Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,389 times

Advertisements

we are new to LA, moving from an extremely "vanilla" city. But the robberies or attempted robberies in our neighborhood (Bungalow Heaven in Pasadena) is getting a little ridiculous. In the past day we have had 5 reports of people scoping out houses, a succesful robbery and several reported attempts (people finding their gates left open, doors being jiggled). There are folks going around trying to "sell" newspaper subscriptions and other services but when confronted they are vague, give little info or just get nervous and take off if confronted.

The police helicopters are swarming every evening and police cars are abundant - which is good I suppose. Is this a normal thing for this city? With so many houses being affected already, it seems like a matter of time before ours gets hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
we are new to LA, moving from an extremely "vanilla" city. But the robberies or attempted robberies in our neighborhood (Bungalow Heaven in Pasadena) is getting a little ridiculous. In the past day we have had 5 reports of people scoping out houses, a succesful robbery and several reported attempts (people finding their gates left open, doors being jiggled). There are folks going around trying to "sell" newspaper subscriptions and other services but when confronted they are vague, give little info or just get nervous and take off if confronted.

The police helicopters are swarming every evening and police cars are abundant - which is good I suppose. Is this a normal thing for this city? With so many houses being affected already, it seems like a matter of time before ours gets hit.
I am sorry to hear about all that. I lived in Pasadena for a few years and really liked it. Although I was walking the dog one night and saw a helicopter spot light about a block or two away from where I was walking. I was just waiting for some dude to come running my way ala Cops.

I wish I could offer some advice other than getting a counterfeit ADT sign.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I wish I could offer some advice other than getting a counterfeit ADT sign.
An ADT sign? That's more like a welcome sign rather than a deterrent because they know that they won't be responsive.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
An ADT sign? That's more like a welcome sign rather than a deterrent because they know that they won't be responsive.
I guess that is why ADT calls the local cops.

There aren't ADT security guards that drive around answering calls.

But hey I guess an empty house with no sign is a great deterrent.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,389 times
Really? Alarm signs dont deter break-ins around here? Seems like that or a "beware of dog" sign would be helpful on some level. Its pretty troubling considering there are a few moms here who stay home with their little ones. And we thought this area was "safe". I guess nowhere around here is really safe

Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I guess that is why ADT calls the local cops.
That's just it - they don't, and the burglars know that.

My co-worker's old neighbor had first-hand experience of that. They had an ADT alarm. They had a day-time break-in. The alarms did go off. ADT never responded. Stolen were 3 flatscreens, 2 computers, cash, and jewelry. What was the point of having ADT?

Run a google search ... there are many other stories on the same subject.

Another alarm company's sign would be a good deterrent. No sign, possibly a deterrent because some will read that as "I don't have anything valuable enough to care about, so don't waste your time." Having an ADT sign - not a deterrent.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:46 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,967,143 times
A "beware of dog" sign would be utterly useless if is not accompanied by a dog barking.
A video camera setup with some sort of indication that one were being videotaped may help.
Bob.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
That's just it - they don't, and the burglars know that.

My co-worker's old neighbor had first-hand experience of that. They had an ADT alarm. They had a day-time break-in. The alarms did go off. ADT never responded. Stolen were 3 flatscreens, 2 computers, cash, and jewelry. What was the point of having ADT?

Run a google search ... there are many other stories on the same subject.

Another alarm company's sign would be a good deterrent. No sign, possibly a deterrent because some will read that as "I don't have anything valuable enough to care about, so don't waste your time." Having an ADT sign - not a deterrent.
Well I stand corrected.

I had no idea that ADT was so bad. It seems like a pretty simple system, but if they don't even call the cops then it is obviously useless.

The no sign as a deterrent has a certain appeal. You could even take it a step further and make your house look really crappy on the outside (bathtub in the yard etc.).

Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,837,431 times
Too bad. We had ADT back in the day, and they were way more responsive than the cops. We knew them on a first-name basis, but that was a ritzy neighborhood, and they were well-paid there.

Short of barbed wire, a moat with crocodiles, a big Semper Fi flag*, and Clint Eastwood on the porch, the real/fake security camera idea is one that works, but you at least have to have its red light on.

*Edit: This and/or a POW flag can work wonders. Only the truly crazy would intrude into the space of a flag-waving veteran.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,590 times
helicopters ARE very prevalent in los angeles. certain areas get it more than others. echo park seems to be popular with the ghetto birds as is venice. in summer i used to sit on my balcony in venice and get spotlighted regularly. i can't make up my mind if this makes me feel safer or not. : /
i am sorry to hear about your burglaries. do you have a camera or something you could mount up? those security cameras are pretty cheap. you could also actually GET a dog. even if they don't protect you bodily they are great alarms. is there a neighborhood watch in your area? i would start one. meet with your neighbors. come up with a flier or something to hand out round the neighborhood and maybe get the local council involved. burglars prosper when people do nothing! cops are only good after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles