Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 09:25 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm afraid I'm going to need a translator here..??
He must mean Professional Bull Riders.

https://pbr.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 03:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Considering a move in the Fall to a senior-living apartment complex in Manhattan. The town looks very walkable...
I'm curious about this, as I would love to live in NYC. Have you been approved for a room? Is there a waiting list? Is it HUD housing? What do you mean by "town"?

Old 03-05-2024, 03:45 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm curious about this, as I would love to live in NYC. Have you been approved for a room? Is there a waiting list? Is it HUD housing? What do you mean by "town"?
I found it through National Church Residences and they're exclusively senior income-restricted apartments (Independent Living) minus a waiting list in this instance. Many communities do have waiting lists but some are just a few months. Here's a list of NYC options...https://www.seniorhousingnet.com/sen...r-housing_type

Old 03-05-2024, 04:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
I found it through National Church Residences and they're exclusively senior income-restricted apartments (Independent Living) minus a waiting list in this instance. Many communities do have waiting lists but some are just a few months. Here's a list of NYC options...https://www.seniorhousingnet.com/sen...r-housing_type
Thanks!

Old 03-05-2024, 04:43 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What do you mean by "town"?
Manhattan, KS is a "town". At least in comparison to the "Manhattan" you are talking about.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:50 PM

Never mind....just found out that Kansas did not extend Medicaid benefit eligibility to the well-paid/well-off seniors and disabled making more than 10K per year and less than 14K, while Nebraska and Oklahoma did.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:05 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Never mind....just found out that Kansas did not extend Medicaid benefit eligibility to the well-paid/well-off seniors and disabled making more than 10K per year and less than 14K, while Nebraska and Oklahoma did.
While our governor, a Democrat, wants to expand Medicaid, the state really can't afford it. There is a 10 year waiting list with Medicaid here for services for people with developmental disabilities.

Also, many places actually advertise, but waiting lists, so anyone actually considering this needs to verify that there are current openings, unless they plan to wait.

We definitely don't need to recruit residents that are coming for benefits of any kind, unless they like the weather, fishing or hunting - oh, and sports, especially high school sports.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:14 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
While our governor, a Democrat, wants to expand Medicaid, the state really can't afford it. There is a 10 year waiting list with Medicaid here for services for people with developmental disabilities.

Also, many places actually advertise, but waiting lists, so anyone actually considering this needs to verify that there are current openings, unless they plan to wait.

We definitely don't need to recruit residents that are coming for benefits of any kind, unless they like the weather, fishing or hunting - oh, and sports, especially high school sports.
I agree. When someone who is likely to cost more in benefits than they pay in taxes is looking for a state to move to, I never suggest Ohio. Call it self-interest.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:34 PM

Actually for the ill-informed posters on this thread Social Security and Medicaid are federal programs paid into while working, and not coming out of your tight greedy pockets...so sleep well knowing that.

I worked and paid into that system for 42 years, so I'm fairly well covered from that aspect.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:14 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Actually for the ill-informed posters on this thread Social Security and Medicaid are federal programs paid into while working, and not coming out of your tight greedy pockets...so sleep well knowing that.

I worked and paid into that system for 42 years, so I'm fairly well covered from that aspect.
Medicaid is both state and federally funded depending on the entitlements we are talking about. Also, no one said anything about Social Security, except for you. In order to expand Medicaid, the STATE of Kansas has to use OUR tax dollars in order to bring it into the STATE of Kansas ($509 million), and as a state already heavily burdened with taxes and Medicaid recipients, as taxpayers, we don't need that.

Are you thinking of social security and Medicare? Are you thinking about SSI, formally known as "welfare"? I am just not sure what the heck you are talking about. Maybe become familiar with the names of the programs.

https://www.kcur.org/health/2022-12-...ene-in-january

"Critics of Medicaid expansion say that in addition to the cost to taxpayers, the added strain of more patients on the existing system and the absence of work requirements are also reasons to oppose it. Critics also question the federal government’s ability to manage the added administrative burden of an expanded program."

We worked and paid into Social Security and Medicare, and have paid a ton of taxes to the State of Kansas. Our Democrat of a governor opposes people working, as she has her head up the behind of Biden. The tax burden continues to grow as more people do not pay into the system.

I don't know what kind of housing you were looking at, but if it is government subsidized, the state taxpayers may or may not be paying the subsidy, depending on who is providing it.

So, maybe the issue is that you simply do not understand how things work.

Gee, I still can't figure out if you thought the Manhattan you were talking about was in KS or NY.

Again, some of those that advertise apartments have waiting lists, long ones, so check that before getting too far into the process. I would also check crime stats to any place I was considering, especially if I were going to be out walking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: