Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 07:37 AM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by havronL View Post
You are correct on the Phoenix name -- the original burnt down and they called the new one "The Phoenix" as it arose from the ashes. My mom was a bookkeeper for Century 21 apartments and I started sweeping stairwells there when I was 15 and then I moved to cleaning the pools. We moved to the apartments after I graduated high school and I frequented the Phoenix a lot. Fond memories

Yes I went to the Phoenix in Century 21. We'd go there after dinner at Campeche Bay across the street that wound through that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 08:52 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
We have only been here since the mid 80’s but we remember when Arlington Expressway had Steak and Ale, Chi Chi’s, Red Lobster and they were all thriving. Regency was so vibrant. I remember Service Merchandise, Phram More (spelling), Outback and Carrabas sharing the same plaza. We loved going to Morrisons and Picadilly also.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 03-26-2024 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-26-2024, 09:34 AM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times
Well, thankfully The Sheik is still there serving their delicious Camel Riders which I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

Good old Montgomery Ward in the mall as well. And Strawberry Fields was the first place I ever got a credit card LOL

Old Today, 08:53 PM

7 posts
I remember the Tars mid 1950's. Around that time, they were the Braves and in what was called the Sally league.. It was triple A and they played at Durkey Field Myrtle Ave and 8th street. In 1953, Hank Aaron played for them and my brother took me to the game. Aaron got the game winning hit bottom of the ninth.
JU oh yeah! They were the 1st college team to average over 100 points a game with, no time clock, no 3 point line, and no dunking. Artis Gilmore, Rex Morgan, Vaugh Wedeking, Greg Nelson, Pembrook Burrows, Chip Dublin, Rod Mcintyre, Mike Blevins, Rusty Baldwin, Dan Hawkins, Curtis Kruer, Ken Selke. Coach Joe Williams. What I have read over the years is that Coach Williams was told when they arrived that they were not going to be allowed to win the game.

Old Today, 09:17 PM

7 posts
From 1963 to 1969 the thing to do was cruise Main Street. You started at the Krystal at 10th and main, went north to Al's drive in, just before Jackson high, then Baileys across from Jackson. Back to Krystal. You parked a while and socialized. You would see every hot car and pretty girl any night you went. Some bad ass cars would argue then a bunch would go to Faye road in Oceanway and drag race. Eventually, around the early 70's. they stopped all the parking at all three places and killed the fun and it all went away.

Old Today, 09:24 PM

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy1977 View Post
Does anyone remember the Ramada Inn on jax beach? Was there in 1976 working on the USS Adams at Mayport. Or has my memory finally failed me.
I played in the band at the Ramada Inn at Jax Beach from 1973 to 1979 "Del and the new Way" was the band name. I played Keyboards.

Old Today, 09:28 PM

7 posts
I was in the band at Ramada 1973 to 1979.

Old Today, 09:36 PM

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy1977 View Post
Does anyone remember the lounge at the Ramada on beach? Was there working on the USS ADAMS at Mayport, June 1976. Loved the lounge, lots of good music and dancing, met a wonderful girl named Joan, had a blast, had to leave and never made it back, never stopped thinking of my time in Jax.
I was in the Band there in the 70's

Old Today, 09:38 PM

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank4388 View Post
I was in the Band there in the 70's
The band was Del and the New Way, I played keyboards. Best gig ever 1973 to 1979.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville