Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 10,590 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have chosen to make Macon, Ga. our home. This is a wonderful, small city, with so much to recommend it to singles, families, retirees, students, anyone. My husband is from outside Detroit, MI and I grew up in Atlanta, GA. I have lived on both coasts and traveled widely. Macon is one of those rare, charming towns with everything you need - traditional, timeless, yet visionary and modern. Yes, there is crime here, like anywhere. I have worked and volunteered in the inner city with at risk youth over for several years. Our church is in a poor, "rough" neighborhood. The congregation is home to many folks from the neighborhood as well as some of the most well-heeled folks in the city. There are 3,000 of us - and we get along great - we are a family. I think that is what you will find in Macon, GA; a diverse population that runs the gamut, but comes together in harmony. I agree, there are a lot of depressed areas. This is a very old southern town. You find that, in my experience, in most old southern towns. From Savannah to Wilmington to Charleston to Memphis, I've always seen that. The real Macon, however, is like one big family. I am a white baby boomer. I work in/volunteer in the inner city. I doing so, my husband and I spend most of our time with black and hispanic folks as well as other white baby boomers. We all go to church together and/or work out in the community together. We have a new mayor with a great, bold vision for making it even sweeter to live here. I say this with consideration and respect...I think the question for anyone is - is your heart in the right place? If it is, then you will love Macon, and the people of Macon will love you. If not, then I would have to recommend a more homogeneous, suburban locale. Macon is real. We are a thriving, flourishing, compelling and exciting small city that has it all. Obviously, that includes great schools, academies, universities, the arts, historical architecture, restaurants, barbecue shacks, and the annual Cherry Blossom Festival. Some of the finest musicians on the planet are from here. Case in point - I ran into Little Richard today at the Hilton Garden Inn. He was here for a friend's funeral. I was there helping out with a luncheon for newcomers at our church. It was a room full of wonderful families, including Asian, Hispanic, White, Black and racially mixed. That, in a nutshell, is Macon, GA. As for my family, we could live anywhere in the world, and we choose Macon. I plan to keep my roots deep in this rich soil and raise my family here. It may not be for everyone, but if you have the heart/spirit/soul that makes a real Maconite, it sure might be for you.

I LOVE MACON, GEORGIA! We invite you, too, to come to Macon and make yourself at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 06:48 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,630 times
Great oakbyriver, just great. I also want to say that I in know way form or fashion endorse Obama, having all candidates appeal to me is very special, however on Feburary 5th I cant vote for all of them. Obama speaking to Harvest Cathderal today was just to shine a light on the campaign trail. As far as me posting images here on this site, well there were people who emailed me, and were happy about Barack Obama coming to Macon, Georgia, and what better way to grow that excitement than by posting images of his visit. Thank you everybody who look at the images and supported the thread, and the people who had negative things to say I thank you as well, lets me know im doing something right. Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 PM

177 posts, read 221,719 times
Wait a second....If you hearts in the right place, you`ll love Macon??? Are you kidding me??LOL

Great...that is all we need is some more judgemental, hypocritical Christians who think if you dont see things the way they do then you are totally wrong and bound for hell..and obviously, your heart isnt in the right place. You guys are sad...LOL
And Mayor...if you think just because someone doesnt see Macon as the utopia you think it is and they voice that OPINION then it means you are doing something right, you are more screwed up than I thought.....

Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 18,210 times
[quote=Peelo;2643593]"Wait a second....If you hearts in the right place, you`ll love Macon??? Are you kidding me??LOL

Great...that is all we need is some more judgemental, hypocritical Christians who think if you dont see things the way they do then you are totally wrong and bound for hell..and obviously, your heart isnt in the right place. You guys are sad...LOL"

GET A GRIP PEELO

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM

Get a grip of what??
You think also that if someone doesnt like Macon that their heart isnt in the right place?LOL....

Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 18,210 times
Default RE:Get a grip

Peelo, you are quick to jump at people with personal attacks. You took one phrase she used out of a long post where she was praising some of the positives of the city of Macon. From that short phrase you said

"Great...that is all we need is some more judgemental, hypocritical Christians who think if you dont see things the way they do then you are totally wrong and bound for hell..and obviously, your heart isnt in the right place. You guys are sad...LOL"

She was never judgemental and in no way, shape or form was she a hypocritical Christian and she never implied that you are totally wrong and bound for hell. She is also not a "moronic hypocrite" as you stated in the e-mail to me.

I believe her "heart in the right place" comment was directed at one being willing to look for the positives in the city of Macon and not just the negatives. Sure, there is plenty wrong with Macon, but there are things that are right too. Looking at the majority of your posts - you seem to rarely see the positives in anything.

It is great to have opinions but maybe you should be in a little less of a rush to nitpick comments and turn them around in to personal attacks.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,378 times
Default to Limaro, Peelo, & M.O.M.

Limaro, you will be welcomed into this area (Macon, I'm assuming) as a guest and also as someone who "belongs". However, please do not be offended if someone invites you to church. It is perhaps a very naive (though earnest) way of welcoming you to our communities. We also feel that it extends to you and your children exposure to the highest ideals in life--those taught by Christ. Unfortunately, we are all hypocrites as we try to apply these ideals to our lives and "miss the mark" on a daily basis. In fact, we miss the mark even on Sundays (as we fail to worship as a mixture of races united by Christ under one roof).

Peelo, I also am from Dublin and a Republican. Hate I missed the John Edwards visit yesterday, ........and you? LOL. I just wanted to be able to run my fingers through that hair, like Dave Letterman did on his show! But I think I would have gotten arrested! I do think he is kinda cute, although I am male. I just wish I liked tort-trial lawyers....dang.

M.O.M., try not to get too offended with Peelo. He will in general defend the Middle Georgia area, but he does not have a lot of love for Macon proper, as you well know. His first disputes with you were with someone trying to make a choice of moving to either Macon or Columbus, I believe. I think he stated his preferences and gave the necessary disclaimers to individuals wanting to move to either city.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,630 times
There wasnt really a time on this thread I responded directly to Peelo, I have other things to worry about than to wonder is this man going to kill himself because someone says something good about Macon. He's going to talk, so ill just let him talk. Crazy people after awhile will get tired of talking to themselves, and either move on or just whateva, I dont know what crazy people do.

"Also its not possible to defend Middle Georgia when every time you turn around he has something to say bad about Macon." He should think about that quote before he gets started with the crazy mess ............... typing.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM

You are correct, Irish....That is how it all started. Mayor got in a tizzy because I told the truth (what Macon`s own paper has said about the town) and it went from there.

Sastowe, If you would look back, I`m not the one who started the personal attacks. Also, the post stated if your heart is in the right place, you`ll love Macon. The reality of that statement is just what it says. Since I absolutely detest the place, then, according to the post, my heart isnt in the right place. That is judgemental. Aint no other way to look at it. So if you desire to "scold" someone about personal attacks, find someone else. I`d bet the reason you chose to say something to me was because the others are "professing Christians"...LOL...
The truth of the matter Irish is you are correct...I think middle Georgia is the best place to live. If you have kids, Dublin is a GREAT place to raise them...very rooted in morals..just a good town. Forsyth is another great place. I cant say enough good things about Monroe county and its growth attests to that. Houston county is an awesome place to live....But your assumption is correct. If a Jihadist blew Macon off the Map today, it wouldnt bother me a bit.
Mayor, please stand up to speak...your voice gets muffled if you are sitting....LOL

Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 AM

96 posts, read 424,766 times
Default Well, Mr. Mayor..

Did you enjoy Barack's visit? Did he mention his ties to lewis Farrakhan? This country's in real trouble if either of those nitwits get elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon