Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 03:11 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
Eat BBQ, watch football, listen to country music...
With all due respect: Hell yes, no and hell no, respectively.

But the US gave the world blues and blues begat jazz, and that more than makes up for country. Football is still a complete misunderstanding, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 05:43 PM

855 posts, read 452,283 times
My wife is a legal Eastern European immigrant and the worst treatment and attitudes she received was during our time in SF during the Obama presidency.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yeah but Americans aren't snotty in general like the French. French act elitist.

Americans famously consider and loudly expound on their opinion that the US is literally the greatest country to ever exist and that all other countries are inferior in wealth, freedom, success, beauty, etc.

And even if you think that is true, how is that not snotty and elitist when Americans travel overseas and look down on everything and complain about how "That's not how we do it in the good ol' USA!" ?

Old 03-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Americans famously consider and loudly expound on their opinion that the US is literally the greatest country to ever exist and that all other countries are inferior in wealth, freedom, success, beauty, etc.
Heh. I did encounter one guy who congratulated me on my new freedoms, as if I'd escaped from behind the Iron Curtain or something. But it was obviously kindly meant, so I just thanked him and moved on.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
And even if you think that is true, how is that not snotty and elitist when Americans travel overseas and look down on everything and complain about how "That's not how we do it in the good ol' USA!" ?
Emotive conjugation. I am stating facts, you are bragging, he is arrogant.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:26 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:

You should join some of the "tipping in the US" threads in travel forums

Old 03-08-2020, 04:17 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,855 times
Quote:
Well, those facts are all true.

Quote:
Not all Americans do that. But yeah the food all sucked and lukewarm water, especially with meals, is disgusting. Have they not heard of ice overseas? Or air conditioning?

In any case, those Europeans should be thanking me for their free defense my country provides them that I pay for.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:20 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Heh. I did encounter one guy who congratulated me on my new freedoms, as if I'd escaped from behind the Iron Curtain or something. But it was obviously kindly meant, so I just thanked him and moved on.
Denmark is a prison compared to here with the taxes and such.

Don't you like living in the most successful country on Earth while paying low taxes compared to the rest of the world?

Thanks for coming here the legal way, though.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:07 PM

630 posts, read 526,859 times
Originally Posted by ABQConvict
Quote:
Wealth? You can't compare one European country to the whole USA in absolute terms. In relative terms, wealth is comparable, some European countries even have the upper hand.
Freedom? Both are equally as free, give and take.
Success? That's a subjective topic
Beauty? That's another subjective topic. I notice that American tourists abroad are often not well-known for their fashion sense. Just saying.
Quote:
Not all Americans do that. But yeah the food all sucked and lukewarm water, especially with meals, is disgusting. Have they not heard of ice overseas? Or air conditioning?
In any case, those Europeans should be thanking me for their free defense my country provides them that I pay for.
Personally, I find ice in water useless and it gives me a sore-throat. Americans like to blast the A/C to the point where it's freezing and uncomfortable. I'm not even talking about the particles it just spreads (which is great in this coronavirus era, can't wait for the american summer).

As an American, you should know that nothing is free. By providing military assistance during the cold war, the USA found itself an entry into great markets for its exports. "Pax Americana" also known as NATO, started becoming obsolete and dysfunctional the moment the Berlin wall started receiving the first blows that would tear it apart. Remember also, that the USSR were the ones who truly defeated Germany, and that the US troops in reality fought little during the war in comparison to the other major belligerents.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Denmark is a prison compared to here with the taxes and such.
You have no idea. No, really - you have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration