Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 12:30 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That's what is frustrating about houses in Las Cruces. There just isn't a lot of housing stock of the older part of town that isn't either A) tiny houses with tiny lots B) in a rough neighborhood C) cheaply constructed.

There just aren't too many areas of those grand old homes from the '20s and '30s around the city center like you have in so many cities and towns. There are some on and around Alameda street north of downtown.
That is exactly right Eddie, but this area has gone up in the last 2-3 years, especially what I like to call "the zone" between Picacho, Alameda, Amador and Mesilla. That bounding box or square is where the gold is in my view. When I first moved here it was a depressed area but it has really taken off. I think the outlook is similarly good on Alameda north of Picacho, as long as you don't go west of the railroad tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 08:56 PM

78 posts, read 76,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille98 View Post
Hello again, tobyo! We've chatted a little already. I didn't know you liked to sing and play music. I used to be in a local choir group and my husband played drums in bands for many years and also dabbles on bass a little. I can play a little acoustic guitar. Maybe when you get down there, we can jam a little!
wow! hey, you could check out the local choirs and I'll join when I get there next year! Hubby is actually the jammer, I need music to read as I don't have that jamming gene when it comes to playing my flute. He plays bass. We could form a little band

Quote:
We are from the metro area of Duluth/Superior, with a population similar to LC, but decreasing. While our scenery is stunning, our downtown areas are mostly non-existent, which is just fine with us as we live in the country and mostly keep to ourselves.

LC is appealing to us mainly due to weather, but I think the scenery is also stunning. It appears to be growing in population, even if not in industry. But as the population grows, it seems that demand for more restaurants and shops would follow.

A more laid back environment is very appealing. Duluth is a small city that likes to pretend it's a big city. We are having a lot of drug problems and crime spiking. Shootings are becoming a regular occurrence. I am more than ready to leave.
I think you mentioned being on Lake Superior but in WI so I figured you were in that area. I didn't know about shootings and crime though. Ick, or as some Minnesotans say "ish". Of course I totally agree about the weather in LC! I wonder if we ever got to our predicted high of 2 below today......My poor cat, who loves to go outdoors, has a bit of cabin fever. Uh, get used to it Frankie. Gonna be frigid this entire week! I do have a remote job so at least I don't have to go anywhere. Another positive about this bitter cold? Usually the sun comes out, at least down here in the cities it's like that. It was so nice to see the sun today! and probably tomorrow and Tuesday then, wow, cloudy for several days after that. Ugh. and that's another thing to find appealing about LC: many days of sunshine. I could get used to that.

Quote:
We have been watching the available housing situation dwindle in LC every day. So the plan is to close on our house here, get in touch with a realtor there, come visit for a week, and be ready to hop on whatever looks appealing. That might be an older home near city center that just needs some updating, or it might be somewhere on the outskirts that is ready as-is. We have a pretty open mind when it comes to housing. We don't need a lot of room and with so many parks, trails, and hiking, we no longer feel we need the isolation of 20 country acres like we currently have.

I wish you luck whatever you decide. No matter what you decide, there will always be naysayers. I am hopeful that if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. There are many New Mexicans that don't want an influx of outsiders, and I can't blame them. But we have no desire to come down and expect everybody to change to suit what we are used to. We are happy to come down and honor the lifestyle that is already in place. There is a lot of passive-aggressiveness up here and I'd like to live where people are genuinely nice and helpful.

We visited LC once and I immediately came home and got a NM zia inspired tattoo. That's how much it felt like home to me immediately. When we drove from Santa Fe to Taos, when viewing the jaw-dropping beauty, I didn't feel just awe...I felt an immense sense of pride in what we knew would be our future home.

I don't think New Mexico is for everybody, and that's just fine. But I think it's for me.
I wish you luck as well and hope all the pieces fall in place. I'm still reading up on the entire state and putting together a plan to visit later this year. I'm looking forward to taking some of those scenic drives!

Old 02-16-2021, 09:57 AM

99 posts, read 111,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This post is very spot-on. I call Las Cruces "The Goldilocks" place. Not too hot or too cold. That swing is due to elevation. Albuquerque, depending on where you are is 5000-6200 feet elevation. Las Cruces is 3800 feet downtown and 4500 feet on the East Mesa. Tucson, in contrast, is mostly around 2300 feet. Phoenix is 500 feet above sea level. This dictates a lot of the comfort at night here versus the Arizona cities. Albuquerque, while slightly cooler in the summer than Las Cruces, is markedly colder in the winter than here. We are going to be a high of 71 degrees here today. And the price per square foot for a home here is lower than any of the other cities mentioned here.
While Cruces doesn't have the absolute best weather in the country, I think it delivers the best VALUE in weather. I came up with an informal 'weather value' index that takes into account cost of living, quality of life and weather. I don't know of anywhere that delivers better weather value than Cruces.

Of course, your mileage may vary if you like winter, snow, humidity, cooler temperatures, and the like. Me, I want Hawaii/San Diego weather year-round.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:25 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Hello again, tobyo! We've chatted a little already. I didn't know you liked to sing and play music. I used to be in a local choir group and my husband played drums in bands for many years and also dabbles on bass a little. I can play a little acoustic guitar. Maybe when you get down there, we can jam a little!

We are from the metro area of Duluth/Superior, with a population similar to LC, but decreasing. While our scenery is stunning, our downtown areas are mostly non-existent, which is just fine with us as we live in the country and mostly keep to ourselves.

LC is appealing to us mainly due to weather, but I think the scenery is also stunning. It appears to be growing in population, even if not in industry. But as the population grows, it seems that demand for more restaurants and shops would follow.

A more laid back environment is very appealing. Duluth is a small city that likes to pretend it's a big city. We are having a lot of drug problems and crime spiking. Shootings are becoming a regular occurrence. I am more than ready to leave.

We have been watching the available housing situation dwindle in LC every day. So the plan is to close on our house here, get in touch with a realtor there, come visit for a week, and be ready to hop on whatever looks appealing. That might be an older home near city center that just needs some updating, or it might be somewhere on the outskirts that is ready as-is. We have a pretty open mind when it comes to housing. We don't need a lot of room and with so many parks, trails, and hiking, we no longer feel we need the isolation of 20 country acres like we currently have.

I wish you luck whatever you decide. No matter what you decide, there will always be naysayers. I am hopeful that if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. There are many New Mexicans that don't want an influx of outsiders, and I can't blame them. But we have no desire to come down and expect everybody to change to suit what we are used to. We are happy to come down and honor the lifestyle that is already in place. There is a lot of passive-aggressiveness up here and I'd like to live where people are genuinely nice and helpful.

We visited LC once and I immediately came home and got a NM zia inspired tattoo. That's how much it felt like home to me immediately. When we drove from Santa Fe to Taos, when viewing the jaw-dropping beauty, I didn't feel just awe...I felt an immense sense of pride in what we knew would be our future home.

I don't think New Mexico is for everybody, and that's just fine. But I think it's for me.

There is way more violent crime in Las Cruces than in Duluth. Waaaaay more.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
T And the price per square foot for a home here is lower than any of the other cities mentioned here.

Not for long, especially if real estate agents such as yourself keep trying to encourage more people to move here. But that will work out nicely for you.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
um.....wow.

It does snow in LC. From what I've read, yes, it can snow there but it doesn't stay on the ground there very long, unlike, oh, I don't know, Minnesota. I took a look at the forecasts for the next week:

LC: SUNNY and mid 60s just about every day.
Twin cities: oh wow, we'll get some sun(so unusual for winter)........but highs around zero and the high on Sunday is projected to be 6 below zero.

How do you know that I want to live where there are already too many people? Phoenix doesn't interest me at all. And even more so since you say there are too many people. I left Los Angeles for that and other reasons.

I am sorry that wages don't keep up with housing costs in LC, I really am. You should probably talk to your legislators about that and maybe don't comment on a thread where the person is asking about a different city?

So its your belief that we should rely on our legislators rather than for people to be responsible and understand and consider the consequences of their own actions. That gets you off the hook, doesn't it?

Old 03-08-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
she doesn't live in Duluth.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Have you a link for your stipulation? Because everything I've read says that most of the crime in LC is property crime. So I would love to see what you're seeing.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
So its your belief that we should rely on our legislators rather than for people to be responsible and understand and consider the consequences of their own actions. That gets you off the hook, doesn't it?
I didn't say that. Nothing like putting words in someone else's mouth huh?

Old 03-13-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
she doesn't live in Duluth.

This would seem to contradict that.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces