Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2023, 01:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

I will be in Memphis for business for a couple of days in early October (Sat. night through Tuesday afternoon). I will be staying downtown near the U-Memphis law school. Is it worthwhile to rent a car to do some exploring, or just uber from the airport and poke around in the downtown area on foot for a couple of days?

Note - I have no interest in visiting Graceland, but i would like to see the Peabody duck march - that would be amusing. Those are the only two points of interest that I know of.

Renting a car is not terrible (about $200) and I might spend close to that on Uber plus tip to get from and back to the airport. However If parking is a big hassle, or if there is little use for a car, there is no point to pay for it to sit in the hotel parking lot.

Also any tips on the cool things to do are welcome. I like history/architecture, oddball places, lively busy areas, jazz, Blues, classic rock at a tavern or street location woudl be nice. I have not been to Memphis except to drive through and not terribly likely to be there again (unless something is so amazing that i just have to return). I am older (60) so no longer interested in the get drunk and throw up type places, nor in going anywhere likely to result in fighting. Too old for all that BS.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 12:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,987 times
I would say nay to renting a car. You really only have 2 days-Sunday and Monday-and I presume Monday will be business. So, maybe one full day. If you were there longer, probably.

Within walking distance:
*Peabody
*Beale Street
*Tom Lee Park/River walk
*Restaurants (get Central BBQ downtown and hit the Civil Rights Museum)
*Live music (worth checking out BB Kings for live music/drink)
*Rooftops
*Redbirds (minor league baseball)
*Civil Rights Museum

If you are into music, I would probably say Sun Studios is worth it, which is in the medical district just west of Midtown and east of Downtown. That is a really short Uber from downtown--maybe 1.5 miles or so.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:57 PM

472 posts, read 346,771 times
Agreed with the above poster- the Hu Hotel (or the Madison)- has a nice rooftop bar. The others are great- I personally am a big fan of rendezvous' brisket. Flight is another good restaurant downtown- as is majestic grille. And you can just take the street car on main. You shouldn't need a car unless you want one. Downtown is relatively safe at night, especially Beale and Main.

Old 09-29-2023, 02:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Thank you. This is a perfect response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: