Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 07:51 PM

71 posts, read 51,067 times

Advertisements

Shawn Colvin sings a song called “Wichita Skyline”, which is a very good song except for mispronouncing Salina as Sa-Lena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 AM

203 posts, read 165,215 times
For weeks this has been the most active thread for this state. Driving through... really. Seems kind of offensive. Works right into the stereotype. Kansans, don’t you have more interesting/pressing things to discuss about your state? Other states seem to find those no problem.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:29 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
For weeks this has been the most active thread for this state. Driving through... really. Seems kind of offensive. Works right into the stereotype. Kansans, don’t you have more interesting/pressing things to discuss about your state? Other states seem to find those no problem.

Funny you should mention this point. I've thought the exact same thing for a while now but didn't say anything (didn't want to offend). I'm sure there are more interesting, meaningful, enlivening, enlightening, and pressing matters to discuss than to stay eternally fixated on "A song I listen to while driving through Kansas" (being THE most active thread in the "Kansas" state forum for a long stretch of weeks now, over and beyond every other possible thread in the "Kansas" forum). It doesn't at all "offend" me; it is just a bit amusing that it is THE most active therad in the Kansas fofurm for a long long while now. It sort of promotes the stereotype (the notion) that states such as Kansas are, in the minds of some, nothing more than "flyover country".

I personally don't think that about Kansas. While not a Kansas native (I originate from the East Coast of the U.S.), I've been to and through Kansas a number of times and have stayed for variable stretches of time in Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka, Manhattan, Wichita, Salina, and Hays. Kansas DOES has more to commend it than "what song do I feel inclined to listen to when I drive through Kansas".

But whatever. It is really not important to me at all; perhaps just a bit curious and amusing. Discuss this topic all you want! I had made one posting to this thread a good while back myself (posting # 15 submitted on 5/3/2019, where the song I thought of is "Wichita Lineman" as performed by Glen Campbell).

Old 11-07-2019, 12:00 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
The Kansas board never has been very active. But this is a fun and interesting topic to me. Especially for those of us who are from neighboring states and have taken long trips to and through Kansas. There is something kind of romantic about wide open spaces and long distance driving.

May be a great plains type of thing though.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:16 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I find this thread interesting and I am originally from the state of Washington. My wife and I and our two rescue cats and Chow Chow and Pomeranian dogs did live in Dodge City for a year, leaving in August of 2016. I worked in Lenexa, KS, after that while we relocated to Grandview, MO.

I did not think of Kansas as boring nor dreary - we even got to dodge a tornado of decent size while living in Dodge City (the tornado was in May of 2016).

I like music and make it an integral part of my life and perhaps that's why I enjoy this thread.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:08 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Maybe this song in tribute to posters that can no longer post here or recall that they once did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k_ZRyws8Uc

Old 11-26-2019, 01:27 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The Kansas board never has been very active. But this is a fun and interesting topic to me. Especially for those of us who are from neighboring states and have taken long trips to and through Kansas. There is something kind of romantic about wide open spaces and long distance driving.

May be a great plains type of thing though.

Turn it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXqD4gCqBwA

Old 11-26-2019, 08:02 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
My favorite Janis Joplin song - a true classic and a great one to listen to whilst driving through Kansas.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:12 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Dedicated to some of the small Kansas towns, off the main beaten path, so to speak. I have never been to Kansas. I would absolutely love to visit. I would bring my camera. I would camp out in a park somewhere. If I could I would stay for a whole week. Both my wife and I think it would be beautiful, to visit in the harvest season or the fall time. We live in Northern Eastern Minnesota next to Lake Superior.

IF we ever drove to Kansas, we would swing off the beaten path, it is where all the good parts are.

Here is to your Hometown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKIZBqzO31Y

Old 11-26-2019, 09:58 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Dedicated to some of the small Kansas towns, off the main beaten path, so to speak. I have never been to Kansas. I would absolutely love to visit. I would bring my camera. I would camp out in a park somewhere. If I could I would stay for a whole week. Both my wife and I think it would be beautiful, to visit in the harvest season or the fall time. We live in Northern Eastern Minnesota next to Lake Superior.

IF we ever drove to Kansas, we would swing off the beaten path, it is where all the good parts are.

Here is to your Hometown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKIZBqzO31Y
If you ever drive through Kansas, drive through the sunflower fields and watch those things follow the sun. It's pretty amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas