Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 06:37 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Kansas doesn't know how to invest in its actual cities, they subsidize and dump massive amounts of spending and corporate welfare into suburban Johnson County, where most of the jobs already are, at the expense of other parts of the state. I don't see this changing much at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 11:53 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas doesn't know how to invest in its actual cities, they subsidize and dump massive amounts of spending and corporate welfare into suburban Johnson County, where most of the jobs already are, at the expense of other parts of the state. I don't see this changing much at all.
Johnson county has to import workers. Most of the residents are rich and they and their kids, don't work regular jobs.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Johnson county has to import workers. Most of the residents are rich and they and their kids, don't work regular jobs.
Kansas put all their economic eggs into the Johnson County basket, they even have massively subsidized retail TIF districts with sales taxes of 10-11%. Cities like Topeka, Wichita, Salina, Hutchinson, have seen very little job growth over longer periods of time.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:40 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Kansas put all their economic eggs into the Johnson County basket, they even have massively subsidized retail TIF districts with sales taxes of 10-11%. Cities like Topeka, Wichita, Salina, Hutchinson, have seen very little job growth over longer periods of time.
At one time, some of the business owners in Johnson county imported workers from downtown KCMO. They ran a bus back and forth. They had to quit because of claims it was racist because they were hiring mainly black kids.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:28 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
I something on Shawnee (in Johnson County) voted to stop co-living:

https://www.businessinsider.com/kans...illegal-2022-5

"Shawnee, Kansas unanimously banned co-living in some zoning districts, targeting unrelated roommates who split the cost of rent."

There are a couple of counties (places not many people would choose to live due to no services, no jobs, etc.) where people carpool in from, many I believe are illegal aliens as they are recruited to the area by a meat production facility, and they can only handle so many.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:36 PM

297 posts, read 244,531 times
Default your observations on Springfield are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Since Topeka is the capital, you would have more security, and probably the educational level would probably be higher there also. I think probably an older population also, so not so many meth heads. Springfield has a poverty rate of 22.9% which is higher than most areas. Median household income is fairly low. I have been in SW MO some years ago, and it does not have the "feel" of Topeka for sure. Topeka is on death row, and Springfield seems to be growing. When we lived in SE KS, a lot of people considered Springfield a great place to vacation.

When Wichita lost most of the aircraft industry, it went downhill very quickly. Often I am looking for info, and end up at their "newspaper" site, and it is always filled with tragic stories, some really extra cruel crimes.

One needs to know what areas to avoid in these bigger cities, as a mistake can be deadly.
from the research I have done. People are still moving there despite the ridiculously high crime rates.
It also has a rep for having some of lowest paying jobs of any city, yet the rents appear to be going up up. The higher education level of Topeka doesn't seem to help, the entire City seems to be inhabited by dead heads. It's so bad they have to try to bribe people to move there. The vacancy rates for rentals is high but the prices are also high. I think maybe part of this is due to the populace being heavily gov't workers but that might just be my prejudice.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:24 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Quote:
Kansas put all their economic eggs into the Johnson County basket
This is true about most states with one major urban center/area: NY, Massachussetts, Georgia, etc.

States with multiple centers are more balanced: Pennsylvania, California, Texas, Florida.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:45 PM

71 posts, read 51,088 times
There are nice places in Topeka and you can walk around and not be a victim of violent crime. I have family that have lived there for years and there has been some positive changes. The NOTO Arts District is impressive given what the area was like 20 years ago. There are a couple of breweries and the downtown area is reviving.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:51 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
I always "hated" Topeka because the oil company in our town used to have an AAU basketball team and a tournament in our town that attracted AAU teams from all over the midwest. Every year a team full of Black guys that were sponsored by a little owned Black owned service station called Hughes Conoco in Topeka would run rough shod over our Conoco Oilers and everybody else in that tournament.

Hughes Conoco's team had nation wide fame in those old AAU basketball circles. They were great.

Mr. Hughes was a native Oklahoman and apparently a great athlete in his own right. He ran his service station in a white part of Topeka during the last years of segregation and on through many years. He is an icon in Topeka. He never missed bringing his team to our tournament and brought a few future NBA players along the way.

The AAU basketball of those days 1960s kind of went away over time. But the State of Kansas put the old Hughes Conoco building (a 1920s vintage building) on the list of historic places

https://www.kshs.org/natreg/natreg_listings/view/1351

Old 07-12-2023, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 433 times
I've always called Topeka the toilet bowl of America. Its one of those places where yes, there are good things and good people. But all too often I find myself actually wondering if there is something in the water

All your typical retail, construction & medical jobs and nothing more. Lots of meth. Nothing open after 9pm. And don't even get me started on the roads and drivers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas