Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 04:45 AM

50 posts, read 63,235 times

Advertisements

It seems so filthy to me, polluted, busy as hell and extremely expensive. I’m lost why people want to live there. Ok, maybe if you’re super wealthy but even then. Hmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Same reason 144,000 fans recently attend the two Taylor Swift concerts in Seattle. Much of the appeal of LA is to be near the rich and famous, actors, actresses and musicians that live in that area. Others are wannabees that hope to be "discovered." Then there are those like my friend in Torrance (20 miles south of LA) that likes it there just because he likes the dry, warm weather and sun. Of course this week is a major exception. I have visited there many times but prefer the opposite, I like it quiet with clean fresh air, mountains and woods, rain and cool weather.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:18 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Pretty women

Old 02-06-2024, 08:24 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Amazing climate, access to year-round outdoor activities, beautiful beaches, scenery, great amenities, to name a few.

Your statement beginning with "It seems" implies that either you haven't been here and are basing your impressions on what you see in the news, or you came but never ventured off the tourist track. There are not 19 million people living here because it's a disgusting, filthy, stressful place to be.

Full disclosure: I actually live in Orange County.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:42 AM

43 posts, read 14,512 times
It depends on what you value.

Weather is great, but traffic sucks.
Jobs are plentiful, but cost of living is outrageous.

I would say it is a great place to live if you can work from home (avoiding traffic) or if you have plenty of support (family or friends that you can share the rent with).

I lived in LA and San Diego for about 5 years. It was great because of the outdoor lifestyle. However, I gave it up for a more peaceful surrounding and a less stressed out city.

As much as Southern California is incredible, the overall quality of life is lacking compared to places where you get more for your money and are dealing with people that are more relaxed.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:54 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
As a home base with a big city's amenities' you can surf and ski on the same day.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:58 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
It depends on what you mean by Los Angeles. The city of Los Angeles isn't that great. Sure, there's some nicer areas in West L.A. and pockets of the Valley, but much of the actual city is fairly grimy and seedy. But I mean that's just the reality of big cities in this country. Not really any different in New York, Chicago or Philly. Not like New York is all that if you live in a death trap apartment block in the Bronx where 13 people share a one bedroom.

If you talk about Southern California as a region the appeal is more obvious. It never actually gets cold. Even a 'bad weather' week like the current one isn't winter, it's more like what wet late spring weather looks like in the Northeast. The coast is picturesque and easier to enjoy than back East as well if you just want to hang out or go on hikes. I mean you got golden mountains in one direction and the deep blue ocean in the other. It's a great vibe. If you don't care for that, if you don't mind the 'cold winter/hot humid summer' dichotomy of the eastern 2/3 of the country, if you don't give a damn about the ocean or mountains, yeah it's probably nothing special otherwise. I mean nothing you couldn't get in another half dozen metros out East. But I figure a *lot* of people do.

Of course, there's a big thing that keeps people away from the region in spite of its advantages - housing costs. If you didn't get yours back 30-40 years ago and are either more recently grown up without a parental home to inherit or recently arrived then you'll have a real hard time finding housing in a desirable area where you can take advantage of what the area has to offer - unless you're very wealthy.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:14 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Many appealing aspects.

Access to quality educational institutions: California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech), UCLA, The Claremont Colleges, USC, Occidental College, etc.

World class weather that (for most of the year, anyway) just cannot be beat.

Variety of cultural activities, culinary scene, museums, art, vibrant music scene. Many music groups were started in LA.

Diverse culture with excellent restaurants/eating establishments of all types.

Access to the entertainment industry. My nephew moved to LA from Seattle, in 2020. He is a music producer and secured a great job, in his field, in LA.

I attended college in LA and lived there for more than 20 years, before returning home.

Last edited by ccm123; 02-06-2024 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-06-2024, 09:24 AM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminesnow View Post
It seems so filthy to me, polluted, busy as hell and extremely expensive. I’m lost why people want to live there. Ok, maybe if you’re super wealthy but even then. Hmm
All depends on where you live. My brother lives in Pacific Palisades which is very nice with the beach and woods close by. Anyway, he was visiting me recently and apparently there is trouble in paradise. Now, he has lived in his house for 30 years and up until several months ago always parked in the driveway. Today the car stays inside the garage. Why? Because his car had been broken four times over the past 18 months. Twice in front of his house, once while he was grocery shopping and another in Venice. He also mentioned there has been an increase in "knock-knock” burglaries in his area.

Of course, there has always been crime in Pacific Palisades but there has been a noticeable increase over the past two years which is concerning my brother. However, he has no plans to leave.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:27 AM

50 posts, read 63,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Amazing climate, access to year-round outdoor activities, beautiful beaches, scenery, great amenities, to name a few.

Your statement beginning with "It seems" implies that either you haven't been here and are basing your impressions on what you see in the news, or you came but never ventured off the tourist track. There are not 19 million people living here because it's a disgusting, filthy, stressful place to be.

Full disclosure: I actually live in Orange County.
Been there several times. had an old girlfriend who lived there and still does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles