Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 09:24 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

I’ve lived with both for at least 4 decades. Regardless of how my life is going, thoughts of suicide is always in my mind. Counseling and medication has made living with it easier, one thing I learned was my angry and sometimes violent outburst was also a sign of my condition acting up. I’m going to share some things I’ve found that in some way helps to live with such conditions. Oh, and I also have PTSD from military experience.

1. Give up alcohol entirely. Alcohol is a depressant and can lead to regret, depression, and anxiety the next day.
2. Reduce caffeine intake. During my navy days I could easily drink more than 10 cups of coffee to deal with my 18 hour work days. Today I’m down to 2 cups of coffee a day and an occasional caffeinated cola or tea no more than once a week.
3. Herbal hot teas. In place of iced water, try replacing it with an herbal hot tea. If you need it sweetened then try using honey instead of sugar.there are a variety of herbal teas that have a calming effect so try them all until you find the one you enjoy.
4. Take inventory of your muscle tension. Take a moment around mid-day to feel each muscle group one at a time and focus on their tension and try to get them relaxed. First time I did this I was shocked by how much tension I was carrying in my muscles, especially my back and neck.
5. Take a walk. Not an exercise walk. This is a focus walk. Start walking and pay attention to your stride and posture, imagine there’s a string on the top of your head pulling your head up like being held by a puppet master. Pull your head and shoulders upright for good posture. Swing your arms loosely with your steps. And lastly, force yourself to smile that’d think about good things you enjoy in life.
6. Lower the volume. So many people live in a loud home. Take some time to turn off all sources of audio like TV, radio, phone, tablet, games, etc. spend at least an hour with the audio off. Noise is a stressor. Over time you don’t realize how much noise you’re surrounded by and how loud they are. When you do turn these things back on you may need to lower the volume and not have multiple audio sources on at the same time.
7. Communicate your issues with loved ones carefully. Loud sudden noises can startle me and increase my anxiety. If I’m reaching my limit at a crowded and loud family gathering I quietly let my wife know. She is a people person and she knows how to help us make an early exit or get outside together to calm down before going back inside.
8. Most importantly, do not self medicate with narcotics or synthetic drugs. These drugs can make things worse. They may make you feel better while using, but you’ll feel worse when the effects are gone. You keep chasing that feeling using the drug’s effects as a crutch. Eventually the crutch becomes a ball and chain of addiction. Seek professional help before you decide to self medicate. Don’t use social media for advice on narcotics to use to treat yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 02:54 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
both have been linked to gut dysbiosis and/or leaky gut. might consider going on protocols to help both. i've seen it COMPLETELY reverse serious mental issues of two family members. this is new science, but more confirmation is coming out regularly.

search terms to play around with -- pubmed microbiome depression dysbiosis anxiety

lengthy thread here about the topic, including papers showing mental problems connected to bad gut - https://www.city-data.com/forum/alte...egins-gut.html

Old 01-25-2024, 12:14 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Interesting list, OP. I have similar afflictions and it's taken a long time to learn to cope with it. There's no cure, only amendments. What do you think caused your conditions other than military PTSD? Born that way?

#6 Loud home. I'm aware that a lot of people like having music/TV noise going on at home and they would probably find it strange or creepy that I live in absolute silence most of the time. I watch movies sometimes, but other than that the home is totally silent. There's enough noise in daily life and home is a quiet retreat for me.

You're lucky to have a partner that knows when it's time for you to leave social situations. I've had partners/dates/friends that got angry when I hit my limit at parties or gatherings, telling me to apologize because I was embarrassing them or to just 'fake it' to maintain appearances. That just makes it worse.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Interesting list, OP. I have similar afflictions and it's taken a long time to learn to cope with it. There's no cure, only amendments. What do you think caused your conditions other than military PTSD? Born that way?

#6 Loud home. I'm aware that a lot of people like having music/TV noise going on at home and they would probably find it strange or creepy that I live in absolute silence most of the time. I watch movies sometimes, but other than that the home is totally silent. There's enough noise in daily life and home is a quiet retreat for me.

You're lucky to have a partner that knows when it's time for you to leave social situations. I've had partners/dates/friends that got angry when I hit my limit at parties or gatherings, telling me to apologize because I was embarrassing them or to just 'fake it' to maintain appearances. That just makes it worse.
At age 43 I was diagnosed as having Asperger’s. By then I had already served 8 years in the military, started a career and got married for a second time. Learning about this has helped me to learn to cope with and identify my issues before they became a bigger problem. Was undergoing counseling for depression and PTSD at the time when my counselor advised me to get a test for autism. I’m turning 55 in February and have been with the same company for 24 years and still married 18 years.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:17 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve lived with both for at least 4 decades. Regardless of how my life is going, thoughts of suicide is always in my mind. Counseling and medication has made living with it easier, one thing I learned was my angry and sometimes violent outburst was also a sign of my condition acting up. I’m going to share some things I’ve found that in some way helps to live with such conditions. Oh, and I also have PTSD from military experience.

