Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
What is the significance of "all planted". Thanks.
Most suburban areas of Johnson County occupied previously agricultural areas or tall grass prairie. The tree cover is much more expansive in the area as the result of mostly deciduous trees planted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM

46 posts, read 71,084 times
Generally the further east you go in Kansas the more trees there are. Lawrence area is really pretty by Kansas standards. There won't be as many trees as Illinois but a lot more than people generally expect when they think of Kansas.

If you are looking for a smaller city, Lawrence and Manhattan are great choices. Manhattan is a little more isolated but a nice place. Lawrence is only about 30-40 minutes to KC so there are a lot more people in the general area. I'd look at Lawrence and Manhattan but would skip Topeka. I'd even look around KC. You can live in a very country area and still be pretty close to all that KC offers.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:17 AM

404 posts, read 456,755 times
I thought I saw a tree near Overland Park once. There might be a couple near Lawrence too.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:44 AM

396 posts, read 998,299 times

Here's a couple of aerial images of eastern Kansas. The first is near Leavenworth the second in Douglass County.

edit: photos aren't working, I'll come back later and fix

Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I thought I saw a tree near Overland Park once. There might be a couple near Lawrence too.
Lee Blvd in Leawood has very good tree coverage, feels much more like the eastern US, dramatically different than SW JOCO that has not been radically modified to a suburban built environment.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:36 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Although there are large amounts of farmland and pastureland, particularly in the river valleys, rural, eastern Kansas also has massive, expansive areas of hardwood trees/timber and the undergrowth is very thick. The Manhattan area is less so on trees and they moreso follow the draws and rivers. Trees are more invasive in the eastern part in Douglas, Jefferson, Leavenworth and many other eastern counties north and south. The Big Bluestem in the Flint Hills is more prevalent around Manhattan. Little Bluestem is more prevalent in the eastern part of the state.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:49 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Somewhere I have old transcripts of letters from a young man crossing Kansas in 1832. He traveled from Alton Illinois to California to teach and he writes that he didn't see a single tree until he got across the Colorado border. This is a little before the California Trail or the Mormon Trail but either way he would have at least crossed through eastern Kansas.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:58 PM

16 posts, read 35,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Somewhere I have old transcripts of letters from a young man crossing Kansas in 1832. He traveled from Alton Illinois to California to teach and he writes that he didn't see a single tree until he got across the Colorado border. This is a little before the California Trail or the Mormon Trail but either way he would have at least crossed through eastern Kansas.
That seems to be true about a lot of the state back then, before settlers changed the landscape. Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about travelling through endless expanses of treeless grass in Southeastern Kansas. That part of the state is now partially forested- the kind of landscape OP is looking for, but no real cities there.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
I live in NE Kansas, and the area near me has a lot of trees. In fact I planted a lot on my land, as I love trees. Parts have the most trees along rivers and creeks, but that differs depending on the county you live in.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I got news for that young man............He might not have seen any trees in Kansas but he damn sure didn't see any in eastern Colorado either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas