Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 06:32 AM

11 posts, read 11,889 times

Advertisements

Try to make it clear with the landlord that you can't tolerate the smell. I would have started looking for other residential options in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 11:52 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Perhaps the Landlord is "cool" and doesn't care. I'm sure if he's been the business long enough he knows potheads when sees them.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:55 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,720 times
That's a bummer. I hate the smell too, but I would never call the cops on someone for that. KS can lock people up for first offense possession. Maybe you can switch units. Ask for a non-smoking building. Seems like landlords would have to provide non-smoking buildings in this day and age. Unless you are staying in a total flop house.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:20 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
what did your neighbor say when you approached them and told them the pot smoke was offensive to you?

and BTW....https://www.ksnt.com/capitol-bureau/...rijuana-bills/

Old 03-11-2023, 08:39 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,353 times
Be smart--move. Forget about your right to not breathe that crap;

But first check out your prospective new home so the problem doesn't happen again.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:10 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Tell the landlord it's a health issue for you. Enough to warrant breaking the lease if there is one and looking for another place to live.

I feel for you. I rented a ground floor place with ONE shared wall and it was a nightmare. One of the things was there was no smoking allowed in the unit, so the guy next door smoked in his bathroom, which was separated by mine by a wall. The smoke smell was overwhelming and awful. I had to keep the door shut and the fan running constantly and I finally ended up washing up in the kitchen.

Landlord didn't give a rap, but I made sure that between the smoking and the kid running thump thump thump from 7am to 2 in the morning, those were the reasons I was out as soon as my 6 month lease was up. That and the parking they didn't enforce.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:19 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
Maybe it`s because I`m old (69) but I don`t know of anyone who still smokes cannabis. I would suggest to the neighbors that they vape it or use edibles.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:15 AM

350 posts, read 195,851 times
Have you spoken to your landlord? It's TOTALLY ILLEGAL including still no medical marijuana for goodness sakes. People think it's so cool to smoke pot now. Maybe he's a pot head too. He must be, if he doesn't realize only other pot heads would rent that place after the current ones vacate - he'll NEVER EVER get the odor out.

I guess the lease doesn't generically say smoke free?

That's disgusting. Just yesterday some guy stunk up an entire Dollar General store with that nasty odor on his clothing. I walked out. He was roaming around looking for canned oysters, of all things.

Lawsuits are expensive, take a long time and constant diligence and determination. You might get some help from a small claims court against the actual neighbor who may be ordered to stop smoking or pay you a fine but that would take some luck. So you'll probably have to move and that's not easy either since it takes a bunch of money to accomplish.

He may let you break the lease if you can move.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:40 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3557 View Post
Neighbors stink building up all day, landlords dont seem to care or wont do anything.
do i have any rights to withhold rent or anything else? happy to hear any opinions or
thoughts on my options
Wouldn't you rather have mellowed out pot smokers as neighbors than loud and rowdy drunks with all their crazy drama? I know I would.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:36 AM

1,601 posts, read 865,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3557 View Post
Neighbors stink building up all day, landlords dont seem to care or wont do anything.
do i have any rights to withhold rent or anything else? happy to hear any opinions or
thoughts on my options

Everyone on this thread has pretty much described the "joys" of apartment living. As someone who has lived in many apartments in the past (even while working nights!) here is my advice:

Price does unfortunately matter. Most of the time, cheap apartments come with thinner walls and less polite neighbors. Beware though of "premium" apartments built on the cheap.

Look for apartment complexes with interior doors to the units and an elevator. Rarer than exterior stair buildings, but more likely to be made out of poured concrete and have superior sound muffling. Also tend to be pricier and to some extent that keeps out the riff raff.

Duplexes can be really good. All in all, I can say my best experiences came when renting a duplex. You're only sharing a wall with one other tenant, and then separation by a yard from adjacent units. Also more spacious with garages and off street parking. If you get along with your neighbor, it's really, really great. It's easier to get to know them too because you see each other coming and going more than in apartments and become more tuned to their habits. Can still have some issues though. During my duplex time I had a careless neighbor with a large dog that periodically was a barking problem. She eventually got evicted and peace was restored after an elderly woman moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas