Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2022, 02:47 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times

Advertisements

I have heard from several people about how rowdy Germantown High is these days after school, ever since the former MCS version of SCS took over and started running the school.

Germantown is still considered by many as Memphis's premiere suburb, so I thought about all the homeowners who live directly around Germantown High. It made me curious: have the homes in the vicinity of Germantown High seen a drop in value due to the current state of Germantown High?

Just thought I'd ask, because that's usually what happens to the surrounding homes when a school turns less desirable, but having grown up in Memphis, I find it hard to believe that ANY area of Germantown could see much, if any, home depreciation. Again, just curious, and thought maybe someone on this forum might know the answer. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 05:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I have heard from several people about how rowdy Germantown High is these days after school, ever since the former MCS version of SCS took over and started running the school.

Germantown is still considered by many as Memphis's premiere suburb, so I thought about all the homeowners who live directly around Germantown High. It made me curious: have the homes in the vicinity of Germantown High seen a drop in value due to the current state of Germantown High?

Just thought I'd ask, because that's usually what happens to the surrounding homes when a school turns less desirable, but having grown up in Memphis, I find it hard to believe that ANY area of Germantown could see much, if any, home depreciation. Again, just curious, and thought maybe someone on this forum might know the answer. Thanks.
My cousin lives in GT, I will ask her.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:29 PM

472 posts, read 346,357 times
Gtown's home values have not gone down. To get a new home there would most likely be the priciest in Memphis metro area.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,016 times
The high school hasn't affected home values in the area, and there have been a few nearby businesses that were remodeled recently. I think most people in Gtown see GHS as a little Memphis island inside Gtown borders. Thankfully, that's about to end. I worked in another school district, and out-of-towners touring our school incorrectly assumed the 3G's were part of Germantown. It should have never been setup that way.

I have talked to a few GHS grads and a staff member who want to see it bulldozed at this point.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:29 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I have talked to a few GHS grads and a staff member who want to see it bulldozed at this point.
Wow. Was the school messed up THAT bad?!? I know I drove past GHS over the summer and the grass looked to be about 10 feet tall, to the point where it covered up the school sign. I just shook my head and thought about how the school NEVER fell to such poor conditions before SCS took it over. So, I guess one could only imagine how it is on the inside now.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:32 PM

537 posts, read 443,644 times
I have no idea why, but Germantown High School has had a very obnoxious student body on the whole for many, many years.

My sister has 4 grandchildren, and 3 have graduated from MUS and St. Mary's. One grandson is graduating this semester from MUS--saving $23K per year. Many mothers in the Memphis area work to put their children through public schools.

If I had my druthers, I'd be moving farther out in the county than Germantown. Many homes in the area are really showing their ages--needing paint and roofs. Collierville High School seems to be preferable.

Our granddaughter graduated from Arlington High School--way out on the edge of the county.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:29 AM

764 posts, read 1,108,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post

The residents who live within Germantown City Limits are zoned to Germantown City Schools and those students attend Houston High School which is located in the northeast corner of the City of Germantown. The reason for the confusion is that when the suburban cities in Shelby County decided to leave the County school system, they had to send the students within their municipal boundaries to schools within their city limits. However, there was a problem of students who attended Shelby County schools within their cities, but lived in the unincorporated areas. So, as a result Germantown High School actually serves students who don't live within the City of Germantown, but the unincorporated areas to the south of Germantown. There was not a Shelby County High School in the unincorporated areas to the south of Germantown, so they had ot use Germantown High for those students to the south.

It is ironic that the students who attend Germantown High School actually live outside the city of Germantown.

All of the municipal school districts were created when the City of Memphis decided to revoke their City School System charter and as a result, automatically placed their students into the Shelby County School Ssytem.

Therefore, the homes in Germantown which are located near Germantown High School are unaffected by the ratings of that school because they are zoned for Houston High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis