Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2024, 12:10 PM

120 posts, read 154,781 times

Advertisements

I'm doing my "due diligence" on the East Macon, Mill Hill Arts Village and was hoping to hear from Maconites on what their perceptions of the area would be. Specifically the neighborhood bounded by Hydrolia, Schell and Taylor streets...across Coliseum Drive from the Macon Coliseum.

I'm interested in a property (for my primary residence) in the Village and have read about some positive developments slated for the area. Those would include a potential 350 million dollar mixed use development proposed for right next door to the Village...a new bicentennial park to be built by the City in honor of its 200 hundredth birthday...a Native American Cultural Center honoring the first inhabitants of the region...and the impending National Park status of the Ocmulgee Mounds. (Not even to mention it's within walking distance to Macon Mayhem hockey games! LOL) Walkability/bikeability to the ever improving downtown is another plus for the neighborhood.

The Mill homes...10 in all, to date...were mostly renovated in 2020/2021 with assistance/oversite by the Urban Development Authority, which is from my understanding, still quite involved with the communities continued growth and progress.

All of these factors are no doubt positive for the neighborhood and city as a whole. My concern is that of the 10 properties renovated to date, 3 homes have been relisted for sale after their initial purchase post-renovation. That "seems" like a fairly large number, but I'm not completely sure of that either. IF their would be a negative issue in the neighborhood driving these sales, I'd have to assume it would be related to crime? And that's essentially what I'm asking...is this an area known by locals to be high crime/dangerous?

Tolerance of inner-city crime issues, as well as "street smart savvy" are individual in nature. To that point, a bit about my background. I'm retired law enforcement. My last two residences were in downtown Atlanta (actually Old Fourth Ward) and downtown Augusta (Georgia.) I'm both familiar and comfortable with the challenges of urban core issues and challenges. I've never lived in Macon, so my familiarity is limited to visits for fun and entertainment. I've occasionally heard East Macon described as "rough," and "dangerous" in places. I have no idea if these descriptions would include the Mill Village...or not...and whether this has anything to do with the aforementioned sales...or not? I'm hoping to hear from anyone who might have some knowledge about that area/neighborhood. Any information...good or bad...would be most appreciated!

Additionally, if anyone could compare/contrast East Macon Arts Village with the Beall's Hill neighborhood, that would again be most helpful.

Thank-you in advance for any help!

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 04:53 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,572 times
The area is being invested in by the Urban Development Authority. Those renovated homes were all done by the UDA. They come with restrictions requiring owner-occupancy and limits on changes to the property, etc. The restriction follows those homes so no "live in it 2 years" and then rent or sell to an investor either. That is probably the part that is an issue for many potential buyers. Just a guess on that though.
As far as the neighborhood, the Arts Village is small and bordered by commercial on one side, Ocmulgee National Historic Park, and then a pretty rough neighborhood behind it. The latter is the issue for many potential homeowners. The neighborhood along Main St is mostly older, renters, and much is dilapidated. There is a public housing project in the middle as well against Emory Highway.
I see the Mill Hill area as continuing to improve as the UDA continues their work and the city invests in the land between Mill Hill and the river.
I would live there as a man. Would I want a wife coming home alone after dark there.....personally, no. Everyone is different on that. It is not Bealls Hill and never will be. The neighborhood behind it along Main will not become gentrified in the next 30 years. However, because of its location and the government investment in the area, I believe it's a safe bet for gaining value over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: