Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 08:00 AM

5,112 posts, read 2,056,430 times

Advertisements

A weird thought came to my mind, I spotted that post in another forum but I can't mention the website name anymore since one user complained about it, then I decided to quote.

Quote:
I don't know why shows do this. They never get it right. Show the lesbians looking a little too butch and the Twitter Mob will scream about the show pushing negative stereotypes. Show the lesbians looking too attractive and the mob will condemn it as fanservice aimed at men. Put the lesbians in late in the show's run and the mob will accuse the showrunners of being cowards for Hiding Their Gays until the last minute. Show the lesbians going about their day normally and the mob will accuse the show of shying away from displaying the couple's sexuality. Show the lesbians kissing and the mob will accuse the show of pandering to heterosexual men. Show the lesbians in an episode that centers on their sexuality and the mob will accuse the show of pushing LGBT politics at the expense of the story. Show the lesbians never mentioning their LGBT status or just alluding to it obliquely and the mob will accuse the showrunners of cowardice. Show the lesbians doing bad or villainous things and the mob will accuse the show of demonizing LGBT people. Show the lesbians doing heroic things and the mob will accuse the show of trying to virtue signal. Show the lesbians doing funny things and the mob will accuse the showrunners of trivializing LGBT people. Show the lesbians acting all serious and depressed and the mob will accuse the show of portaying LGBT people as mentally ill or self-hating. Try to be as accurate as possible in your portrayal of lesbians and you'll have the mob screaming about how the show got everything about lesbianism all wrong. It's almost as if people look more forward to complaining about portrayals of lesbianism than they do to watching actual portayals of lesbianism.

If lesbian author Camille Paglia is right and widespread obsession with non-binary sexuality is a sign that civilization is circling around the drain, I wish someone would push the flush lever already. I have to imagine even the gays are getting tired of this.
Then, could we imagine in 25 or 30 years then someone will complain about that Hallmark ad saying it don't portrayed properly LGBT people just like that Indian director who complained about the portrayal of Apu in the Simpsons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 08:17 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
lmao

Salon writer loses her mind, calls Hallmark movies fascist
https://www.thepostmillennial.com/sa...ovies-fascist/

Old 12-28-2019, 07:47 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Back before television, the Hallmark Hall of Fame was a radio show, and only aired a few times a year. The radio shows were always big deals, as they featured big-name dramas in long form.

I was a little kid then, and can remember a few; one was a presentation of Romeo and Juliet, the full Shakespeare play. It was my first Shakespeare experience and I was very confused by it all.
Another was an hour-long play on Teddy Roosevelt, during his days as a rancher in South Dakota.

Back then, any show was only a half-hour max, so the Hallmark shows were all big deals. When TV took over, the same was true; I recall Macbeth being presented on one Hallmark Hall of Fame.

Since Hallmark's business depends entirely on sentimentality, as does all its competitors, Hallmark used the Hall of Fame to portray itself as the classy upscale printers of greeting cards. Selling high culture worked for them very well for a very long time, too.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:39 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,873,927 times
Response:
are we giving away dresses ?

\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media