Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 04:48 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,656,573 times

Advertisements

Gaba, Glutamate, B 12, Lithium Orotate, Omega 3's vs Arachadonic acids (Omega 6's) &?? ANyone use or comment on efficacy of these items or in conjuction w/ one another? Or simply put what works --& what does not?!

G/f is afflicted w/ it & has been for over 30yr even prior to meeting her. So when she gets home from hosp i need a regimen to help assist her recovery after toxic lithium levels sent her into acute Renal failure that they rever 2 wk ago. She was on 1200mg/day of lithium but dropped to anorexic lbs of 100 at 5.5" thus the toxicity as too much lithium ingested for too little body wght.

Quite the mess 3 wks ago & is still manic now as Lithium levels fell to way under therapeutic of .3 vs needed levels between .8-1.2. Wow are we far from titrating her to that level. Called nurse today & she said she's spitting out her Depakote being used adjunct to spare kidneys & also said, doc is not using Lihtium yet.

I said, um how can she get stable if not at least a dose daily of Lithium to achieve upward climb toward therapeutic. Me vs the world... err, the med staff & docs/nurses. Oh well authority always wins I guess. let's hope they get it right this wk.

They Talking of discharge date of about Sep 10-11, ha, never happen w/out 2nd mood stabilizer -- even w/ assist from Seroquel a bigtime atypical anti-psychotic agent (I hate its use on her brain chemistry but umm again, who am i? as they say there).

Any psych folks out here? I Need advice & DM/PM me if need be, TY

Only choices left will be mood stabilizers; Lamictal, Tegretol (carbamazapine) & maybe another typical (not atypical) anti psychotic. No other anti manic or anti convulsant that I know of...

ALso she's on .88mcg daily of Synthroid but T4 levels should stay up, yes? Would Cytomel act on T3 receptors & thus be better--- as 1mg of Cytomel is stronger than 1mg of Synthroid, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Wow, I am alone in this it seems. Surely someone has ideas, no?

The psychiatrists are basically in left field when it comes to anything less than med/allopathic adjustments. Ask re natural & since no $ to be made by physicians -- then may as well bark at the moon. It may give more answers. yrs in med school & you'd think they'd use any adjunct therapy that'd work. No, just straight big pharma to further wreck longterm neuro-psych brain cells.

No wonder elderly go alternative & have lost faith in 1/2 of America's docs.

I'm not even there yet & already think/know alot are themselves crackpots!

Old 09-02-2019, 01:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,896,662 times
There are quite a few medication options these days besides lithium. Which one (or combination) is appropriate depends on what type of bipolar disorder the person has, and how the individual responds to the medications.

Maintaining general good health and regular sleep cycles can help with mood, and various supplements can support that, but there isn't a real OTC fix for bipolar disorder. Additionally, some supplements and "natural" remedies can interact poorly with prescription meds, so make sure to consult a knowledgeable doc before experimenting.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
There are quite a few medication options these days besides lithium. Which one (or combination) is appropriate depends on what type of bipolar disorder the person has, and how the individual responds to the medications.

Maintaining general good health and regular sleep cycles can help with mood, and various supplements can support that, but there isn't a real OTC fix for bipolar disorder. Additionally, some supplements and "natural" remedies can interact poorly with prescription meds, so make sure to consult a knowledgeable doc before experimenting.
What really is troubling is that she has an anorexic eating prob (wants to stay under now 100lbs at 5'5" -- unreal I know) & these meds cause lb gain (lithium/depakote/seroquel, etc) so thus on & off & if I don't watch out-- she can skip them all. This borderline type behavior over last 4-5 yrs caused her to be arrested shoplifting in '15 -- unbeknownst to me til she came home w/ 5 citations & court date one eve.

Ya you think that is easy? So.. i got her thru an ARD-type program for 1st timers (no record if she attended classes, etc) yet the anti-social behavior remains. In men it IS antisocial. In women it is not called that but rather; Borderline Pers. Disorder.

Understand folks? Thus on & off & if I don't dispense or often she'll skip. Then she'll take 300mg Zoloft as it blunts appetite (induces break thru mania) as she knows this -- aka perfect weight loss drug. Docs say over the top end of prescribed 200mg has no efficacy studies backing that -- & it is possibly unsafe. Her psych is aware & tells me to guard vs it. But how can I be responsible for her meds at all times?

Real fun along w/ my own probs...

Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 PM

I can tell you really love her and are doing your best to help her and support her.

You might think about seeing a therapist yourself, if only to have someone to talk this all through with. I lived for many years with a person who had bipolar disorder and the experience did a number on my head and my own perception of what's "normal."

Old 09-02-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I can tell you really love her and are doing your best to help her and support her.

You might think about seeing a therapist yourself, if only to have someone to talk this all through with. I lived for many years with a person who had bipolar disorder and the experience did a number on my head and my own perception of what's "normal."
U are completely right! If u've been there then u know. Easy 'to talk the talk but walk the walk' as my fav wrestler Ric Flair used to say in the 80s. 'To be the man--ya gottta beat the man', you betcha Ricyo u betcha...

Haha, I think Im going insane now too

W/ her in hospital & me & cat alone -- my wine consumption has gone up... oops...

Cat does not like wine! Haha, no I know cats should never be near things like that & just joking as it is ALL for me. She can eat the Friskies cans the feral n her are sharing 2x/day. He's a big alpha tom & outside & still comes daily in daybreak & dusk.

Ah what a mess I got on my hands, eh?

Old 09-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ah what a mess I got on my hands, eh?
No joke.

Your girlfriend is safe in inpatient treatment for the time being - take a moment to breathe and decompress and look after yourself, eh? Maybe get out into nature or treat yourself to an activity you don't ordinarily get to do often. Good luck, man.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
No joke.

Your girlfriend is safe in inpatient treatment for the time being - take a moment to breathe and decompress and look after yourself, eh? Maybe get out into nature or treat yourself to an activity you don't ordinarily get to do often. Good luck, man.
TY very much & joking aside, I appreciate this alot! I tend to just w/draw in times as this but you're right doing things to distract are very beneficial.

On a good note; kitty & I are really bonding & for me that is reason enough to tough this out.

It is like being the lone Navy Seal still upright when all his team is down n it is up to him to make or break the team.

Haha, insane I know but it works for me in times as these.

Did a good workout this morn so I'm still alive as Pearl jam says. LOL

Old 09-02-2019, 02:48 PM

26,839 posts, read 27,005,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
The psychiatrists are basically in left field when it comes to anything less than med/allopathic adjustments. Ask re natural & since no $ to be made by physicians -- then may as well bark at the moon.
Bipolar I is a very severe disorder (as opposed to the more treatable Bipolar II) and most likely does not respond effectively to homeopathic medicine.

Also, if she suffers from anorexia, this is an addictive disorder and an additional problem she has to deal with. I hope that her doctors can find the right mix of meds for her. Good advice from Frostnip.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,379,218 times
You need really good professional help with this, not internet doctors. This kind of thing is no joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health