1. Give up alcohol entirely. Alcohol is a depressant and can lead to regret, depression, and anxiety the next day.
2. Reduce caffeine intake. During my navy days I could easily drink more than 10 cups of coffee to deal with my 18 hour work days. Today I’m down to 2 cups of coffee a day and an occasional caffeinated cola or tea no more than once a week.
3. Herbal hot teas. In place of iced water, try replacing it with an herbal hot tea. If you need it sweetened then try using honey instead of sugar.there are a variety of herbal teas that have a calming effect so try them all until you find the one you enjoy.
4. Take inventory of your muscle tension. Take a moment around mid-day to feel each muscle group one at a time and focus on their tension and try to get them relaxed. First time I did this I was shocked by how much tension I was carrying in my muscles, especially my back and neck.
5. Take a walk. Not an exercise walk. This is a focus walk. Start walking and pay attention to your stride and posture, imagine there’s a string on the top of your head pulling your head up like being held by a puppet master. Pull your head and shoulders upright for good posture. Swing your arms loosely with your steps. And lastly, force yourself to smile that’d think about good things you enjoy in life.
6. Lower the volume. So many people live in a loud home. Take some time to turn off all sources of audio like TV, radio, phone, tablet, games, etc. spend at least an hour with the audio off. Noise is a stressor. Over time you don’t realize how much noise you’re surrounded by and how loud they are. When you do turn these things back on you may need to lower the volume and not have multiple audio sources on at the same time.
7. Communicate your issues with loved ones carefully. Loud sudden noises can startle me and increase my anxiety. If I’m reaching my limit at a crowded and loud family gathering I quietly let my wife know. She is a people person and she knows how to help us make an early exit or get outside together to calm down before going back inside.
8. Most importantly, do not self medicate with narcotics or synthetic drugs. These drugs can make things worse. They may make you feel better while using, but you’ll feel worse when the effects are gone. You keep chasing that feeling using the drug’s effects as a crutch. Eventually the crutch becomes a ball and chain of addiction. Seek professional help before you decide to self medicate. Don’t use social media for advice on narcotics to use to treat yourself.
Dear GM.....I feel for you having to deal with these issues which I have also struggled with intermittently throughout my life as well. There is usually an identifiable trigger for these conditions if one is courageous enough to look for and identify them and then create a strategy to help overcome them. The list you have provided here are all approaches I have used with great success.

Not using alcohol (or other drugs) cannot be overstated.

Quiet is essential to helping create a peaceful headspace. That said, I do enjoy low volume yoga music...very soothing for me.

Exercise is good but I do agree with you about a 'focus' walk rather than a cardio type walk, although both are very good for different reasons. I very much enjoy a stroll through the woods....a LONG stroll. Think 'forest bathing.' Nature is a balm. Yoga is also very good for reducing tension and quieting the mind. EDIT: I also swim and I love it.

Thank you for sharing your experience and tips. I believe there are many more people that suffer from these conditions than we really know and I know this info will be helpful to them. xoxo

Old 01-25-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Dear GM.....I feel for you having to deal with these issues which I have also struggled with intermittently throughout my life as well. There is usually an identifiable trigger for these conditions if one is courageous enough to look for and identify them and then create a strategy to help overcome them. The list you have provided here are all approaches I have used with great success.

Not using alcohol (or other drugs) cannot be overstated.

Quiet is essential to helping create a peaceful headspace. That said, I do enjoy low volume yoga music...very soothing for me.

Exercise is good but I do agree with you about a 'focus' walk rather than a cardio type walk, although both are very good for different reasons. I very much enjoy a stroll through the woods....a LONG stroll. Think 'forest bathing.' Nature is a balm. Yoga is also very good for reducing tension and quieting the mind. EDIT: I also swim and I love it.

Thank you for sharing your experience and tips. I believe there are many more people that suffer from these conditions than we really know and I know this info will be helpful to them. xoxo
From 1994 to 1996 I was stationed on a ship in Gaeta Italy. I loved walking the roads, water front, and mountain trails. Use to love swimming but shoulder injury makes swimming painful. Waiting for season change to occasionally walk the city park. There is a city park that includes a nature trail but the nearby community has had an increase in crime. I’m lucky that my job means I work alone for all but 5 days a month.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:49 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
From 1994 to 1996 I was stationed on a ship in Gaeta Italy. I loved walking the roads, water front, and mountain trails. Use to love swimming but shoulder injury makes swimming painful. Waiting for season change to occasionally walk the city park. There is a city park that includes a nature trail but the nearby community has had an increase in crime. I’m lucky that my job means I work alone for all but 5 days a month.
I am with you in spirit!
I ride my bike, too, in the summer months. We have rail trails here that keep me off the roads (which are frightening to ride on and I won't) and I figure if anyone tries to confront me, I am going to peddle away like mad!

Old 01-27-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I am with you in spirit!
I ride my bike, too, in the summer months. We have rail trails here that keep me off the roads (which are frightening to ride on and I won't) and I figure if anyone tries to confront me, I am going to peddle away like mad!
No off road bike trails where I live. Use to love riding a bicycle around town. As roads widen and vehicles get larger, the roads have become more dangerous for bicycle riders. Then there’s the hardcore thieves always with bolt cutters in their vehicle to steal locked bicycles. In the 70s and 80s I never had a lock for my bicycle and it was never stolen. Early 2000 I had my bicycle locked up and someone stole all the parts that weren’t locked. That was the last bicycle I’ve owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health