Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 08:11 PM

28 posts, read 27,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
No it's second worst, Thank Goodness for Mississippi!
lol, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 AM

24 posts, read 112,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
There's a reason why Neo-Nazi Skinheads are pervasive in the Houston area and other Texas metros but not in Louisiana. Texas' prison system may be the only one with two competing racist gangs in the Aryan Brotherhood and the Aryan Circle and neither exist in Louisiana's prison system. As far as the OP = apathetic jerk!!
While agree with your sentiment, you know little about Texas. Skinheads don't pervade the metro areas here at all. The last bastions of racism in Texas are centered in East Texas but are very much on the wane. Texas has too many tranplants to labeled racist.

I haven't seen a skinhead in person since the 1980s. The KKK is all but gone in Texas too. Sure there are racists here like anywhere else but it is such a small minority that they are seen as aliens from another planet to most. Having said this, I do know that there are small towns, especially in the eastern part of the state where things have changed very little over many years. Towns like Jaspar and other small towns still make people of color nervous.

But just as the OP labeled Louisiana poorly, doing the same of Texas is more than ridiculous. It is a very cosmopolitan state, especially the larger metro areas.

I lived in Louisianna for a little less than 2 years (although my family came later and I was back in Texas almost every month). My beefs with Louisiana were evacuating for hurricanes and high taxes in certain parishes. Yes crime was a problem in certain metro areas but the same is true for many large cities in the U.S. Easily avoidable and not widespread.

I enjoyed living in the NOLA area and then the North Shore. But I prefer Texas for a lot lof reasons, or at least my area of the Hill Country/ Central Texas region. But I guarantee you that if I knew little, I could live in a bad area here and hate it. Just like parts of Louisiana can stink too. It a depends what you are looking for.

I have a friend that lives in thr LA area and grew up in Texas; he loves it. I would probably hate it ilunless I could afford to live on the coast and avoid the dismal commutes out there. If you make enough money, you can avoid lots of issues anywhere.. lol.

People with limited experiences really shouldn't label things badly.
Just as I have been to NYC numerous times and choose not to live there, there are transplants from there that wish they were back in NYC. I get why people like NYC ir LA, tgey just aren't for me.

Chris

Old 10-01-2016, 09:18 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christebo View Post
While agree with your sentiment, you know little about Texas. Skinheads don't pervade the metro areas here at all. The last bastions of racism in Texas are centered in East Texas but are very much on the wane. Texas has too many tranplants to labeled racist.

I haven't seen a skinhead in person since the 1980s. The KKK is all but gone in Texas too. Sure there are racists here like anywhere else but it is such a small minority that they are seen as aliens from another planet to most. Having said this, I do know that there are small towns, especially in the eastern part of the state where things have changed very little over many years. Towns like Jaspar and other small towns still make people of color nervous.

But just as the OP labeled Louisiana poorly, doing the same of Texas is more than ridiculous. It is a very cosmopolitan state, especially the larger metro areas.

I lived in Louisianna for a little less than 2 years (although my family came later and I was back in Texas almost every month). My beefs with Louisiana were evacuating for hurricanes and high taxes in certain parishes. Yes crime was a problem in certain metro areas but the same is true for many large cities in the U.S. Easily avoidable and not widespread.

I enjoyed living in the NOLA area and then the North Shore. But I prefer Texas for a lot lof reasons, or at least my area of the Hill Country/ Central Texas region. But I guarantee you that if I knew little, I could live in a bad area here and hate it. Just like parts of Louisiana can stink too. It a depends what you are looking for.

I have a friend that lives in thr LA area and grew up in Texas; he loves it. I would probably hate it ilunless I could afford to live on the coast and avoid the dismal commutes out there. If you make enough money, you can avoid lots of issues anywhere.. lol.

People with limited experiences really shouldn't label things badly.
Just as I have been to NYC numerous times and choose not to live there, there are transplants from there that wish they were back in NYC. I get why people like NYC ir LA, tgey just aren't for me.

Chris
Texas is racist. Will always be. Just like most of America.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:04 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I grew up in Louisiana and love to visit still but yeah, it's got issues that may never be resolved.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Its kind of a craphole NGL but it does have a few saving graces such as New Orleans, great food and music. It's better than Mississippi, but its roads and drivers completely suck.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:53 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
It's pretty bad for the US. There are far worse places elsewhere in the world but in this country Louisiana is among the worst places to live, unless you either grew up there and that's what you know, or you are a football hungry party-drunk.

If you're more of a quiet introvert nerd-hermit like me, it's kind of awful. Save for the food. Louisiana has some of the best damn food.

I still say with experience that Mississippi is worse in most ways, however I feel that Mississippi is generally friendlier.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Well, I have a hunch that a LOT of Louisianans wouldn't live anywhere else. Those that choose to remain there obviously know how to live with it's infamous imperfections and find the joy.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:06 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It's pretty bad for the US. There are far worse places elsewhere in the world but in this country Louisiana is among the worst places to live, unless you either grew up there and that's what you know, or you are a football hungry party-drunk.

If you're more of a quiet introvert nerd-hermit like me, it's kind of awful. Save for the food. Louisiana has some of the best damn food.

I still say with experience that Mississippi is worse in most ways, however I feel that Mississippi is generally friendlier.
I could see how an introvert wouldnt like the constant party atmosphere but for me, it makes the state really fun. I get so pissed at how the state is run but like you said, I would be miserable having to settle for northern food and without constant access to Louisiana cooking. Also the friendliness of people is Acadiana is incomparable. There is such a joy of life here I really doubt many other places are so happy to simply exist.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:53 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,576 times
Born and raised here. We are trying to get out of this state. Some of the politics and fathers rights have left a very bitter taste for us. So, as soon as we sell our place, we're headed north. Where we can live how WE want and not be condemned for our beliefs, and to enjoy 4 seasons. Instead of 10 months of high humidity heat and 2 months of cool weather.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:25 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
What turned me off of Louisiana was the tv show with Billy the Exterminator.
They've got crazy amounts of insects, snakes and etc. that we don't have in Massachusetts.
I suppose most southern, humid states have the same vexation.
Billy the Exterminator lives right down the street from me. He is actually pretty normal in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana