Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 06:25 PM

652 posts, read 680,352 times

Advertisements

I been having internet disconnection problem for a while now. I called my internet provider and they tried to fix it over the phone. That didn't work. So, I called them again and they sent someone out and they decided to replace the router. However, I'm still here with my internet disconnecting on me. Maybe, I need to go with a different internet provider. Maybe, someone can help me before I take that next step. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 07:03 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Internet service or wifi? i.e., do you have internet on hardwired devices but not over wifi?

Old 04-08-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Internet service or wifi? i.e., do you have internet on hardwired devices but not over wifi?
I have my PC connected to the router by ethernet cable. The other two devices is connected by wifi. My internet service is Ziply Fiber.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:16 PM

268 posts, read 56,748 times
Is it a one-off problem about your house only, or is it a zonal problem that encompasses your neighbors as well?

Old 04-08-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Is it a one-off problem about your house only, or is it a zonal problem that encompasses your neighbors as well?
I live in a apartment and it seems to be only me with the problem.

Old 04-09-2024, 04:52 AM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
Some questions:
- What are the devices? PC model, etc?
- Have you rebooted the PC recently?
- Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?
- When the PC disconnects, does it still *appear* to be connected (Ethernet / network connection icon stays lit), or does it seem as if the Ethernet cable has been unplugged (icon goes out)?
- What is the router model number?
- When they replaced the router, do you know if they checked the ONT? (Optical Network Terminal - It's the interface between their fiber connection and the router). Any idea if they checked the Ethernet connection between the ONT and router?
- Have you used their app? If so, does it provide any status information when you PC disconnects?
- there a second port on the router you can plug the PC into?
- Do the other devices stay connected to WiFi?

Old 04-09-2024, 10:10 AM

Some questions:
- What are the devices? PC model, etc? Tablet, cell phone and PC
- Have you rebooted the PC recently? No
- Have you tried a different Ethernet cable? I bought a new ethernet cable and it will be here soon.
- When the PC disconnects, does it still *appear* to be connected (Ethernet / network connection icon stays lit), or does it seem as if the Ethernet cable has been unplugged (icon goes out)? yes, the ethernet icon goes out!
- What is the router model number? S/N: MH2140KM0330
- When they replaced the router, do you know if they checked the ONT? (Optical Network Terminal - It's the interface between their fiber connection and the router). Any idea if they checked the Ethernet connection between the ONT and router? I have no idea!
- Have you used their app? If so, does it provide any status information when you PC disconnects? No, I haven't used their app.
- there a second port on the router you can plug the PC into? I'm sure there is more ports
- Do the other devices stay connected to WiFi? I haven't paid any attention to my other devices

Old 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Pay attention to the tablet and phone (devices connected via wifi) the next time the PC loses ethernet connectivity.
You might want to try to connect the PC via wifi and see if it stays connected.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Pay attention to the tablet and phone (devices connected via wifi) the next time the PC loses ethernet connectivity.
You might want to try to connect the PC via wifi and see if it stays connected.
Okay, I lost internet connection on my PC. I took a look at my cell phone and it lost connection to the wifi. So, I'm losing internet connection on all devices.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:22 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
Okay, I lost internet connection on my PC. I took a look at my cell phone and it lost connection to the wifi. So, I'm losing internet connection on all devices.
Now you know, the problem is anything from the router back to the ISP.
Does the router look like it is running as usual, with the same LEDs lit, etc.?
You could also open the Command Line window as Admin (Windows key + R then type CMD but before pressing OK or hitting ENTER, hold down CTRL & SHIFT keys) and run the following command to see what you get:
ipconfig /all

OR, you could open a browser window and type the router's (gateway) IP address in the URL field to see if you can connect to its interface.
If you can, the router is up and can be accessed from your computer so the connection between the router and the ISP has likely to have dropped.

If the replaced router was brand new, it is not very likely that it is the culprit but next time you lose connection, try doing a power-cycle (aka soft reset) on the router (disconnect its power for at least 30 seconds then plug it back in).

The ISP can also try to ping the router from their end. If possible, this is something they should do when you lose connection.

PS. You could also use a phone that still has a data line connection, visit: https://downdetector.com/ to see if there is an outage in your neck of the woods.
Unless you know for a fact that someone in your building also has Ziply Fiber and they were using Internet around the same time frame and weren't having any issues.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 04-09-2024 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet