Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 12:52 PM

1,137 posts, read 447,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are lots of people and lives in the world besides you OP. Just because you don't happen to think a storm in WV is big news doesn't mean it isn't. It's about perspective. To people living under threat of hail or tornadoes in the Midwest, that "stupid storm" IS the story they want to hear about!!! How would you feel if networks didn't bother to inform you in your cozy little corner of CA about regional flooding and landslides? Seem to recall you've been through quite a bit of that over the past year.
I agree with the OP. When I turn on the national network news, which is rarely anymore with any network, I want to hear the world and national news first. If it is a local broadcast, then I want to hear local and nearby events that affect the area I live in. National news is easy to access online 24 hours a day. Local news is not as easy to find and thus I want it on topic if I turn on the local station during the local news broadcast.

The more pathetic thing about all news coverage anymore is the constant bombardment of "journalist" giving their opinions. I don't care a bit what some stuffed suit/dress paid to read a teleprompter thinks. Any TV newscaster could be replaced with a high school kid and it would make no difference. If the old news anchors were really any smarter or not is debatable. But the new talking faces are hired for their looks, connections and ad appeal.

The political debates are the ultimate in idiots interrupting, talking over and correcting the people who the viewers actually tuned in to see. But the day to "news anchors" are not much better. Still, I side with the OP. Make the broadcast match the venue. If it is local, do local. If national, then cover national.

If that storm is that important to a viewer, they can find online coverage of it any time of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 12:56 PM

1,137 posts, read 447,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
OK, I'm sorry about ranting, I was just upset.
There is no reason to apologize for stating your opinion. I agree with you. The shows should be matched to their listings. Local news shows should be about local news. If they are going to be an all in one, they could at least make it very clear divisions of the time frame, so I could skip a lot of the national news during my local show. I like national news, but not if I turned the show on to see coverage of an important event in my local area.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:09 PM

1,216 posts, read 504,710 times
I never watch it. Those news programs suck.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:27 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
There is no reason to apologize for stating your opinion. I agree with you. The shows should be matched to their listings. Local news shows should be about local news. If they are going to be an all in one, they could at least make it very clear divisions of the time frame, so I could skip a lot of the national news during my local show. I like national news, but not if I turned the show on to see coverage of an important event in my local area.
After watching national and local news broadcasts across the country for about 6 decades by now, IMHO the priority order of stories is fairly clear already:

Blood & Gut catastrophes/atrocities of all types. Might be international, might be national.
International affairs/violence/aggression.
USA political figure/big business crime/scandal/embarrassments. This and the category above can flip flop if the headline is juicy enough, especially in election years.
USA Private citizen crime/scandal/embarrassments.
Scaremongering: public health/medical/pharma hazards
Sports.
Arts & Entertainment news.
Touchy-feely, tear jerker, good news stories last.

I don't watch any regional affiliated networks these days because there aren't any local enough to be relevant, but when I did, the headline order was fairly predictable. The broadcast lasted about an hour, not 30 minutes. National stuff in the order above during the first 30 minutes, then local level stories during the second. Add weather forecasts to the second 30 minutes. These days I'm left with the national level big network broadcasts. I try to switch around between networks to get a little broader sense of the day's happenings. They all spin their stories and they're all biased. I don't take any of them as gospel but I'm hoping by watching several I'll get a slightly more balanced view. I do not watch much if any anchor "analysis and context". Even more biased opinionated drivel and not much substance.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-03-2024 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-03-2024, 01:38 PM

27,174 posts, read 43,867,759 times
For those that assert the major networks (ABC, NBC and CBS) "spin" their news, what are your primary sources for news? I would guess Fox and OAN but hate to make sweeping assumptions as those who discredit the big three networks similarly. Also how exactly is reporting on varying news pieces in 30 second blips or reporting from the scene spinning any message?

Old 04-03-2024, 01:40 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
OK, I'm sorry about ranting, I was just upset.
upset? Can it be annoying? Sure, but allowing the order of some news broadcast to knot your knickers? There are so many more serious things to get upset about.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:42 PM

8,478 posts, read 6,880,671 times
They’re international and national news organizations with opinions and commentary each with their own political bias. And of course there is local news. There are thousands of other media platforms to select from. When I grew up in the 50’s and early 60’s network news was 15 minutes long. And people subscribed to newspapers which carried local, national and world news with bias and opinions just like media today.

Old 04-03-2024, 05:17 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
If that storm is that important to a viewer, they can find online coverage of it any time of day.
"That storm" affected half the country and killed people. Sounds like national news to me.
Quote:
If they are going to be an all in one, they could at least make it very clear divisions of the time frame, so I could skip a lot of the national news during my local show. I
Yes, because it's all about you.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:29 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,042 times
I've noticed about ABC, they give snippets of stories to be covered, for 3-4 minutes before they get into any news story. Then around the 15 minute mark they'll do one story then break for commercial, come back do another then break again. To me annoying. Now my local news runs more national and regional news than local.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:59 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
The three network news shows are entertainment to sell commercials.

They are in a fight to retain viewership, so they cater to their core audiences - we saw that in the recent kerfuffle over NBC hiring then firing Rona McDaniels in an attempt to broaden the viewing audience - only for NBC to retreat into its core echochamber viewership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media