Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 09:39 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times

Advertisements

Have searched this forum but there's nothing remotely recent. I'll be moved there in less than two weeks but could use a bit of advice re grocery stores in the area. Other than Walmart and (Kroger-owned) Fry's, there will be nothing familiar to me when I get there. I'll be living in South Knox but relatively close-in. Could someone give me the lowdown on Food City and Publix? My #1 priority is who has the lowest prices, so I may end up continuing at Walmart.

Someone told me about the Grocery Outlet on Chapman Highway which wouldn't be too far from me - is it someplace you can do an actual grocery run or is it a hit-&-miss kind of place? I'm not into visiting multiple locations to get everything I need for the week. I was in that Kroger nearby on my last visit and while it is identical to the Kroger-owned Fry's here, The clientele was seriously sketchy and I most likely won't be going back to that location.

Thoughts? I had one random person on my FB tell me that Publix "is where the richy-rich" go... but it's near campus so how expensive can it be if students go there? (I rode the orange trolley which stops in the basement parking lot of the Publix, and there were a huge number of students hauling groceries from there. Are they shopping there because of price or is it the only option available to them?)

(PS: Just had my screen name changed to reflect my new area code!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 09:49 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
We like Ingles. I particularly like their meat but their produce is also good.
Publix and Food City and Kroger are also good.
WalMart MAY be a bit cheaper but I believe there is a drop off in quality.

You might also try Aldi if you never have. I have neighbors that shop there regularly and love it.

I will also say this: I have been in 3 different Food City stores and one had noticeably better meat and seafood then the other 2. Doesn't make sense but there it is. I would try several different stores before you settle in on your favorite.

I am not that familiar with South Knox since we shop mostly in Farragut.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:08 PM

Thanks - never heard of Ingles or Aldi but it appears neither are anywhere near where I'll be living.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:00 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I'm not in knoxville but further east. Food City quality will typically depend on location and store management/ It's a bit higher priced than kroger on some things, but their sale prices are generally pretty competitive. Publix is a little more tony, they'll generally have a better selection in the deli/bakery and produce areas. Can't speak to the meat dept as I don't eat much meat.
You could pull up a publix ad with your soon to be zip code to get some kind of idea what their pricing is, they also do some pretty good sales from time to time, might make it worthwhile to make a special trip now and then

Old 01-29-2023, 08:25 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Aldi is probably going to be your cheapest bet. Or Dollar General Market for groceries.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:55 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Kroger's is partnering with Walgreens, so you may be able to get some groceries in Walgreens.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:32 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson865 View Post
Have searched this forum but there's nothing remotely recent. I'll be moved there in less than two weeks but could use a bit of advice re grocery stores in the area. Other than Walmart and (Kroger-owned) Fry's, there will be nothing familiar to me when I get there. I'll be living in South Knox but relatively close-in. Could someone give me the lowdown on Food City and Publix? My #1 priority is who has the lowest prices, so I may end up continuing at Walmart.

Someone told me about the Grocery Outlet on Chapman Highway which wouldn't be too far from me - is it someplace you can do an actual grocery run or is it a hit-&-miss kind of place? I'm not into visiting multiple locations to get everything I need for the week. I was in that Kroger nearby on my last visit and while it is identical to the Kroger-owned Fry's here, The clientele was seriously sketchy and I most likely won't be going back to that location.

Thoughts? I had one random person on my FB tell me that Publix "is where the richy-rich" go... but it's near campus so how expensive can it be if students go there? (I rode the orange trolley which stops in the basement parking lot of the Publix, and there were a huge number of students hauling groceries from there. Are they shopping there because of price or is it the only option available to them?)

(PS: Just had my screen name changed to reflect my new area code!)
With Kroger you can get a discount card to get deals on groceries there. In your area many Kroger also sell gas. If you do most shopping at Kroger can be good value. Quality may depend on the particular store. Publix may be top quality grocer with best service.

If you just want lowest price you may end up at Food City and WalMart but don't forget Kroger. Because you can find different items at each store pays to try each of them. For the students shopping at Publix they may find good deli & prepared items at good price.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
With Kroger you can get a discount card to get deals on groceries there. In your area many Kroger also sell gas. If you do most shopping at Kroger can be good value. Quality may depend on the particular store. Publix may be top quality grocer with best service.

If you just want lowest price you may end up at Food City and WalMart but don't forget Kroger. Because you can find different items at each store pays to try each of them. For the students shopping at Publix they may find good deli & prepared items at good price.
I don't know about Kroger but but both Food City and Ingles offer free memberships.
You scan your card when you check out and get discounts on select items (they are marked in the store and in the weekly flyer) and you get gas points so you pay less at the pump when you buy gas from them.

Ingles sends us an email flyer every Tuesday (it comes in the junk mail on Wednesday) with the sale and special items for the week. Plus they sometimes offer a double gas points option you have to click on for it to load to your card.

Old 01-29-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post

I've lived in two areas where there was a Kroger-owned subsidiary (Fred Meyer in the Pacific NW and Fry's here in Arizona) and I discovered the "membership" cards (with the associated phone number) are interchangeable and points accumulate to one single account. The points I earned from the Kroger when I was there a couple weeks ago ran right into the same account.

I tend to be a Walmart shopper if I need things from multiple departments (personal care, etc.) but a grocery-only run I'll do at a grocery store close by.

Old 01-29-2023, 02:47 PM

One more comment re Wallymart. It seems they are set up for families buying in bulk in the meat department. I prefer not to freeze beef and pork and at the grocery store I can get just enough for the 2 of us.

Just an observation.

This may not apply to you either but I have found beer and wine prices at grocery stores to be pretty reasonable compared to liquor stores. Of course no one is cheaper than Total Wine and Liquor.

Also, I have not found a meat market much to my dismay. Everywhere else I have lived had meat markets and the meat WAS definitely better than grocery store meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville