Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2024, 06:14 PM

17,587 posts, read 39,303,859 times

Advertisements

So, I found out the term that describes my hatred of certain sounds: misophonia. I have an unnatural hatred of certain sounds (and sights that go with them) particularly gum chewing/smacking, coughing/hacking incessantly, sometimes kissing sounds (as in when watching a movie) and others. My irritation can range from mild to wanting to smack someone. I also detest the sound of people whispering, which is ironic since there is a term called "asmr" where certain sounds (including whispering) make people feel relaxed.

I know I'm not the only one, and in the scheme of things there are worse things, but sometimes it's hard to hide my irritation. If this describes you, what are your triggers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 02:26 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,297,752 times
The gum snapping thing, arggh! I've actually gone clear across a store to another aisle to get away from it. Don't even like to look at someone chewing it. If I'm driving, have actually made a gum popping passenger throw it out.
Same with noisy and open mouth eaters.
Also, ballpoint pen clickers.
And sniffers...have a head cold? Stay away from me, please.
It was many years and the advent of the internet to find out it was an actual "thing"

Old 05-30-2024, 06:14 AM

18,581 posts, read 18,884,097 times
Since I was very young Ive been severely annoyed with loud eaters... I hate talking whilte eating until they have to thump down the food in their throat.. and hear it thud... usually greedy eaters who cant stuff enough in and swallow hard... chewing loudly as well as slurping drinks... anything that can be heard by eatings in general drives me mad.... I take a pounding headache and have to get away from the person eating this way... I find it offensive and ignorant ..and it does have a medical name...The condition, misophonia, is far more than simply disliking noises such as nails being scraped down a blackboard.it makes me take an instant headache and hatred of the person making the eating noise..

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

17,587 posts, read 39,303,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Since I was very young Ive been severely annoyed with loud eaters... I hate talking whilte eating until they have to thump down the food in their throat.. and hear it thud... usually greedy eaters who cant stuff enough in and swallow hard... chewing loudly as well as slurping drinks... anything that can be heard by eatings in general drives me mad.... I take a pounding headache and have to get away from the person eating this way... I find it offensive and ignorant ..and it does have a medical name...The condition, misophonia, is far more than simply disliking noises such as nails being scraped down a blackboard.it makes me take an instant headache and hatred of the person making the eating noise..
Yes, I understand and agree completely! I hate the noises people make when they eat, especially eating with their mouth open and any kind of nasal/snorting sounds. Eeek!

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,160,474 times
LOL at this thread, though it should probably be in the Psychology section?

Brings back memories of the horror of childhood dinners, forced to sit at the table and wait while our parents ate salad before the food was served. We kids hated salad, and the slow crunching sound from my father chewing and chewing and chewing always irritated me to the point of disgust. I started protesting around age 10 and due to a bad attitude was made to sit and eat alone at the kitchen counter.

Old Today, 04:07 AM

18,581 posts, read 18,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The gum snapping thing, arggh! I've actually gone clear across a store to another aisle to get away from it. Don't even like to look at someone chewing it. If I'm driving, have actually made a gum popping passenger throw it out.
Same with noisy and open mouth eaters.
Also, ballpoint pen clickers.
And sniffers...have a head cold? Stay away from me, please.
It was many years and the advent of the internet to find out it was an actual "thing"
I also hate a tv being turned up loud... movies where screaming or a baby crying goes on too long... anyone shouting,,and wonder if is has something more to do with brain signals of what we hear.. Its more than being easily annoyed.... its like torture to have to sit at a table with noisy ignorant eaters.. especially when they want to talk all through the dinner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health