Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 03:46 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,191 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning to cook a dinner dish for my friends who are, in their own words, "Mildly kosher," meaning no pork, no shellfish, and no meat and milk together. The recipe I'd like to prepare (honey sesame chicken) contains chicken, eggs, and honey. I assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) all the other ingredients -- tamari sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, ketchup, brown sugar, cornstarch, pepper, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic, onions, and rice are okay -- but I don't know if the combination of chicken, eggs, and honey are kosher. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 05:21 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,415 times
Yes, those 3 are kosher
But
Chicken, to be kosher, must be slaughtered and prepared according to Jewish law. Eggs must also be checked for blood spots.

If your guests are only worried about meat and milk then those are fine.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Yes, those 3 are kosher
But
Chicken, to be kosher, must be slaughtered and prepared according to Jewish law. Eggs must also be checked for blood spots.

If your guests are only worried about meat and milk then those are fine.
Yes. my friends would be concerned only about meat and milk together. I wasn't sure if chicken (parent) and egg (child) would be equivalent to meat and milk. And I wasn't sure about honey, with or without the other ingredients. Thank you for letting me know!

Old 06-01-2022, 11:01 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
A nice Jewish boy wrote a song called "Mother and Child Reunion" after having a chicken-and-egg dish of that name at a Chinese restaurant.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:17 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
The title of the Paul Simon song was from the name of an item me saw on a menu.

However the song lyrics were inspired by a pet dog that was run over and killed.
(1972 Rolling Stone article)

“Last summer we had a dog that was run over and killed, and we loved this dog. It was the first death I had ever experienced personally.
Nobody in my family died that I felt that. But I felt this loss — one minute there, next minute gone, and then my first thought was, ‘Oh, man, what if that was [my wife] Peggy? What if somebody like that died? Death, what is it, I can’t get it.’ And there were lyrics straight out forward like that: “I can’t for the life of me remember a sadder day. I just can’t believe its so.†Those are the lyrics. Somehow there was a connection between this death and Peggy and it was I don’t know what the connection was. Some emotional connection. It didn’t matter to me what it was. I just knew it was there."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_and_Child_Reunion
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...view-2-231656/

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-01-2022 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-01-2022, 11:37 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
And yes Paul Simon's father grew up in home where Yiddish was spoken, and his grandfather a tailor immigrated from Galicia to New York in 1903 at age 15. Although Paul Simon's father worked as a musician, his family urged him to study law. "His parents nicknamed him “Cardozo,†after Benjamin Cardozo, the second Jewish Supreme Court justice (Louis Brandeis was the first). Law school was their dream for young Paul, and even toward the end of the 1960s, when Simon & Garfunkel rivaled the Beatles in popularity and sales, his father still said to him, “Is that all you want? To be a rock star? Teach! Teach!… That’s the only important thing.â€

https://forward.com/culture/351876/p...t-jewish-life/

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-01-2022 at 11:59 PM..

Old 06-02-2022, 09:09 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A nice Jewish boy wrote a song called "Mother and Child Reunion" after having a chicken-and-egg dish of that name at a Chinese restaurant.
I see the irony in that menu item's title that you mentioned, MQ. I can also see why the OP had hesitation and questions about a dish containing chicken ("mother") and egg ("child") together, when Torah tells us "you shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk" (the source of our dietary law against mixing meat with dairy).

Some have said that this law is based on the presumption that cooking a baby goat in its mother's milk is an act of insensitivity and cruelty and, if that were the case, then cooking chicken and eggs together would seem to be equally insensitive.

But I have read from other rabbis that the prohibition against boiling a baby goat in its mother's milk was actually due to an aversion to an ancient pagan fertility rite which encompassed this very thing. And thus we separate meat from dairy to this day. We do this obviously because Torah commands us to, but there is also historical evidence that the mixing of meat and dairy was a practice of pagan peoples. Our prohibition against this practice enabled the separation of the Jewish people from other peoples -- for if Jews did not join with Gentiles in their feasts and other celebrations, then Jews would be less likely to become assimilated by other cultures.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:53 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I had read the story of the childhood pet dog that inspired the lyrics, too, but I got a kick out of the Chinese menu item for the title. I am a Paul Simon fan.

I too always thought mixing eggs and chicken was weird, but I am not Jewish and it had nothing to do with religion. Just seemed odd, and I'm probably not the only one. You don't see chicken omelets offered on diner menus.

Interesting about some of the dietary rules having to do, in part, with keeping separate from the surrounding people. That was always what my non-Jewish father told us was the reason for a lot of the dietary and other rules in Judaism, to keep the nation separate by not taking on the practices of other tribes in the area, particularly upon entering the Promised Land after the Exodus and the years in the desert.

But I do understand that at the heart of it for a Jew, it's because Torah says so.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I see the irony in that menu item's title that you mentioned, MQ. I can also see why the OP had hesitation and questions about a dish containing chicken ("mother") and egg ("child") together, when Torah tells us "you shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk" (the source of our dietary law against mixing meat with dairy).

Some have said that this law is based on the presumption that cooking a baby goat in its mother's milk is an act of insensitivity and cruelty and, if that were the case, then cooking chicken and eggs together would seem to be equally insensitive.

But I have read from other rabbis that the prohibition against boiling a baby goat in its mother's milk was actually due to an aversion to an ancient pagan fertility rite which encompassed this very thing. And thus we separate meat from dairy to this day. We do this obviously because Torah commands us to, but there is also historical evidence that the mixing of meat and dairy was a practice of pagan peoples. Our prohibition against this practice enabled the separation of the Jewish people from other peoples -- for if Jews did not join with Gentiles in their feasts and other celebrations, then Jews would be less likely to become assimilated by other cultures.
Nice post and very informative, thanks.

Do you think perhaps both reasons -- insensitivity/cruelty *and* pagan peoples' practice -- are why this custom came about? Or just the latter reason?

I was interested in the kosher aspect of honey, because I didn't know if bees, who make the honey, are themselves considered unkosher. And, if they are unkosher, how can their product (honey) be considered kosher?

Interesting!

Old 06-02-2022, 03:11 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post

I was interested in the kosher aspect of honey, because I didn't know if bees, who make the honey, are themselves considered unkosher. And, if they are unkosher, how can their product (honey) be considered kosher?
that is an essential and insightful question

the underlying legal principle is that something that comes from a non-Kosher animal is not Kosher. So why the exception here? Basically because the biblical text explicitly permits honey

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ney-Kosher.htm

https://www.star-k.org/articles/kash...her%20honeybee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism