Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 12:36 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Considering a move in the Fall to a senior-living apartment complex in Manhattan. The town looks very walkable with things like stores/restaurants in close proximity to where I would be living, on Colorado Street off of 3rd. Does that observation hold true and/or any other feedback to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 05:18 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
That is close to downtown and there is more going on downtown these days. The mall is downtown, but it is not doing very well, as there are many vacancies in the mall, similar to other malls. Poyntz Avenue has quite a bit of activity and some restaurants. All very close to 3rd and Colorado. A grocery store may be a bit further away, but there is a Hyvee Store on 3rd Street. There are a bunch of motels close by. Very walkable location. There is an ATA bus route that goes very close to 3rd and Colorado.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:20 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
3rd and Colorado is kind of an area with a bunch of hotels because it is at the main junction where downtown meets the highways coming into town from I 35 and then they split around that area going north and west. So that spot doesn't have the tranquil, tree lined feel that most of Manhattan has. But as was described in the post above. Mall, Poyntz Ave (main downtown street) is right there. The river is only a block or so south and you are tucked down in there below the hills on rhw other side of the river. The HWYs branching off from that area have all the chain style eating joints.

A little further to Aggieville, KSU, the city park and the zoo... but the old neighborhoods between downtown and those places are very collegiate and beautiful. Downtown has wonderful white limestone buildings.

You and I disagreed on what constituted a perfect college town on another thread. You liked Athens, GA... and Chapel Hill. To me, Manhattan would be a "perfect" college town. It has that small town, bucolic charm that Athens and Chapel Hill no longer possess.

Other than having too much winter, I would really enjoy it there.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
That is close to downtown and there is more going on downtown these days. The mall is downtown, but it is not doing very well, as there are many vacancies in the mall, similar to other malls. Poyntz Avenue has quite a bit of activity and some restaurants. All very close to 3rd and Colorado. A grocery store may be a bit further away, but there is a Hyvee Store on 3rd Street. There are a bunch of motels close by. Very walkable location. There is an ATA bus route that goes very close to 3rd and Colorado.
Great to hear and thanks for the information. The ATA bus appears to have a stop right in front of the building on Colorado. I see the mall has a Dillard's and JC Penney which is enough for me, plus an AMC13 Books A Million and Mongolian Grill. Blue Earth Plaza and the Flint Hill Discovery Center look like good neighbors also. Hy-Vee and Dillons are close by too, not familiar with Dillons. Good option?

Old 02-28-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
3rd and Colorado is kind of an area with a bunch of hotels because it is at the main junction where downtown meets the highways coming into town from I 35 and then they split around that area going north and west. So that spot doesn't have the tranquil, tree lined feel that most of Manhattan has. But as was described in the post above. Mall, Poyntz Ave (main downtown street) is right there. The river is only a block or so south and you are tucked down in there below the hills on rhw other side of the river. The HWYs branching off from that area have all the chain style eating joints.

A little further to Aggieville, KSU, the city park and the zoo... but the old neighborhoods between downtown and those places are very collegiate and beautiful. Downtown has wonderful white limestone buildings.

You and I disagreed on what constituted a perfect college town on another thread. You liked Athens, GA... and Chapel Hill. To me, Manhattan would be a "perfect" college town. It has that small town, bucolic charm that Athens and Chapel Hill no longer possess.

Other than having too much winter, I would really enjoy it there.
Great assessment, thank you for the feedback!

Old 02-28-2024, 12:50 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Great assessment, thank you for the feedback!
Thanks, and don't think for a minute that I don't think Athens and Chapel Hill aren't awesome. Just bigger, more sophisticated and cosmopolitan than Manhattan, KS type places.

I did want to also mention that Aggieville which is the college entertainment district does have a handful of really good restaurants that townspeople visit. It isn't completely all college bars.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:41 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Hy-Vee and Dillons are close by too, not familiar with Dillons. Good option?
Dillons is a Kansas based grocery and convenience store chain now owned by Kroger. Years ago when I lived in Lawrence it was the only store I would shop. Don’t really know how it is now.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:20 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Dillons stores are very nice stores, but their prices are higher, so I rarely shop there. I used to shop there years ago. Dillons started in Kansas-Hutchison, I believe. The Kroger brand, at Dillons, is a bit less expensive, but still higher than other stores. It is a good place to pick a few things up. Kroger is trying to buy Albertsons.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/26/12329...grocery-merger

Old 02-28-2024, 08:26 PM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Considering a move in the Fall to a senior-living apartment complex in Manhattan. The town looks very walkable with things like stores/restaurants in close proximity to where I would be living, on Colorado Street off of 3rd. Does that observation hold true and/or any other feedback to share?
Sorry no rail, PBR and Avacado toast there.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Sorry no rail, PBR and Avacado toast there.
I'm afraid I'm going to need a translator here..??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: