Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 03:58 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That’s very true and I’ve seen those little enclaves as well. Super nice. But for me, I guess it’s just pure personal preference. I’ve done that - my neighborhood (South Park) in Downtown Los Angeles near Staples was very upscale, nice, well off. But you’re 3-4 blocks from sketchy areas in a few directions and 8-10 at best. People talk about Aliante in NLV and I have no doubt it’s fantastic, everyone says so. But do you want to live in the nice area of the ghetto area, or the nice area of the nice area? I don’t want even the idea of people thinking, “Ohhhh, you’re in NORTH Las Vegas.” Everyone knows that’s the worst area even people who don’t live here, so I would personally tire of explaining, “No no, our area is good, I swear! It’s nice.” There’s almost always a nice area of the larger ghetto area, there’s a super nice and upscale area of Oakland. That doesn’t make Oakland a good place to live. It’s a terrible place to live. My SFPD family friend won’t even go to Oakland, he wouldn’t even pick us up from the airport, we had to meet him in SF. That says something and it’s not something good. So while I’m totally aware there are nice areas and pockets in the larger “not a good area” situation, for me personally that’s not what I’d want. Not when there are better options. But if I worked at Nellis? Then yes, Aliante it would be. I hate driving long distances lol.
Good thoughts and I especially like (and agree with): But do you want to live in the nice area of the ghetto area, or the nice area of the nice area?

That's so true. I personally like to go for walks and runs and want to know I am probably going to still be in a fairly safe neighborhood even if I go a mile or two away. Likewise when I go to the corner market, gas station, etc... I want to know I am generally in a fairly safe place. I realize everywhere has some issues but I want to minimize issues in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 03:59 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
That’s very true and I’ve seen those little enclaves as well. Super nice. But for me, I guess it’s just pure personal preference. I’ve done that - my neighborhood (South Park) in Downtown Los Angeles near Staples was very upscale, nice, well off. But you’re 3-4 blocks from sketchy areas in a few directions and 8-10 at best. People talk about Aliante in NLV and I have no doubt it’s fantastic, everyone says so. But do you want to live in the nice area of the ghetto area, or the nice area of the nice area? I don’t want even the idea of people thinking, “Ohhhh, you’re in NORTH Las Vegas.” Everyone knows that’s the worst area even people who don’t live here, so I would personally tire of explaining, “No no, our area is good, I swear! It’s nice.” There’s almost always a nice area of the larger ghetto area, there’s a super nice and upscale area of Oakland. That doesn’t make Oakland a good place to live. It’s a terrible place to live. My SFPD family friend won’t even go to Oakland, he wouldn’t even pick us up from the airport, we had to meet him in SF. That says something and it’s not something good. So while I’m totally aware there are nice areas and pockets in the larger “not a good area” situation, for me personally that’s not what I’d want. Not when there are better options. But if I worked at Nellis? Then yes, Aliante it would be. I hate driving long distances lol.
We agree to a point. For instance Aliante is not near any questionable areas.. It borders 89131 to its west and has pretty good housing south to below Craig Road. So it is some miles from anywhere questionable. And by the way check out the Aliante Country Club. Pretty similar to good Henderson or Summerlin at a lower price. And in some ways it is even more convenient. Just sold a couple - Doctor and retired lawyer - a place in Sun City Aliante. They came from a very nice house in Summerlin. And they like the new house better as well as having pocketed $300,000.

And some of the estates in Lone Mountain cannot be duplicated in S. Henderson though it may be workable in the far east section of Henderson.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:02 PM

174 posts, read 206,216 times
I'd be somewhat curious over what areas in Las Vegas have the vintage homes but would still be considered decent/safe. Asstons of amenities and good schools not a concern, heh.

~C

Old 02-02-2021, 04:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
I'd be somewhat curious over what areas in Las Vegas have the vintage homes but would still be considered decent/safe. Asstons of amenities and good schools not a concern, heh.

~C
Scotch 80, McNeill Estates, Palomino Area. All close to the Strip on the other side of 15. Drive around on Alta and Rancho as far south as Sahara. Unfortunately many are gated and you cannot get in without an RE Agent.

For the NW estates start at Lone Mountain and 215 and work you way west to the 95.

For Henderson estates find Racetrack and explore the surrounding streets.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:26 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Scotch 80, McNeill Estates, Palomino Area. All close to the Strip on the other side of 15. Drive around on Alta and Rancho as far south as Sahara. Unfortunately many are gated and you cannot get in without an RE Agent.

For the NW estates start at Lone Mountain and 215 and work you way west to the 95.

You are a wealth of information in your profession. The CD Vegas board is better when you are contributing as you clearly know the LV real estate market! Thank you.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:37 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,624 times
Quote:
My SFPD family friend won’t even go to Oakland, he wouldn’t even pick us up from the airport, we had to meet him in SF. That says something and it’s not something good.

I agree, but it has nothing to do with Oakland or it's airport.

I'm sorry, but if that's true, your family "friend" sounds a tad bit dramatic and like a bit of a douchebag . For one thing, Oakland's airport is nowhere near the "ghetto". It's way out on Hegenberger Road and practically in San Leandro and Alameda near the Coast Guard base.

Secondly, for a grown man who's been militarily trained in the SFPD, and legally carrying a firearm, to refuse to come and pick up his friends sounds like he's got a really awful personal problem. In other words, he's not as much of a "friend" as you may think. I've flown into Oakland quite a few times to visit my nephew at Alameda, and never have I or my wife felt intimidated.

McCarran International has more sketchy areas in A LOT CLOSER proximity than Oakland International does. Yet, despite that, I've never felt intimidated to the point where I couldn't leave the airport and venture past the rougher parts of Paradise towards the Strip.

I wonder how many LVMPD officers have refused to go pick up friends and relatives at McCarran, for fear of having to drive through sketchy parts of Paradise?

Last edited by apple92680; 02-02-2021 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-02-2021, 06:28 PM

174 posts, read 206,216 times
Quote:

Excellent, thank you

~C

Old 02-02-2021, 10:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Roughly speaking yes for sure. If you have the budget you should end up in Summerlin or in Henderson somewhere. I know people love to refer to these little micro neighborhoods here, so in Henderson like MacDonald Ranch or MacDonald Highlands, Anthem, Seven Hills, Green Valley Ranch. I’ve heard some say below the 215, so South Green Valley preferred. I love my area and I can basically drive 10 minutes in any direction and be in a great area of town, so I’m in the middle of that as I see it. That’s anywhere within 10 minutes I’d say of Ascaya, which is like The Ridges (Summerlin) of Henderson.

We are anti-kids haha so I don’t know about the actual school experience but our area had 8-9 ratings out of 10 for lower, middle, and high schools in the area. Can’t remember which one was the worst but they all have solid ratings. I know most will tell you the overall education system here isn’t good, which for us was a bonus because it generally makes for less taxes and maybe if we’re lucky fewer parents but I guess not

Thanks a lot. I copy and pasted this to notes. It's great to have specific areas within the area to check. lol, yeah I hear you. We have 3 dogs, no kids, but will have them in the next city we live mainly so we aren't 80 years old with nobody to take care of us haha.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Again some truth but it is also somewhat misleading. For instance there are places directly across 15 from the strip that are favored by the very well off. It is where Steve Wynn was about to build when it all went south. There are also very high end small tracts hidden in various places like the near east side. And there are places where estates exist. The house across the main street from us is a humongous Tudor on 10 acres. Every amenity known to man and a staff. And there are a number of those in the Lone Mountain RNP

Thanks! I remember looking at Loft 5, they were out of my price range, but it was a dream for me back then. I was looking at Park Avenue as well back then. The condo I was under contract with was $80k. It's actually interesting coming full circle now. I was "this close" to moving to Las Vegas and then it fell apart and now 10 years later coming back to look with a much healthier budget lol.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Good thoughts and I especially like (and agree with): But do you want to live in the nice area of the ghetto area, or the nice area of the nice area?

That's so true. I personally like to go for walks and runs and want to know I am probably going to still be in a fairly safe neighborhood even if I go a mile or two away. Likewise when I go to the corner market, gas station, etc... I want to know I am generally in a fairly safe place. I realize everywhere has some issues but I want to minimize issues in my life.

That's how I feel as well. When I moved to San Francisco instead of Las Vegas, I was in a nice condo development in the ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas