Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 08:03 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotusa View Post
The county is the crime capital of Florida, and 70% of violent crimes are committed by Blacks, and yet they are only about 20% of Jacksonville.

Property values are going down, and the local sheriff's office is way under-matched for the amount of crime.

There is a large amount of wonderful Black folks here, and they hate it, too, especially those who own homes.

Ok here is the population of African Americans in Jacksonville:

30.0% 30.1% 29.0%
2020 2010 2000

Seems like 30% average since 2000. In 2020 that represented 284,000 people. I couldn't find where 70% of those violent crimes were committed by blacks. Got a source/link for that?

White Population has been dwindling for 50+ years

White (non-Hispanic) 47.8% 55.1% 62.2% 70.3% 75.8%
............................. 2020 2010 2000 1990 1970

Could be "white flight" or could just be math. Did big corporations leave Jax causing their mostly white management to relocate? Are whites having less children than blacks over the decades? Did the census stop counting the military personnel as Jax residents? Are the white folks just dying off and their kids moved out of the area for better jobs? Are the whites retiring further south in the Villages type communities? White population has dropped 28% over 50 years and it seems pretty consistent. If it dropped 28% in 10 yrs then I'd consider that white flight.

The math doesn't always support the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 09:02 AM

194 posts, read 152,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok here is the population of African Americans in Jacksonville:

30.0% 30.1% 29.0%
2020 2010 2000

Seems like 30% average since 2000. In 2020 that represented 284,000 people. I couldn't find where 70% of those violent crimes were committed by blacks. Got a source/link for that?

White Population has been dwindling for 50+ years

White (non-Hispanic) 47.8% 55.1% 62.2% 70.3% 75.8%
............................. 2020 2010 2000 1990 1970

Could be "white flight" or could just be math. Did big corporations leave Jax causing their mostly white management to relocate? Are whites having less children than blacks over the decades? Did the census stop counting the military personnel as Jax residents? Are the white folks just dying off and their kids moved out of the area for better jobs? Are the whites retiring further south in the Villages type communities? White population has dropped 28% over 50 years and it seems pretty consistent. If it dropped 28% in 10 yrs then I'd consider that white flight.

The math doesn't always support the hype.
Interesting post, I would say that I have noticed more black families around the southside, Tinseltown area the past year or so. Not sure what to think. It could be a combination of your above statements causing this. I noticed more Hispanics these days too.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:09 PM

238 posts, read 129,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
So if you don't like it there, move away.
Why can't we just move the criminals away, like to a jail cell, 6 feet underground, or deported back to less civilized lands?

Why is it that good people should continually be chased out of an area? Cities should be centers of innovation and culture that people want to flock to. Instead, in the USA especially, they are often bastions of crime and dysfunction.

And for all you Yale and Dartmouth graduates out there, know this: poverty and decay do not cause crime, but crime will surely cause decay and poverty. Get your cause and effect straight.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:38 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
The trend out of Jax is likely due to the explosion of new housing in St Johns, Nassau and even Clay counties. People want nice/newer homes in good school districts and SJC fits that bill.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Why can't we just move the criminals away, like to a jail cell, 6 feet underground, or deported back to less civilized lands?

Why is it that good people should continually be chased out of an area? Cities should be centers of innovation and culture that people want to flock to. Instead, in the USA especially, they are often bastions of crime and dysfunction.

And for all you Yale and Dartmouth graduates out there, know this: poverty and decay do not cause crime, but crime will surely cause decay and poverty. Get your cause and effect straight.
Criminals are put in jail when they are arrested. And nobody is "chasing" people away from their homes. Not sure where this all comes from but I suspect I know.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:10 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
The trend out of Jax is likely due to the explosion of new housing in St Johns, Nassau and even Clay counties. People want nice/newer homes in good school districts and SJC fits that bill.
Actually I just read in 2024 Nassau County unseated St Johns County for top school district in the state, which was probably bound to happen with the explosive growth and diversification in SJC.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually I just read in 2024 Nassau County unseated St Johns County for top school district in the state, which was probably bound to happen with the explosive growth and diversification in SJC.
Yes, it was a matter of time before that happened. Which is fine w/me, maybe that will slow down the growth a bit here.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:38 PM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
So if you don't like it there, move away.
That is his point!

Old 04-04-2024, 01:05 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
My family "White-flighted" out of: (in chrono order) Brooklyn, Detroit, St. Louis, & most recently Atlanta.

I lived it over and over again, like the movie Groundhog Day.

I've never lived in Jax, but it appears White flight has been occuring there for at least 45 yrs., according to the stats posted by CityGuy997S (post #11).

No one person can fight it, so its best to just leave. I realize how disppointing & troubling it is. Save yourself the agony & stress, & start making the plans today. It's better to be an early flier, than a late flier due to declining property values.

Here's a tip...don't move from the city to the inner suburbs, because in a matter of a few years, you'll be moving again. As the criminal-heavy population multiplies, they radiate outwards from the urban core.

If you want to stay near Jax, go straight to the outer suburbs, or even the exburbs...as far out as you can live w/ the commute to work.

Once you get to your new place, you'll be wishing you had moved sooner. Hopefully, you don't have kids in Middle, or High school...that makes it even harder to move. When we White-flighted out of St. Louis, I went off to college, my Brother went into the military, & my Sister ran away from home. Our family never recovered.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:05 PM

16,545 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
There is some validity in your perspective, as according to research I have become aware of in recent years, St. Johns county has the number 1 rated public school district. That will attract FL citizens across the state (and nation looking to relocate) regardless of ethnic backgrounds. All parents be they black, brown, red, white, or yellow will move to places their kids will get the best education, in a safe environment.

Quote:
Criminals are put in jail when they are arrested. And nobody is "chasing" people away from their homes. Not sure where this all comes from but I suspect I know.
Any law-abiding citizen of any stripe will want to know their families and their selves will be safe trying to live and getting from point A to B.
I have personally seen this in rough sections of LA where the homeowners in Compton and Watts surrounding a prestigious private university like USC, are much more worried that those in the surrounding areas of the public university of UCLA, which is near Bel Air and Beverly Hills.
Rest assured "law abiding flight" of those affluent enough to flee a decaying environment, will seek out what any human being would, safety, tranquility, good schools, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville