Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:00 PM

82 posts, read 486,362 times

Advertisements

Phlute: Though we have narrowed our home search to a handfull, it has more to do with what is available within the West Lafayette City limits than our choice of home features. I have two more weeks to get organized, so maybe in that time something else will come up on the market.

As for Eating fish... I probbaly wouldn't eat ANY fist from a body of water around there.. Just fun enough to catch them. I just didn't want to turn green from contacting the water. :-) I'm sure its not THAT bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I grew up in Lafayette. Although I haven't visited the area in many years, I do have a few suggestions. For a great burger or chopsteak as they are called, visith the Triple XXX restaurant. For ice cream lovers, the Frozen Custard, near Columbian Park can't be beat! I loved visiting Turkey Run State Park for hiking and camping. Feast of the Hunters' Moon at Fort Ouiatenon is an incredible "reinactment" of life in the 1700's along the Wabash. Thousands of participants work this event and you'll feel like you have been transported back in time. I think the festival is usually the first or second weekend in October. Going to a Purdue football game in October is wonderful. Highschool basketball is king in this area. Go to a Jeff or Westside game and enjoy. Not sure if they are still in existence, but there used to be a local chain of pizza places called Pizza King....great pizza!!
Thanks for the response. funny story.. .When my wife was at Purdue for an internship, she would go to resturants and shopping with a card and I would simply see the transactions and pay them when due. When I saw Tripple XXX in the transactions, needless to say, I was a little shocked. A quick google search calmed my nerves... BUT STILL!!! How many of you have been traveling in other parts of the country, and your kids saw XXX on the side of the highway and wanted to get something to eat there?! I'll guess I'll just have to try it out for myself.... the West Lafayette Tripple XXX location that is.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:23 PM

34 posts, read 120,814 times
I don't know too many people who would go swimming in the Wabash. There is tubing on the Tippecanoe River and Wildcat Creek.

As for eating fish, check out the Indiana Fish Consumption Advisory. It lists the risks of different types of fish caught in various bodies of water throughout the state.

And, at the risk of incurring the wrath of Arni's fanboy sponger42, I'll second the Pizza King recommendation.

Also Hokieed, just a guess on my part (a realtor would have more insight), but this is probably about the worst time to try to buy a house in WL. Since demand there is driven by the schools, I'd guess people wouldn't be moving out until after school's out for the summer.

Last edited by patken44; 03-15-2008 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patken44 View Post
I don't know too many people who would go swimming in the Wabash. There is tubing on the Tippecanoe River and Wildcat Creek.
You know one.

Years ago (1992, I believe) there used to be a city-sponsored raft "race" down the wabash where participants built either "speedy" (human-powered) or "themed" (the last year it was held, the theme was "superheros"--the raft with "Purdue Pete" won that year) rafts and floated (and walked) down the Wabash river in mid-July when it was at low ebb. Yes, I participated, and swam, and no, I didn't suffer any noticable ill effects. I wouldn't make a regular habit out of bathing in the Wabash, but once or twice a year is no big deal.

Quote:
And, at the risk of incurring the wrath of Arni's fanboy sponger42, I'll second the Pizza King recommendation.
You are insane! Pizza King over Arnis?! You're just jealous because there's no Arni's in that little one-horse town of yours!

Don't listen to him. Pizza King, IMO, is like eating a dry cracker with a little cheese and grease spread over it. Many many years ago it was better, but toppings have been getting thinner and the pie less satisfying every year.

Years and years ago, I heard there was a bit of a dispute between Arnie and the owners of the Pizza King franchise over the similarities of their respective pizzas. The resolution came when Arnie tripled the amount of toppings, cheese, sauce, and everything good on his pies, and today--even though Arnie is gone (2003 RIP) they remain infinitely superior to the Pizza King. Go to Arnis, order at least 2 toppings, and if you can see more than a square cm of cheese anywhere on the pie (especially if you ordered sausage) send it back and ask them to "do it right"!

And, yes, XXX is indeed "on the hill but on the level". LOL. Best for late-night eats, but a good greasy spoon all-around.

2nd the Columbian Park Frozen Custard!!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 PM

34 posts, read 120,814 times
I remember the raft races. And in the ensuing 15 years, I haven't seen too many other people tubing there. Certainly not to the extent of the other rivers. The rubber duck race also started in the Wabash. Your swim may explain the irrational Arni's exuberance.

And you're right, there is no Arni's in my little one-horse town. The King would take that one horse and ride Arni right out of town on it. I believe you're correct about the recipe dispute. (For those of you keeping score at home, Arni's and Pizza King are both regional chains that specialize in thin crust pizza. If sponger's irrational exuberance hasn't scared you out of trying Pizza King, stop in at the one on Teal Rd. across from the fairgrounds. The have a train that brings your drinks to your table. Arni's trains can't do that.) If you're looking for a little out of the way pizza place, check out Buck Creek Pizza. And as long as we're pimping ice cream shops, I'm obliged to mention Budge's Drive-In on north 14th st. Also check the Lindy Freeze in Linden.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 AM

well, just based on the dicussion here, I would have to try Arni's. Monster toppings rule!

Those raft races sure sounded fun. Why were they stopped?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:47 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,021 times
They have some huge Catfish in the Wabash and Tippecanoe Rivers but I wouldn't dare eat them.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
The raft races ended due to liability issues with the city parks department and the inability to get insurance. It's a real pity, but understandable because some years the Wabash is a 2 foot-deep mudpuddle all the way across in July, and some years it's 15' deep raging torrent.

And it was a blast while it lasted. Overloaded rafts made from inner tubes, plywood, and 40-gallon drums all lashed together with baling twine and bubble gum. Water fights between rival rafts, fully stocked coolers (sometimes overturning and floating their contents down the river. The year the theme was "TV Shows" the Gilligan's Island raft (appropriately) ran aground and became stranded on one of the pillars of the old Davis Ferry bridge.

Patken is sort of right. If you MUST eat pizza king, go to the one with the drink-bringing train. They used to have in-booth atari video games (think pong and space-invaders). They weren't retro, they just were installed when the place was built and never changed.

Budge's is better than hospital food (right next to St. Elizabeth) and you'll see the nurses and sisters there at lunch time. Couldn't tell you anything about Butt Crack Pizza other than it is bound to be inferior to Arnis.

Again, be sure to visit the Arni's at Market Square for the best pie.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:45 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
Its me again. I grew up across Teal Road from CC (Central Catholic High School). I remember walking to Jefferson Square shopping center, I believe where the Pizza King is. Love it! I still miss it, nothing like it in south Florida. Does anyone remember O'Rear's Bakery? It was also located in Jefferson Square. They had the best pastries!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM

231 posts, read 701,138 times
O'Rears Bakery use to be in Jefferson Square? I thought it was always on North 9th ST...hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Its me again. I grew up across Teal Road from CC (Central Catholic High School). I remember walking to Jefferson Square shopping center, I believe where the Pizza King is. Love it! I still miss it, nothing like it in south Florida. Does anyone remember O'Rear's Bakery? It was also located in Jefferson Square. They had the best pastries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana