Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times

Advertisements

I am writing since my wife and I are considering the big move to Maui. She has the opportunity to transfer within her nursing company and I have the ability to telecommute from my current position. She would also get relocation and a bonus for the move. We have been to the islands and love the culture. A complete change of pace from the Northeast. Our hesitation is the rumors we hear about raising kids on Hawaii. From our understanding Ohana is such a big part of the lives on Hawaii, yet I hear so many mainlanders discuss the issues of raising kids on the islands. From racism, bullying, poor schools/education, etc. The kids are all open to the big move, but the last thing we would want to do is put them in a situation where they are picked on, bullied, or set them up for failure. We know we can always wait (even if not ideal) until they have finished school here on the mainland. The job opportunity may not be available later on so always the risk. We earn a decent living, but probably not enough to afford $50k plus per year in private school education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 PM

52 posts, read 89,990 times
There is ALOT of info on here about just this topic....and every person and situation is different....but I can tell you that I waited until my kids were all done with school before moving here

Old 12-09-2015, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,555 times
Hi! I'm in a similar situation with a 7 and 3-year old. Did you find any helpful information? Thanks!!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 14,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherJulie View Post
Hi! I'm in a similar situation with a 7 and 3-year old. Did you find any helpful information? Thanks!!

Hi Julie,
I've seen your posts a few times on this forum. am wondering if you ended up moving and how the kids adjusted? thanks in advance! (my son is 9 so I'd be also curious to know if they're in the same age bracket)
Anna

Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 10,886 times
Hello, we moved to Maui from Canada in July with our 4 kids ages 8, 9, 10 & 12. Our kids go to a homeschool/hybrid program (https://hi.myhta.org/) so I can't say much about school but our kids haven't experienced any bullying. Our kids joined different sports teams and have found the other kids easy to get along with it. Our 10 year old son played pop warner football and they would refer to him as the "haole kid" (even the coaches) and would tease him about his accent but in an affectionate way. He seemed to like the attention and made friends quickly. We have found the community really tight and supportive of kids. I would recommend that you get your kids involved and be patient. We volunteered and showed up for everything and the community warmed up to our family fairly quickly. So far, we think this has been a positive experience for our family and we do not regret our move at all. Hope that helps.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,555 times
Hi! We haven't moved yet. I think that it'll be in early August. I'll keep you updated:-). Thanks!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneeballe View Post
Hello, we moved to Maui from Canada in July with our 4 kids ages 8, 9, 10 & 12.
We get bombarded with Canadians wishing to move to Hawaii - perhaps you can start a thread on how you got the visas

Old 02-10-2016, 01:51 AM

5 posts, read 10,886 times
hey viper, sure, I'm happy to talk about our visa but each situation is different. I think the message boards are a great place to learn about other people's experience but a terrible place for legal advice. My recommendation to anybody thinking of immigrating is to find a good immigration attorney, pay the initial retainer and find out exactly what options are available. Anything else is just speculation and a waste of time.

We purchased a business (using mostly investor capital) and our visa is tied to that business. It's a dual intent visa so we are able to apply for permanent residency (green card) later this year.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
We had a nice Canadian family in town a few years ago who had the business visa. They started their business and were running it for a few years. They were supposed to hire a certain number of folks but weren't able to hire as many as they were supposed to and ended up going back to Canada. So the people who they had hired were then out of a job. Seemed a pity to me, but I guess the visa folks have rules to follow or some such.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:54 AM

919 posts, read 791,820 times
Quote:
hey viper, sure, I'm happy to talk about our visa but each situation is different. I think the message boards are a great place to learn about other people's experience but a terrible place for legal advice.
Since your experience schneeballe, doesn't fit with the negative point of view of some who post here, it will be suspect to them. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping to move to Maui within the next year or two myself though I won't have young children, or be looking for a full time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui