Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:30 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times

Advertisements

Awesome! I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on that one! Authentic Maine Fare - wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,349 times
Default Rice's red hot dogs!

Rices red hot dogs rock!

For today's Labor Day meal we are having bean hole beans, red hot dogs, huge moose(yes...moose) burgers stuffed with blue cheese and a couple quarts of fried clams from next door..mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
What is a bean hole bean?

Old 09-02-2007, 12:30 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,559 times
I want one of your cookbooks too, please -

Back in WV, no hot dog is complete unless it has mustard down one side, ketchup down the other and topped with meatless chili, cole slaw, salt and pepper on a regular hot dog bun.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I want one of your cookbooks too, please -

Back in WV, no hot dog is complete unless it has mustard down one side, ketchup down the other and topped with meatless chili, cole slaw, salt and pepper on a regular hot dog bun.
So you wanna go down to Rosie's every day with us? I just love their dogs!!!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,818 times
as far as I know, "beanhole beans" are a baked bean recipe that is cooked in a pit BBQ, underground.

You can make the same recipes above ground, in the oven, but it isn't the same. I have done this out west.. you dig a BIG hole in the ground, big enough to accomodate your food and then some... deep and big. Then you lay logs across the hole and build a fire on top of them, feeding the fire until the logs burn through, fall in and you have a wonderful bed of coals IN the pit.

Now, if you are going to cook meat (I have done turkey... in a regular metal roasting pan with lid.. and a a whole goat, slathered in BBQ sauce and wrapped in wet burlap) you prepare it and make sure you have a way to haul it OUT of the pit! we put our goat on a piece of metal, with coathanger 'handles'... you prepare it.

SHOVEL part of the coals OUT of the hole (I forgot this part once... and the top of my turkey did not get cooked!) and lower your meat and your kettle of beans with the LID securely fastened on, into the hole.

Shovel coals onto the top of the food and then begin filling the hole again. We put a piece of metal over the top before shoveling on the dirt to make it easier to uncover. Cover it thoroughly, so no smoke escapes and no air gets in.

Then go away and wait... depending on what you are cooking at least several hours to all day or overnight.

When you are ready to eat, uncover and remove food. Careful, it WILL BE HOT!! This is the most delish way to cook that I know of.

You must be careful to dig your pit in an area where there are no tree roots though, for they can get hot and simmer underground, with fire breaking out MUCH later when it has followed a root to the surface! This also happened to a friend of mine and I was there to help put it out...

I do not still have the recipe I used for "beanhole beans" though...
Starwalker

Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM

48 posts, read 111,436 times
was it by any chance darby's?, dockside?

Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,103,899 times
I'm looking for a good chocolate fudge recipe....won't be able to make it for a bit, but would like to have one to perfect before the holidays! The recipes I've come across have peanut butter in them. It just doesn't seem like it would be "chocolate" if it had peanut butter in there too. My grandmother made a great chocolate fudge, but the recipe is in a box, somewhere in the garage! also, have any of you ever made "divinity fudge"? I'm curious about that....

Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
You can add to the list those Wicked Whoopie Pies made by that lady in Brunswick.
I make my whoopie pies with soft pumpkin cookies in the fall. Mmmmmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Hot dogs are not covered in ANYTHING but a hot dog roll! But they are red here*- that's throws a lot of people for a loop ("Are they lobster flavored?").

I mean the REAL hot dogs, not the water-puffed cheap dogs.
When our daughter lived in Minnesota we'd take red hot dogs to her. Her friends thought they were weird but amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Speaking of food...I've found my great aunt's cookbook, hand-written from the 1920s/30s. She lived on the Cutler road that goes around Holmes Bay, I don't think she ever traveled any further than Ellsworth in her whole life. Didn't even get indoor plumbing until the '70s.

I'm thinking of transcribing it and publishing it. I wonder if there would be any interest in something like that?
Counting in my head - me, two daughters, sister, step-mom, sil, mil x2, best friend...I'll take nine. Seriously.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:06 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm looking for a good chocolate fudge recipe....won't be able to make it for a bit, but would like to have one to perfect before the holidays! The recipes I've come across have peanut butter in them. It just doesn't seem like it would be "chocolate" if it had peanut butter in there too. My grandmother made a great chocolate fudge, but the recipe is in a box, somewhere in the garage! also, have any of you ever made "divinity fudge"? I'm curious about that....
Have you tried the one on the fluff jar? It's fluff, sugar, vanilla, salt and chocolate chips. One batch makes something like five pounds.

Someone mentioned needhams. I have an old recipe that I can dig out if anyone would like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine