Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:39 AM

106 posts, read 371,324 times

Advertisements

I read an article in the Boston Globe about how residents in the Mars Hill area really regret that they allowed a wind power plant to be built in their area because of the noise.

Are there a lot of these projects under consideration in Maine? I'm from rural New York State, and many towns around us are being pushed by developers to allow these large wind installations.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,869 times
I think it's important to note that it's an extremely limited number of residents in Mars Hill (like: 4?) who are complaining about the noise, despite some reports that make it sound as if the entire town is up in arms. The town itself is actually some distance from Mars Hill. I've read the complaints, and I've also read comments from others who claim there's no noise at all from 200 feet away. The complainants have started traveling around Maine testifying against other wind power installations. IMO there's been more fog than substance so far. I'm plannng a trip up there later this year, and I intend to find out for myself.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 PM

106 posts, read 371,324 times
I'd like to know if there are other residents who live as close as those who are bothered by the noise of the wind turbines, but have had a different experience.

Are there only a few homes close to turbines in the Mar Hill project area and most are complaining, or many homes and only a few are complaining?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
ive seen those turbines, they dont look that bad, breaks up the skyline.
besides, for all the folks pushing for alternative energy, they cant be complaining about it,

Old 03-08-2007, 02:32 PM

36 posts, read 93,964 times
Default I am a Mars Hill Resident.

Hello everyone,
I am a Mars Hill resident, one of the windmill non-lovers too. There are far more than 4 that oppose the project. We as a town never had any say in whether or not this project would happen. I live downhill, downwind and under the shadows of these things, and I didn't even know about the project until our state's governor made the announcement that it was coming to pass. It was very quietly put through, and when the town held a public meeting to discuss whether or not to give Evergreen wind the tax credits they wanted we were told loud and clear by our town council that it was not our decision, that it was a private contract between the landowners (which there are maybe 6 or 8 of) and the windmill company.

This is not a highly populated town, and the areas around the north, east and south of the mountain are the least populated. The east is bordering Canada, so there's not a lot of room for residences on that side... that's the side I live on. There are 10 residences on my road which is the east side road. There are more landowners who planned to build their homes out here, but are not sure what they will do at this point. I can think of 3 other landowners, not residents to bring that total up to 13. Of those 13 families, only one has not been publically opposed to the wind farm.

We on the east side supposedly don't even have the same noise issues as the north end. I'm trying to think of how many people are on the north end... maybe 8 homes or so. Of those, most are opposed as well.

We are not just 4. We are MOST of the north and east side residents.

They are loud. Really loud. I can stand the sight of them... I will never embrace them, but I could certainly get used to the sight of them. Today for the first time I experienced the flickering of sunlight as the sun was going down. I truly didn't think our home would be affected by that, I thought we were far enough back that it just wouldn't be an issue and I felt really bad for the people who were even closer that were very bothered by it, like the people that work with children with disabilities who may not be able to have at least one autistic, epileptic child come any longer because apparently the flickering shadows have been known to trigger seizures.

I totally understand the "bigger good" of wind power, but it certainly would have been less of an impact on the people who do live here to have situated these things on a different mountain ridge that already has cell towers that doesn't have year-round residences on it.

OK, so I was pretty long-winded... sorry about that, but my bloodpressure is up from the sound and new-found shadow flickers.

Thanks for letting me have my say.
Dee

Old 03-17-2007, 12:14 PM

117 posts, read 430,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhmare View Post
Hello everyone,
I am a Mars Hill resident, one of the windmill non-lovers too. There are far more than 4 that oppose the project. We as a town never had any say in whether or not this project would happen. I live downhill, downwind and under the shadows of these things, and I didn't even know about the project until our state's governor made the announcement that it was coming to pass. It was very quietly put through, and when the town held a public meeting to discuss whether or not to give Evergreen wind the tax credits they wanted we were told loud and clear by our town council that it was not our decision, that it was a private contract between the landowners (which there are maybe 6 or 8 of) and the windmill company.

This is not a highly populated town, and the areas around the north, east and south of the mountain are the least populated. The east is bordering Canada, so there's not a lot of room for residences on that side... that's the side I live on. There are 10 residences on my road which is the east side road. There are more landowners who planned to build their homes out here, but are not sure what they will do at this point. I can think of 3 other landowners, not residents to bring that total up to 13. Of those 13 families, only one has not been publically opposed to the wind farm.

We on the east side supposedly don't even have the same noise issues as the north end. I'm trying to think of how many people are on the north end... maybe 8 homes or so. Of those, most are opposed as well.

We are not just 4. We are MOST of the north and east side residents.

They are loud. Really loud. I can stand the sight of them... I will never embrace them, but I could certainly get used to the sight of them. Today for the first time I experienced the flickering of sunlight as the sun was going down. I truly didn't think our home would be affected by that, I thought we were far enough back that it just wouldn't be an issue and I felt really bad for the people who were even closer that were very bothered by it, like the people that work with children with disabilities who may not be able to have at least one autistic, epileptic child come any longer because apparently the flickering shadows have been known to trigger seizures.

I totally understand the "bigger good" of wind power, but it certainly would have been less of an impact on the people who do live here to have situated these things on a different mountain ridge that already has cell towers that doesn't have year-round residences on it.

OK, so I was pretty long-winded... sorry about that, but my bloodpressure is up from the sound and new-found shadow flickers.

Thanks for letting me have my say.
Dee

What she said....*

*Rabbit lover a Mars Hill Resident.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 PM

The windmills have devalued our property, those who profited from the windmills, such as the town councilor etc deny this fact but we know otherwise.

Last edited by rabbitlover; 03-17-2007 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 PM

71 posts, read 252,231 times
Default Mars Hill wind farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrow View Post
I read an article in the Boston Globe about how residents in the Mars Hill area really regret that they allowed a wind power plant to be built in their area because of the noise.

Are there a lot of these projects under consideration in Maine? I'm from rural New York State, and many towns around us are being pushed by developers to allow these large wind installations.
Hi, GoldenCrow!

It is understandable that neighbors to these Mars Hill windmills would rather not have them there. However, prior to their installation, there was already a ski business on the mountain, and, if I understand it correctly, transmission lines and 7 cell-phone towers. To my mind, that was already commercial-use land, so you could expect almost anything to develop on it. There are other wind farms being planned in Maine.

Anyone who is looking to purchase property anywhere, should always give careful consideration to neighboring parcels and what they might possibly become in the future -- whether in Maine, New York, or anyplace else.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Hi, GoldenCrow!

It is understandable that neighbors to these Mars Hill windmills would rather not have them there. However, prior to their installation, there was already a ski business on the mountain, and, if I understand it correctly, transmission lines and 7 cell-phone towers. .
The ski business and tiny towers do not compare to twenty-eight, six story, loud, and intrusive wind mills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
To my mind, that was already commercial-use land, so you could expect almost anything to develop on it. .
Too bad the residents of Mars Hill did not get to vote on the project.
People in Redding Maine were able to vote about the proposed wind mill farm and they voted it down. The town councilor was a dictator about the matter.

Last edited by rabbitlover; 03-17-2007 at 02:21 PM..

Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitlover View Post
The windmills have devalued our property, those who profited from the windmills, such as the town councilor etc deny this fact but we know otherwise.
i always wanted a windmill in my yard, and if anyone ever had thier own private windmill, you can charge bangor hydro/cmp/ for excess power going into the grid. id set the invoice up like a phone bill, 300 taxes on it,,,,not knowing why??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine