Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 11:48 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Its about humidty. Does Kansas get humid along with the heat? It is not near any large bodies of water.
Ah, I had wondered the same thing.

https://www.microblife.in/why-is-kansas-so-humid/ That will give you all the info you need. I have lived in the AZ desert, so know dry, and MS, so know humidity.

What is annoying is at night, the humidity goes generally goes high, and without a breeze, it is not good.

We have been horrible wind gusts here. About 2 weeks ago, I think, the gusts were 40 to 51 mph, and it blew through the nights. It actually forces the heat into any crevice when it blows like that.

It is my belief that being surrounded by wind turbine farms, with wind turbines going hundreds of feet into the atmosphere, that it upsets the upper atmosphere. I have seen wind gusts as high as 90 mph, more than we experienced in a hurricane we were in. So, getting a lot of wind damage in our area.

Most of KS is in a drought most of the time anymore.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Its about humidty. Does Kansas get humid along with the heat? It is not near any large bodies of water.
As you move east to west in Kansas, the humidity goes way down for the most part. In eastern Kansas where the majority of the population lives, the humidity can vary from very oppressive to elevated due to low level moisture that moves northward from the Gulf of Mexico, and then stagnates under high pressure ridges during the summer months.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:22 PM

Wind!

https://www.weather.gov/eax/December15HighWinds

"Non-convective winds both ahead and behind the thunderstorms were quite strong. Several locations around the area reported wind gusts above 50 MPH with Lees Summit peaking at 53 MPH, St. Joseph reached 52 MPH, and Johnson County Executive Airport in Olathe, KS reached 60 MPH. Once the line of storms arrived, several areas reported winds in excess of 75 MPH. The Kansas City Downtown Airport reached a peak gust of 77MPH."

Also, most homes are not energy efficient, and see very high electric/gas bills, as seriously the wind in winter or summer is an issue. One can ask for a "history" of the bills when considering purchasing a home, and even though it won't be the same, it can give one some idea.

I read the heat this year has killed a lot of cattle, so if you eat beef...........

My husband is from KS, born and raised here, and says the weather has changed drastically. The same goes for most places now, if not all. I do remember though that in the 80s when we tried to camp at the lake in a pop-up, we had to return home during the day because of the heat. The four seasons of KS: Hot, Rain, Cold, Rain as it seems every time there is going to be a decent temperature, it rains.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:56 AM

461 posts, read 545,749 times
Quote:
There's a humidity line running through Kansas/Nebraska. Western Kansas has the same low humidity as Eastern Colorado. Eastern Kansas is really humid. I've never heard anyone talk about humidity in the Dakotas but it must be the same.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
There's a humidity line running through Kansas/Nebraska. Western Kansas has the same low humidity as Eastern Colorado. Eastern Kansas is really humid. I've never heard anyone talk about humidity in the Dakotas but it must be the same.
The Dakotas can see extreme heat and humidity as well, but the duration is often shorter with more frequent cool fronts in the summer. The state record high temperature in North Dakota is still over 120F.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:59 PM

So, yesterday it got up to 104 degrees with a "real feel" (adding humidity) of 112 degrees. They had predicted 106 today, and changed it to 110 and that doesn't include the "real feel". We have 103 about 2:00 PM with a real-feel of 110. Last night I checked the temp at 2:00 AM and it was 88 degrees. The low was 80 degrees at about 6:00 AM. The humidity goes up a lot during the night, and we had fog this morning.

The other day, I checked the Tucson, AZ area, and it was cooler there than here, as were the other places I checked. At least in AZ, the winters were nice. Here we see more below freezing temps in the winter, and worse winds.

I cannot help but think this has to do with the wind turbine farms that surround us on 3 sides. Hundreds of them! It disturbs the atmosphere. I have read a lot about the wind turbine farms. In most of the counties, the citizens opposed it, but the county commissioners saw $$$$$$ and what the citizens wanted made no difference.

So, all we can do is stay inside and keep making sure there is water in the bird bath (community watering hole) and put some extra food out, so birds, squirrels, etc. do not have to do a lot of hunting.

This is great climate for anyone that wants to just veg out in front of the TV as their "recreation", yeah, that isn't me.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 08-21-2023 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-22-2023, 05:38 AM

As far as humidity, this morning at 6:00 AM it is 79 degrees with 88% humidity. The humidity always runs high through the night and in the morning, even though we are really behind on rain. I did some checking and apparently it has something to do with the grasses/crops/etc. holding and releasing moisture.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:00 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
As far as humidity, this morning at 6:00 AM it is 79 degrees with 88% humidity. The humidity always runs high through the night and in the morning, even though we are really behind on rain. I did some checking and apparently it has something to do with the grasses/crops/etc. holding and releasing moisture.
I feel your pain. I've been looking at your heat index numbers for the last few days - yours and those throughout the central plains. Just brutal and unlivable, bringing back now distant memories of my living there '76 - '90. Omaha is brutal as well and I spent 4 1/2 years there a few years prior.

My desperation to put some big distance between me and this Bay Area grows every day. There are some nice aspects to living in the heartland, but that oppressive heat just puts it out of the question.

I'm starting to get serious about going back to upstate New York, from whence I came 50 years ago. I'm seeing senior housing opportunities online that I was unaware of and, with the life quality bonuses....and wonderfully cool summers....throughout that area, I'm at a loss to really understand why I didn't get serious about it 20 years ago....before I got so damn old . There's a multitude of reasons, of course, but in hindsight they don't seem as valid or significant as they did at the time.

At least you know that you'll be in your nicest time of the year about 7 weeks from now. Best of luck and hang in there.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:46 AM

Actually, along with the summers being hotter, the winter seems to come earlier now. Thirty years ago here, we got a lot of snow, now cold winds and sometimes freezing rain. I see the squirrels getting ready for winter, and also the birds that migrate south have already arrived.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:42 AM

60 posts, read 75,160 times
Meh.

Typically kansas weather. Bipolar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas