanted to keep him in the Fleet. He just wanted to get out of the Fleet. Does he has a plan B in the Marines?
Thank you for your response. This was just the selection and assessment, so I am not sure if he wants to try again for sure or not. He mentioned the Green Berets, but do not think he can just move over into the Army being he still has a year on his Marine contract. He has really good rapport with his commanding officers, and I believe they would be good with him leaving to tryout again. He is security for the Naval Subs, so his job is fairly specialized i think, so I am not sure what else he can do. He has orders to leave to go to 29 Palms in April, so I am not sure how that works as the next trryout is in April, ah so much to think about. Wea re talking later this evening about everything, it is just hard to know where to go from here.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
Thank you for your response. This was just the selection and assessment, so I am not sure if he wants to try again for sure or not. He mentioned the Green Berets, but do not think he can just move over into the Army being he still has a year on his Marine contract. He has really good rapport with his commanding officers, and I believe they would be good with him leaving to tryout again. He is security for the Naval Subs, so his job is fairly specialized i think, so I am not sure what else he can do. He has orders to leave to go to 29 Palms in April, so I am not sure how that works as the next trryout is in April, ah so much to think about. Wea re talking later this evening about everything, it is just hard to know where to go from here.

Sounds good that he has a good relationship with his current command. Good commands have good support. Bad ones are just that, bad. If he has 1 year left in the contract, he would have to extend for MARSOC anyway. They are not going to invest all the training in the pipeline without his commitment to the Marines for another term. They would want a deployment or 2.

I hope you both figure it out but he has to know why 38 Marines including him got cut in the 1st week. They all talk to each other. That's a lot for the 1st week because that training gets harder and harder with each phase. Was it shooting? SEALs don't get to shooting until phase 3 @ BUDS and that's after 4 months from day 1 then after BUDS, they have 26 week on top of that to get their Trident. Does MARSOC does shooting in the 1st week? You said he passed the PT and swim part, so what else they do the 1st week?

I rather get drop in the 1st week then getting drop at the 10th month. Too much time and sweat invested. I know SEALs that got dropped after BUDS @ SQT. I heard of 1 quitting because he didn't want to jump out of planes. You make it that far and walk away because of jumping out of planes it's rough.

Old 01-29-2024, 04:57 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
I entered BUDS ,Little Creek Va. 1969 . We started with 24 men with various ratings and finished with 8 the end of phase 3 . most quitting . all rolled back into the Fleet , some having extended their contracts for a long time to enter the program.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:44 PM

You are a Nam Vet. That was another league. I went to Boot Camp in 1990 and I thought I was a decent swimmer until the entry test for BUDs. I passed the Push ups, sit ups, pull ups and the run then came the swim test and I missed it by 25 seconds but I was swimming hard and I was dying on the side of the pool. They told if I want to re-take the test again in 2 weeks and I said hell No. Even if I pass it, no way I'm passing the real swim training @ Coronado. I'm not doing a 5 mile ocean swim at night. I asked jokingly @ one of the SEALs instructors giving the test if they had a dry SEAL Team and he told me smiling, I should have join the Army. I said Roger that. Navy even makes the water suck. I knew my limits early on. LOL

But I did pass the 1 mile swim with full flight gear and helmet @ Aircrew Candidate School in Pensacola. That training was fun. They gave you a full hour. I made it gliding doing the side stroke all the swim. No way I could have done the 5 mile swim or even the 2 mile with BUDS times. You need to be a beast physically and mentally to pass these trainings because BUDS is made to make you quit or kick you out.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:23 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for all of your information, we are young and it is hard to know what to do at this point, but we are talking tonight after he gets back to see our options. He also has orders to go to another base in California for April so not sure how that would work out being that the MARSOC training is in April...but we will wait and see, thank you so much again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues