Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 04:56 PM

297 posts, read 244,531 times

Advertisements

Did not know that about the detention facilities. That might explain a lot. It's crime stats are not as bad as other bad cities it's size and Springfield, MO has a significantly higher rate of crime and assaults yet people are still moving there, but NOT moving to Topeka. A lot of ex imates would explain a lot about Topeka I am thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 03:42 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP, have you looked at cities like Wichita, Cedar Rapids or Toledo?

Old 12-14-2022, 09:48 PM

Default not sure I understand your question?

looked at them for what exactly?

Old 12-15-2022, 11:04 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
looked at them for what exactly?
I guessing that member may wonder if you are looking for a place to move to.

Also, it is not so much that there is "hate" for Topeka, they simply avoid it. I don't "hate" snakes, but I avoid them.

I guess the thing is why would anyone consider moving there with the reputation that it has for crime:

https://www.ksnt.com/news/how-safe-d...ink-topeka-is/

"Topeka has the unfortunate privilege of having one of the highest violent crime rates in the U.S. when compared to communities both large and small. Annually, Topeka sees around 888 violent crimes, making your chances of falling victim to violent crimes, such as rape, murder and armed robbery, about one in 143. This is higher than the average for the state of Kansas which sits at one in 237."

I mean, that doesn't exactly "sell it"! Gosh, there have been crime issues there forever. I remember 30 some years ago, we decided not to visit there anymore due to the criminal activity we saw on the news. I guess if one knows the area well, and knows where to avoid, it would help. Last we were there, they had security in the store parking lots, and this was not the downtown area, but the outskirt area.

All lower priced homes are NOT in desirable locations.

Old 12-16-2022, 05:43 PM

406 posts, read 340,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
If you just really need a cheap place to live, it's hard to do better than Topeka. My dad lived there for a few years after he got divorced and was down on his luck. I think that's probably a common story. People live there because they are "down on their luck" and can't afford to live any place better. It's rife with low-income people who have drug problems or gambling problems or mental health issues or who are stuck on the welfare marry-go-round with too many kids.

In general, it's a depressing place filled with depressing people.
I didn't know Topeka was that bad. I wonder if it is worse than the Wichita area.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,610 posts, read 17,935,039 times
I guess I'm the only person in this thread who was blown away by Topeka, when I stayed one night traveling from Texas to South Dakota a few years ago. What a charming little town! ZERO traffic, plenty of parking spots on a business day in front of the Courthouse, stunning high school. Really nice place to walk around town and enjoy the atmosphere.

Maybe it's better if you just stay one night? Either way, I was impressed.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:37 AM

Default by "hate" I meant why

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I guessing that member may wonder if you are looking for a place to move to.

Also, it is not so much that there is "hate" for Topeka, they simply avoid it. I don't "hate" snakes, but I avoid them.

I guess the thing is why would anyone consider moving there with the reputation that it has for crime:

https://www.ksnt.com/news/how-safe-d...ink-topeka-is/

"Topeka has the unfortunate privilege of having one of the highest violent crime rates in the U.S. when compared to communities both large and small. Annually, Topeka sees around 888 violent crimes, making your chances of falling victim to violent crimes, such as rape, murder and armed robbery, about one in 143. This is higher than the average for the state of Kansas which sits at one in 237."

I mean, that doesn't exactly "sell it"! Gosh, there have been crime issues there forever. I remember 30 some years ago, we decided not to visit there anymore due to the criminal activity we saw on the news. I guess if one knows the area well, and knows where to avoid, it would help. Last we were there, they had security in the store parking lots, and this was not the downtown area, but the outskirt area.

All lower priced homes are NOT in desirable locations.
do so many people post negative things about Topeka. Hate is maybe not the right word.
Take a look at city-data stats for Springfield , Mo assault rates, Much higher than Topeka.
Off the charts actually.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:40 AM

Default having worked in a large company's factory, in a factory town,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
I didn't know Topeka was that bad. I wonder if it is worse than the Wichita area.
I'd have to say Witchita is a factory town with all the bad connotations on those that are factory workers. Might be true, might not. But the time I passed through Wichita, I got that feeling form the superficial interactions I had there. Another friend told me: Don't go there, "it's a rough town". I think he's right.

Old 12-18-2022, 02:49 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
do so many people post negative things about Topeka. Hate is maybe not the right word.
Take a look at city-data stats for Springfield , Mo assault rates, Much higher than Topeka.
Off the charts actually.
Since Topeka is the capital, you would have more security, and probably the educational level would probably be higher there also. I think probably an older population also, so not so many meth heads. Springfield has a poverty rate of 22.9% which is higher than most areas. Median household income is fairly low. I have been in SW MO some years ago, and it does not have the "feel" of Topeka for sure. Topeka is on death row, and Springfield seems to be growing. When we lived in SE KS, a lot of people considered Springfield a great place to vacation.

Quote:
I'd have to say Witchita is a factory town with all the bad connotations on those that are factory workers. Might be true, might not. But the time I passed through Wichita, I got that feeling form the superficial interactions I had there. Another friend told me: Don't go there, "it's a rough town". I think he's right.
When Wichita lost most of the aircraft industry, it went downhill very quickly. Often I am looking for info, and end up at their "newspaper" site, and it is always filled with tragic stories, some really extra cruel crimes.

One needs to know what areas to avoid in these bigger cities, as a mistake can be deadly.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:49 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Maybe because of the street gangs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas