Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 15,027 times

Advertisements

All right, I've skimmed through some of the other posts regarding Macon but I'm still left with some questions! I'm seriously considering taking a position in the Macon/Warner Robins area (in fact, I think the position will be AT WR). I'm essentially a SWF, no kids, just a dog and an iguana. I'm a CA native so I admit to being a bit spoiled in some respects but I've lived in downtown Atlanta for the last two years.

Based on what I've read in other threads, I'm kind of getting the impression that moving to the Macon area will be a bit of a "culture shock" for me but that's all right. I'll live. So too was Atlanta! However, I'm having a tough time figuring out what areas would be suitable for someone like myself in terms of housing. I don't want to buy a house and frankly, the less kids around, the better though they're tolerable.

In Atl, I'm living in the Midtown area and though I've had a couple of fairly minor issues with crime (car broken into, that sort of thing) I LOVE the atmosphere... being close to the downtown area (within a few city blocks), living across the street from Piedmont Park, the fact that I don't have to drive to get to the grocer at the end of the day, I can walk just about everywhere I want to go, etc., etc. ... it's the vibrant atmosphere of the downtown area that I like/want.

So, given all of that and taking into consideration that though I'm a girl, I'm pretty confident that I can take care of myself (within reason)... where should I look? Will I even be able to find anything comparable in Macon or Warner Robins?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 06:55 PM

209 posts, read 1,090,232 times
You will find that the commute from Atlanta to Macon is a breeze.

Personally, I HATE living in major cities' downtown areas. I have had problems with BURGLARY, a neighbor of mine got raped, etc.,

Macon has a much lower crime rate, its' population is rebounding from a 20,000 shrink from 1990 to 2002. 114,000 to 91,500. It is now rebounding. I like Macon. I have seen and heard that the DRUG economy is higher than it is in Atlanta. Which I a not sure if I believe cause Atlanta is ON DRUGS. drug capital of the world I HATE ATL. turn on the news, somebody got shot, wow, is that something new, or does that happen 5,000 times a day?

Macon.

Do it.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 26,037 times
There are wonderful lofts and apartments (located over businesses) in downtown Macon. Most are recently renovated and have been showcased in magazines. Really neat places! If you live in the downtown area you will be in the middle of a thriving artist (fine arts) community, great night time spots with jazz, blues, rock, etc., fantastic restaurants, and wonderful events that take place on the sidewalks (featuring all of the above) every first Friday night of every month. In addition, you'll have several museums within walking distance, a river trail, and many historic sites and sights to take in. There is now a theater which shows offbeat movies and also features live concerts. You can also catch a play almost all of the time (it seems). Then to top it off, there is the Cherry Blossom Festival and First Night (New Years eve) which all take place in and around the downtown area. My family and I have lived in the downtown area for about 18 years now. We love it! Many community events and fantastic people are always within your grasp in downtown. AND you just can't beat the beauty of downtown Macon in the spring with its thousands of cherry blossom trees blooming, and the tulips and azaleas and then the pear trees. It is just mindblowing!

Old 12-16-2006, 12:48 PM

17 posts, read 137,018 times
Default Born and raised in Middle Georgia

Father worked at WR for 40 plus years. Since you are from CA you will definitely have culture shock in the Macon area. Having said that, I believe after you adjust you will love it there.

Macon is on the piedmont line and is also considered the line where the pesky gnats reside. We natives learn to ignore them but they do take some getting used to especially in the summer.

We moved to Athens, GA many years ago but still have family in the area who we visit frequently.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:50 PM

64 posts, read 710,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
You will find that the commute from Atlanta to Macon is a breeze.

Personally, I HATE living in major cities' downtown areas. I have had problems with BURGLARY, a neighbor of mine got raped, etc.,

Macon has a much lower crime rate, its' population is rebounding from a 20,000 shrink from 1990 to 2002. 114,000 to 91,500. It is now rebounding. I like Macon. I have seen and heard that the DRUG economy is higher than it is in Atlanta. Which I a not sure if I believe cause Atlanta is ON DRUGS. drug capital of the world I HATE ATL. turn on the news, somebody got shot, wow, is that something new, or does that happen 5,000 times a day?

Macon.

Do it.
Amen to all that you said. The hometown of the real " Godfather of Soul" Otis Redding. His daughter owns a shoe store downtown.
Macon, no doubt!!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:58 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 1,000,010 times
WR is better by far....

Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 PM

511 posts, read 2,479,146 times
Thumbs up Jackson for Mayor 2019

I know this thread is old but I was reviewing over it, and Macon is next best to Atlanta, heck better than Atlanta. I know that will cause some controversy, but I dont care, I'm sticking with my decision. Moderator cut: Manual Sig Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 04-03-2007 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Removed Manual Sig

Old 03-29-2007, 07:58 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 1,000,010 times
I think anyone will be able to run in 2019 and win.....with the way folks are RUNNING from Macon, there wont be anyone in Macon but crackheads and the poor folks who cant afford to leave...not a pot shot atcha buddy....I think its truly sad....

Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 AM

634 posts, read 2,924,354 times
Like I've said before in other thread, If you aren't living downtown, live in the Northside or the Westside. The others are "bad" side's of towns. The northside is currently booming. Big time. I suggest if you want to get to ATL quick and easy, live in North Macon. If you want to get to the South part of the state, live in WR.

There is plenty to do in the area, and its growing more and more everyday. Houston County, just south of Macon is the 5th fastest growing county in Georgia.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:23 PM

511 posts, read 2,479,146 times
Bibb County is bomming as many of the people who live in the city are making there way to the county, there is not alot of people coming foreing into Bibb County. The same population the city of Macon is losing Bibb COunty is gaining. Macon should begin by handling crime, then increasing things to do in the city. Tackle communities such as Village Green ( Bloomfield ), PLesant Hill, and a majority of the eastside. We should also try to attract more jobs, Sara Lee, Bass Pro Shops, and a huge Oriental Cement Plant is a good step in the right direction. We could also increase population by Adviertising more, many people who think of Georgia, think Atlanta, well that is not all to Georgia, you have other great cities like Macon, Augusta, Savannah, Athens, Albany, Columbus, Brunswick, and Warner Robins. Macon should also look at lowering taxes, taxes are high compared to the services the city provides.

Yea I could imagine it Macon is removed off the map so is Warner Robins. What would Warner Robins be without Macon, hopeless, and in a state of depression. I rode threw Warner Robins on my way to the DDS, and there were suburbs mile long, but it has not character, just buildings, without a history and if Macon keeps going the way its going it wont have a future.

Any other news, Bibb County will be getting a second mall. The mall is being built out on Riverside Drive, as of now Belk's, and Parisian have already leased spot, it will also feature several upscale shops, restaruants. The exact location is across the street from Jackson Automotive, on the North Side of town, just before Bass Pro Shops. As of now, there are no plans for the Macon Mall, it will hopefully keep offering the services it do.

The city of Macon really appreciates everyone who had any part in the 25th Annual Cherry Blossom Festival, it was a ball, and we hope to see you all next year.
Moderator cut: manual sig removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon