Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 06:39 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
7am temps. It's actually below normal down to Florida. Maine is not yet since the front hasn't cleared. It's colder in Georgia than Maine. Actually it's colder in parts of Florida than Maine right now.
Yep. Just heard from my niece in Tampa. At 7:00 this morning they were at 57 degrees, while here (South China) it was 60 ... and where my wife and I just moved from - Woodbridge, VA - it was 38!

But, that's weather for ya. And what it's doing at any specific time and place, that's weather as well, not climate.

Re: climate ... there must have been some kind of "report" recently from dubious sources that said that global warming isn't happening. I think at this point, most people, if they're going to argue that, would argue that Man has not contributed to global warming, rather than arguing that global warming isn't even happening.

If people want to believe it isn't happening, that's no skin off my nose. Personally, I'd rather believe it isn't happening also. However,

Global Analysis - August 2014 | State of the Climate | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

http://www.climatechange2013.org/ima..._SPM_FINAL.pdf

Meanwhile, I'm anticipating and preparing for plenty of cold and snow here in Maine this winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:39 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
While I agree with most of your post.. It's the Antarctic that has had well above normal ice, infact.. all time record breaking amounts of ice down there. The Arctic on the other hand has had below normal ice and that is chiefly because of oceanic currents which have been proven to be cyclical in nature, one of the chief drivers in our climate outside of the sun.

Secondly, it was Hurricane Andrew that hit Homestead in 1992. I was in West Palm Beach at the time and we had nothing more than a gale with a few palm fronds blown around. Hugo hit Puerto Rico and later in South Carolina.

Regardless, your point is well taken and agreed.
And, remember Andrew was a Category 1 Hurricane. The Category is based on wind speed. Andrew happened to be a very large storm, so it cause much more damage than a smaller storm of the same Category. Most hurricanes fall below hurricane wind speeds before they get to Maine, though they can still pack some damage when they arrive. Hurricane Aurthur took down a lot of large, old trees in Eastport on July 4. Power to most of the city was out for 25 hours.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:35 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Re: climate ... there must have been some kind of "report" recently from dubious sources that said that global warming isn't happening.
Regarding that, since it's been mentioned a couple times now, without going off topic in this thread there's a Global Warming Thread with Lots of info & debates in there.

Not that it's cooling but there's been no warming for almost 2 decades now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Meanwhile, I'm anticipating and preparing for plenty of cold and snow here in Maine this winter!
I personally hope we're colder than last year here.. If the pattern shifts east from last winter, yeah, it's going to be classic for Maine. Believe it or not last winter was not even in the Top 20 for Bangor as far as average temp.(ranked 21st). In other words, there were 20 winters that were colder than last year. The Midwest was centered under the arctic break offs..

Old 10-05-2014, 05:28 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Regarding that, since it's been mentioned a couple times now, without going off topic in this thread there's a Global Warming Thread with Lots of info & debates in there.
You're right - this is about weather in Maine, not global warming. My mistake.

Quote:
Not that it's cooling but there's been no warming for almost 2 decades now.
Right.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Frost Advisories out for Androscoggin, Cumberland, & York away from the coast. Bring those plants inside. National Weather Service

Old 10-06-2014, 05:40 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Hard frost this morning. The wipers would not touch it. Even the washer made only a small hole in the frost. I let the defroster thaw it off. I refused to get out and scrape it off. Time to drain and winterize the camper. I'll drive it to the local dump station today.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:48 AM

25 posts, read 69,999 times
If we end up in Augusta or Bangor, inland, and any of these typical weather storms, hurricanes hit, would we be inland enough to avoid it other than the general nasty weather?

By image shares, mostly I meant someone take a snapshot once a day of the same spot, or week, and post it through January end...just to get an idea what the weather's doing in real time.

For the photo buffs :P

Old 10-07-2014, 12:53 PM

565 posts, read 936,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesM View Post
If we end up in Augusta or Bangor, inland, and any of these typical weather storms, hurricanes hit, would we be inland enough to avoid it other than the general nasty weather?

By image shares, mostly I meant someone take a snapshot once a day of the same spot, or week, and post it through January end...just to get an idea what the weather's doing in real time.

For the photo buffs :P
You have much better chance of being affected by a winter storm; knocking out the power for a week than from a hurricane.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:20 AM

NWS Caribou:

"Abundant rainfall the last couple days has brought stream flows back to normal across Maine"

https://twitter.com/NWSCaribou/statu...16978029912064

Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 AM

565 posts, read 936,049 times
Noaa says we are going to have a warmer than normal winter; while the weather channel says colder than normal. I wonder which forecast will be accurate. Going to get the snowblower fired up next week and get the oil changed in it; I don't expect to need it till November, however I like to get it done ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine