Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2023, 02:12 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

Anyone that might travel through the state in March/April of each year should be aware of the health advisory concerning the burning of the fields, especially in the Flint Hills, although I have found with the wind, it can travel quite some distance with smoke and other pollutants in the air:

https://jcpost.com/posts/0c896068-b5...6-784357e15f2d

"Prescribed burns release large amounts of particulate matter and other pollutants that can form ozone. Particulate matter and ozone can cause health problems, even in healthy individuals. Common health problems include burning eyes, runny nose, coughing, and illnesses such as bronchitis. Individuals with respiratory issues, pre-existing heart or lung diseases, children and elderly are more vulnerable to experience symptoms."

Even though now we live a distance from the actual burning, we do have others that burn. It irritates one's lungs and eyes for the most part. I grim welcome to spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 02:18 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Another ridiculously wasteful use of resources, it would need far less burning if we had mostly bison on that range land that managed the grasses in a better matter in the Flint Hills, and NOT cattle. Yet another in a long line of reasons to be more vegetarian or vegan overall.

Old 03-02-2023, 01:35 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
“Do Not Drive Into Smoke” - Kansas Turnpike Authority

Old 04-08-2023, 07:43 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Affecting people 100s of miles away. Thanks

Old 04-10-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Affecting people 100s of miles away. Thanks
It's a very stupid practice as it impacts a large geographical area and population, but it won't change until bison take back the area from the cattle. In the near-term in Flint Hills region that seems unlikely as a large percentage of landowners are absentee that live in other areas of the country. What will be happening is the Ogallala Aquifer collapse and near constant levels of drought, due to warming temperatures yielding higher evaporation of soil moisture out of the ground in the High Plains region of Kansas, will reduce the number of cattle over time.

Old 04-10-2023, 03:47 PM

Last week was terrible. Everyone was sick from it, as they were burning out on the edge of town near I-70. I cannot imagine having to take the winding narrow road out to the other areas of the county, as the narrow road allows for very little error.

I don't know why they do it. I have never understood it. It was bad in Emporia too, as they burned that Tallgrass Prairie area every spring just as the weather was finally nice enough to be outside or open the windows. The other day, the wind was really bad blowing toward town, and they were burning away.

My time here grows short as does my patience!

Old 04-10-2023, 04:45 PM

"Every spring, the Flint Hills of Kansas are burned as a management tool to prevent invasion of woody vegetation and promote new growth of native grasses. Burning is a part of the natural ecosystem of the prairie and is essential to maintaining the prairie ecosystem."

"In a typical year, ranchers annually burn thousands of acres of grassland in the Flint Hills to reduce the abundance of undesirable trees and shrubs while promoting nutritionally rich grass for that summer's grazing. Burning in the Flint Hills is typically concentrated in late April."

https://www.thunderheadeng.com/news/...-hills-prairie

Old 04-11-2023, 03:50 PM

I guess that means it will get worse. The only thing is "summer's grazing", as we have driven from Emporia to Junction City thru the backroads, and saw very little grazing of anything. I don't know, making people sick, and some quite sick so a handful of cattle can graze several acres............maybe they can call the allergies COVID and shut down the state again!

Old 04-14-2023, 05:49 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"Every spring, the Flint Hills of Kansas are burned as a management tool to prevent invasion of woody vegetation and promote new growth of native grasses. Burning is a part of the natural ecosystem of the prairie and is essential to maintaining the prairie ecosystem."

"In a typical year, ranchers annually burn thousands of acres of grassland in the Flint Hills to reduce the abundance of undesirable trees and shrubs while promoting nutritionally rich grass for that summer's grazing. Burning in the Flint Hills is typically concentrated in late April."

https://www.thunderheadeng.com/news/...-hills-prairie
Not altogether natural

Old 07-31-2023, 09:17 PM

60 posts, read 75,261 times
If only most of you understand the benefits of burning and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas