Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 02:51 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times

Advertisements

I just took a look at Drought Monitor's site to see where the droughts are in the USA and noted most of KS is under exceptional or extreme drought conditions.

How is the public water supply in these areas holding out? Any rationing? Are the aquifers starting to dry up faster than in years past? I know the Ogallala has slowly been drying up for decades but a drought like this must be having an major impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 05:15 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I just took a look at Drought Monitor's site to see where the droughts are in the USA and noted most of KS is under exceptional or extreme drought conditions.

How is the public water supply in these areas holding out? Any rationing? Are the aquifers starting to dry up faster than in years past? I know the Ogallala has slowly been drying up for decades but a drought like this must be having an major impact.
Droughts come and go.

Two years ago, much of the west looked like Kansas today. Record winter rain and snowfall completely changed our world. Two years ago, Kansas was in very good shape and will be again.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:53 AM

374 posts, read 257,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Droughts come and go.

Two years ago, much of the west looked like Kansas today. Record winter rain and snowfall completely changed our world. Two years ago, Kansas was in very good shape and will be again.

The problem is that we currently cannot confirm or deny what weather is awaiting Kansas. There is no way to know. We have more warming trends in the World than cooling trends. Certainly, this cannot be seen as a positive sign.

I would also add that Eastern Kansas and Eastern Nebraska being involved in this situation doesn't look particularly positive.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:22 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
The problem is that we currently cannot confirm or deny what weather is awaiting Kansas. There is no way to know. We have more warming trends in the World than cooling trends. Certainly, this cannot be seen as a positive sign.

I would also add that Eastern Kansas and Eastern Nebraska being involved in this situation doesn't look particularly positive.
Oh mercy....we can't control the weather? Like we could before evil human beings harnessed the energy in petroleum products to vastly improve living standards world-wide?

It is neither positive or negative. It is life....it is nature.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Oh mercy....we can't control the weather? Like we could before evil human beings harnessed the energy in petroleum products to vastly improve living standards world-wide?

It is neither positive or negative. It is life....it is nature.

I never even mentioned political matters, nor did I state whether weather was controllable or not. Your post is very telling.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:06 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
In past years when I viewed the Drought Monitor I noted eastern KS didn't have drought conditions to this extent that often. Always west of a line from Salina to Wichita. But even this seems to be expanded over more square miles than I recall seeing in the past 20 years. Weather is cyclical though but the question is just how long will this extreme dry cycle last?

Old 05-31-2023, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
In past years when I viewed the Drought Monitor I noted eastern KS didn't have drought conditions to this extent that often. Always west of a line from Salina to Wichita. But even this seems to be expanded over more square miles than I recall seeing in the past 20 years. Weather is cyclical though but the question is just how long will this extreme dry cycle last?
Pretty hard to ignore that.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:56 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Meanwhile everything east of KS has been less drought stricken over the last several decades. Those pivots out on the farming plains dumping out water have to change the climate too, but I think that moist air blows east.

We just got out of a triple la nina and the weather generally blows west to east. Here in NM we are catching the evaporation of AZ / CA now, lots of drizzle which is kinda abnormal.

I was surprised that there's not much dead trees in KS when I drove through last Oct. If the drought is dire, you'd think there'd be more dead stuff. Even some fields in west kansas were still green.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:05 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
The long-term trends for most of the Central and High Plains is one of increasing drought due to warmer climate, meaning more evaporation of soil moisture out of the ground overall. So, this can mitigate at or somewhat above average precipitation years. Center pivot irrigation is going away ASAP as it costs $$$$ to drill a new well to find water in a rapidly depleting water table.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:51 PM

134 posts, read 192,279 times
I believe Dust Bowl 2.0 is a definite, if not unavoidable, possibility. There's no way to recharge the Ogalalla Aquifer fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: