Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 07:04 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
There's so much incorrect information here that I'll take it piece by piece.

Since tuition right now is just about the same as it has historically been, and we only had an influx of foreign students for higher education recently demonstrates that there is no relationship between tuition and foreign students.

India and China produce more qualified students for college than America does. It's just a small percentage of their overall population (most of which don't have access to good education to begin with). This is natural since a higher population pool, the more qualified candidates. So when you compare the countries overall population, China and India would rank lower. But when you compare how many qualified candidates they produce, they are higher. It's also worth noting that everyone in India who is qualified knows English and recently the same has been true of China (sidenote: India has the second most English speakers -- behind the US).

There's no secret as to why these immigrants perform so well in our colleges, as well as in the workforce.
Apparently, you didn’t understand what I wrote, or didn’t take the time to bother comprehending it. School at the “secondary” level is high school, not college. The U.S. is taking in immigrants from the Third World, which has greatly affected schools (read: grades K-12), considering the learning process is slowed considerably (as well, as much more expensive for the tax payer). The second part, tuition rates have gone up considerably, particularly when compared to inflation. At my own university, tuition went up as much as 12% per year for several years. Colleges and Universities in this country are in the business of making money, it is in their interest to attract foreign students to increase revenue. The school president at my school (not an elite school), by the name of Ron Machtley was making $6.2M per year by the time of his retirement, which is an absurd amount of money for his annual salary. Machtley’s salary was approximately 150k in 1997, in 2016, it was around $600k, which ballooned to $6.2M by retirement. Colleges and universities are literally gouging students, particularly the elite colleges and universities. Also note, that many colleges don’t refer to themselves a colleges anymore, and prefer the more lucrative term “university” specifically because it attracts foreign students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 07:21 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
The second part, tuition rates have gone up considerably, particularly when compared to inflation. At my own university, tuition went up as much as 12% per year for several years.
For several years? Tuition was never tied to inflation. It was tied to teacher salary (school teacher, not professors). For several years, are you cherrypicking years where tuition was artificially cheap due to government involvement? Or are you looking at actual historic rates? Most people look at tuition from the 70's and 80's to now and ignore history. Look at a larger set of data.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Huh..?? Do you know what your talking about? Immigration maintains more competition for low wage jobs, which depressing wages. The more competition for jobs, the lower the wages. Immigration actually dilutes wages, not only for low wage jobs, but for skilled workers as well. H1B visas are utilized to allow employers to pay lower wages to foreign workers, who are unlikely to complain, because their primary goal is often to secure U.S. citizenship. The H1B visa makes obtaining employment more difficult for U.S. citizens. Because foreign workers dilute wages, the work force has a more difficult time making ends meet, because inflation is increasing at a faster rate than wages. Most colleges and universities are aware that foreign students have their eye on coming to the U.S. as well, which has allowed schools to increase tuition rates at a considerably higher rate than inflation preventing U.S. students from attending despite being fully qualified.

Actually, these people come here for the education, and usually have every intention of staying after graduation. Foreign students are the primary means of allowing schools to drive up tuition rates out of reach for American students. Also, recognize that the U.S. had the finest education in the world at the secondary level, making American students the most qualified entering college. Sadly, mostly because of the huge influx of immigrants from the Third World, many of which had never been to school previously, or are even able to speak English, has caused the U.S. to slip behind many westernized countries considerably.
How missing two letters screws up a post. Change my post to read "increases income INequality".
The below article seems to agree, although it adds a few additions that I do not agree with (proposing increasing immigration for high skilled workers, which like you said will just depress wages in other brackets).

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/usappblog/20...rse-in-the-us/

Old 12-01-2020, 03:24 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I don't follow how immigration is the BEST way to reduce inequality. Especially immigration from a single region. Education is more valuable in this regard.
I think a good analogy is international trade. You could argue to the best way to reduce prices for tomatoes is to improve productivity of tomato production in the US, and there will be some gains there, but it might be a whole lot easier to import them from Mexico where they grow much better. In the same regard, there's a surplus of people willing to do blue collar jobs in the US that currently need workers, how does educating Mexican workers improve their lot over there and improve our outcomes over here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Immigration actually increases income equality and economic disparity by increasing the uneducated/low income worker base in a country. This is due to two reasons: Most of these immigrants are unskilled and then gravitate to low wage jobs, the more immigrants we take in, the less competition for low wage jobs. Thus depressing wages and opportunities.
It's about where you draw the circle. If you ONLY look at US citizens, yes, this may be the case. If you draw the circle to include both the US and the country they came from, the QOL bump is huge from where they are after immigration to what they had prior.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:10 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Neither the OP, nor the article discusses illegal immigration. It's in the wrong forum.
Yes it did also discuss illegal immigration. I didn't fail to read the entire article. I read it all. Once again, here's your clue......"if you criminalize migration, then your approach always [will]be policing, contentious [and]reduction of migration".

It's only illegal immigration that we criminalize not legal immigration. You and your lawyer friend need to grab a clue!

Old 12-01-2020, 07:30 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
Mexico is one of, if not the, most entitled nation on earth.

What an absolute leech on our country.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:32 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes it did also discuss illegal immigration. I didn't fail to read the entire article. I read it all. Once again, here's your clue......"if you criminalize migration, then your approach always [will]be policing, contentious [and]reduction of migration".

It's only illegal immigration that we criminalize not legal immigration. You and your lawyer friend need to grab a clue!
This thread is in the legal immigration forum because the article discusses legal immigration through means of expanding temporary visas and refugee assessment -- again, both forms of legal immigration.

The article is not discussing unlawful entry to the country.

I'm no friends with the lawyer. No idea what you're talking about. Just because I quoted someone?

Old 12-04-2020, 05:21 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think a good analogy is international trade. You could argue to the best way to reduce prices for tomatoes is to improve productivity of tomato production in the US, and there will be some gains there, but it might be a whole lot easier to import them from Mexico where they grow much better. In the same regard, there's a surplus of people willing to do blue collar jobs in the US that currently need workers, how does educating Mexican workers improve their lot over there and improve our outcomes over here?
Very poor analogy. What does tomatoes have to do with immigration? Tomatoes are a product, or a good. Human beings are not commodities. People require food, shelter/subsidized, heating assistance, clothing, health care/free, schooling/free, ESL classes/free, interpreters/free, and are a huge expense on tax payers. 99.9% of people who come here, do not come here to work in the fields. Immigrants come here to exploit the benefits, whether it’s edging out a citizen from a college (it’s all in the name of diversity, after all), taking a job away from an American, or utilizing the H1B visa allowing employers to pay less. More people equals more strain on resources, more people means more waste filling landfills, more people means more pollution, more burning of fossil fuels, more congestion in traffic, more competition for housing which equals higher prices. Affordable areas are becoming unaffordable.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Quote:
Very poor analogy. What does tomatoes have to do with immigration? Tomatoes are a product, or a good. Human beings are not commodities. People require food, shelter/subsidized, heating assistance, clothing, health care/free, schooling/free, ESL classes/free, interpreters/free, and are a huge expense on tax payers. 99.9% of people who come here, do not come here to work in the fields. Immigrants come here to exploit the benefits, whether it’s edging out a citizen from a college (it’s all in the name of diversity, after all), taking a job away from an American, or utilizing the H1B visa allowing employers to pay less. More people equals more strain on resources, more people means more waste filling landfills, more people means more pollution, more burning of fossil fuels, more congestion in traffic, more competition for housing which equals higher prices. Affordable areas are becoming unaffordable.
Based on my experience,"99.9%" of people already here (legacy Americans) are just coasting. Using up.resources without bothering to do even a half assed attempt at their job. Immigrants are more likely to be the ones busting ass for a better life than lazy local townies.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:30 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
From reading the article what the Ambassador is seeking is a loosening of immigration standards to let the flood of prospective migrants in legally.

Of course she would, because Mexico can’t handle them.
Hey, who wouldn't want to ship the poverty out of their country and burden another country? I sure wish the US could do that, but then, a lot of those would be illegal aliens going back to where they came from, which we could do, but.................

With the country's current financial deficit, we don't need any more people from anywhere to carry on the taxpayers' backs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration