Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 11:50 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,117,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If we do increase legal immigration it shouldn't be to fill jobs for those types of businesses but instead they should be for skilled jobs for immigrants who are educated and that can support themselves.
Increase legal immigration and you will get more educated and skilled immigrants coming into the country. BUT...you do that, and then the conversation will turn to Americans complaining about how immigrants are undercutting them for high paying PROFESSIONAL/WHITE COLLAR jobs. See: how the H1-B program has affected a lot of STEM jobs, bringing in tons of cheaper labor from places like India who will work for less than their American counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 11:59 AM

63,111 posts, read 29,298,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
The answer to that is something you and I both know - there is and has been zero appetite from Republicans to increase the number of legal immigrants. What Republican legislator in the last few years has advocated for such a policy or written a bill to increase the numbers? Neither the Republican-written bill coming out of the house or the now-dead bipartisan bill significantly addressed the legal immigration numbers, which are far too low.

Of course, Democrats don't care either because there's enough illegal labor that its not as big of a deal as it would otherwise be, but they are clearly not interested in changing the status quo. But again, the status quo is better than a decreasing population.
There has been zero appetite for the Republicans to increase the number of poor, unskilled and uneducated immigrants to come here legally because they are a tax burden on our society. They don't have an issue with legal immigrants who are educated, etc. to fill "necessary" jobs. Learn to know the difference! The Democrats also have an ulterior motive to make citizens out of these poor "immigrants" because they know most will vote Democrat.

The now debunked House and Senate bill that I believe you are referring to was a border security bill not an immigration bill.

We have plenty of American labor to work necessary jobs that pay a liveable wage. Our legal immigration numbers aren't too low for "necessary" jobs. What's wrong with decreasing population numbers? Do all you think of is in terms of the economy and labor? There are far more important things to keep a country healthy and happy than the almighty dollar.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueWho View Post
Increase legal immigration and you will get more educated and skilled immigrants coming into the country. BUT...you do that, and then the conversation will turn to Americans complaining about how immigrants are undercutting them for high paying PROFESSIONAL/WHITE COLLAR jobs. See: how the H1-B program has affected a lot of STEM jobs, bringing in tons of cheaper labor from places like India who will work for less than their American counterparts.
I don't advocate for educated and skilled legal immigrants to come here an compete against Americans for their jobs. We should only allow them to come where there is a shortage of skilled workers not because they could be paid less than an American.

Yes, I have a relative who works in the IT industry and it's true foreign workers coming here on visas are indeed replacing American workers by working cheaper. I don't advocate for that and I refer you to my above statement about it.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Because BOTH the Republicans AND Democrats benefit from illegal immigration.

Republicans get increased profits due to cheap labor

Democrats get increased votes to implement their policies, and most likely profit.

One side PUBLICLY opposes it but privately supports it and the other supports it openly.

I've been on large construction sites all over the United States, in both Blue and Red States.

I've walked the buildings during construction, while the workers were there working.

You'd be surprised which states had more illegals working on their projects, in my opinion. Hint: it wasn't the Democrat states.

Yes, the Governor of Texas makes a lot of noise about the issue at the BORDER but how many raids has he led at construction sites, farms, restaurants, etc.?

ZERO- he doesn't want to upset his Republican businesses and their profits.
Illegals only benefit the elite and business owners while the rest of us get the shaft in so many ways. The corrupt on both sides take advantage of the cheap labor. However, only the Republicans have pushed legislation to stop it while being met with opposition by the Democrats.

As for your comment about one side publicly opposing it while privately supporting it does not fit most conservatives. So let's not stereotype, shall we? Is outwardly supporting illegal immigration a good thing?

I live in Calif. a Democrat held state and we have more illegals than anyone else and they are all working construction and other jobs. Same goes for New York, Illinois and most of the southwestern states all Democrat held. So, I would say that most illegals are working in Democrat held states not Republican ones.

Maybe instead of throwing out a leading question to demonize the Governor of Texas you should find out the answer for yourself. How do you know that businesses weren't raided for illegal aliens? I do know that when workplace raids were implemented by a prior president to Obama and Biden both of them put an end to them once they became president. Both were Democrat presidents!

Old 05-09-2024, 03:18 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,628,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Because in many cases, those who comprise the "illegals", are people with few skills, that would actually enhance the US, therefore they become a burden on our society rather than an enhancement. Why would we want to increase the amount of needy people in the US??
Huh? I said why aren't they increasing LEGAL immigration, which would mean accepting people with skills who can prove they would NOT be a burden.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:44 AM

30,372 posts, read 23,840,056 times
I have my theories about why this is happening, and part of it is because of an alleged lower birth rate, but not because of anything as innocently as some are thinking.

What I will say flat out is this: If you are a "climate change" spewer, and/or claim that you "care" about the environment, but have no problem with the 10s of millions of illegal aliens pouring into this country, I say, and believe me this is the kindest way I can say this, sit the f down, and shut the f up. You don't give a single damn for the environment.

Old 05-10-2024, 03:38 AM

25,652 posts, read 17,402,104 times
Open Borders...
I think it has a lot to do with insuring there is a constant growth in GDP thereby preventing the appearance of a recession. The appearance of recession is important to whoever is in the White House.

Republicans getting rich; Democrats recruiting future voters - I think those points are off the mark. The point is, people come across the border and generate economic activity. The people making border policy don't really care if illegals barely get by, and don't care if some American loses out on a job.

FWIW: As a population shrinks, it gets older and the work force gets smaller. It can create a real problem for the shrinking country as tax revenue falls and expenses of caring for the elderly rises. Having a smaller population is fine; getting there can be painful.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:23 AM

6,525 posts, read 3,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Huh? I said why aren't they increasing LEGAL immigration, which would mean accepting people with skills who can prove they would NOT be a burden.
And where are all these jobs, that what you call "skilled workers" can fill? First of all, if these people are SO skilled, why is their native country going to let them readily leave? Secondly, why aren't the "Native Americans" being trained to fill these jobs, rather than simply given welfare, simply because they don't feel like working? And finally, as we move forward, automation is filling many jobs, now, such that not as many workers, in some areas, are now needed. Look at farming and think of how many workers that one man, named John Deere, has displaced.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have my theories about why this is happening, and part of it is because of an alleged lower birth rate, but not because of anything as innocently as some are thinking.

What I will say flat out is this: If you are a "climate change" spewer, and/or claim that you "care" about the environment, but have no problem with the 10s of millions of illegal aliens pouring into this country, I say, and believe me this is the kindest way I can say this, sit the f down, and shut the f up. You don't give a single damn for the environment.
I agree!

Old 05-10-2024, 07:07 AM

998 posts, read 1,069,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

As for your comment about one side publicly opposing it while privately supporting it does not fit most conservatives. So let's not stereotype, shall we? Is outwardly supporting illegal immigration a good thing?
!
I'm not talking about the the average conservative voter (The little guys) ..I'm talking about the BIG MONEY DONORS behind Conservative Candidates.

They 100% support illegal immigration, behind closed doors, because it allows the developers and all of the other BIG Bushiness Owners associated with profiting off of cheap illegal immigrant labor to benefit BIG TIME.

It pads their pockets.

It's a simple diversion tactic...

Cry about illegal immigration PUBLICLY..and have your non influential, non resourceful voters also cry about it which DISTINGUISHES you from your opponent's PUBLIC STANCE but then have the top 20% INFLUENTIAL People in that party...continue to reap the HUGE BENEFITS from the cheap labor an obviously do NOTHING to stop it.

Tell me the next time Governor Abbott calls for a raid on a big Home Builder, like Perry Home, or raids the farms that serve the biggest employer in the State of Texas, HEB Grocery Stores....It isn't happening.

Sure, he will bus illegals and put glass in the river but he is NOT going to TAKE MONEY out of the pockets of big Conservative Donors.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I'm not talking about the the average conservative voter (The little guys) ..I'm talking about the BIG MONEY DONORS behind Conservative Candidates.

They 100% support illegal immigration, behind closed doors, because it allows the developers and all of the other BIG Bushiness Owners associated with profiting off of cheap illegal immigrant labor to benefit BIG TIME.

It pads their pockets.

It's a simple diversion tactic...

Cry about illegal immigration PUBLICLY..and have your non influential, non resourceful voters also cry about it which DISTINGUISHES you from your opponent's PUBLIC STANCE but then have the top 20% INFLUENTIAL People in that party...continue to reap the HUGE BENEFITS from the cheap labor an obviously do NOTHING to stop it.

Tell me the next time Governor Abbott calls for a raid on a big Home Builder, like Perry Home, or raids the farms that serve the biggest employer in the State of Texas, HEB Grocery Stores....It isn't happening.

Sure, he will bus illegals and put glass in the river but he is NOT going to TAKE MONEY out of the pockets of big Conservative Donors.
But you can't make that claim without backing it up with facts otherwise it's merely your opinion. Are there those both Republican and Democrat who are rich that are hypocrites on this issue of illegal immigration? Of course there are but you singled out the Republicans and conservatives and they aren't all that way and you have no idea what the percentage of them are.

I would like your mind reading abilities but I don't and I will not single out an entire group and call them all hypocrites because there are honest people in every group to.

How do you know what Abbott does or doesn't do and what he even has the power to do?

By Abbott taking steps to deter illegal immigration in his state that indeed is preventing more profits for
the greedy who want cheap illegal labor. That's a given!

I get the impression that your rant is based on something entirely different. I say that because many pro-illegals come in here ranting about our politicians and greedy businesses when in fact they are really supporters of illegal aliens. Not saying that you are one of them but your rant sounds quite familiar especially when one starts attacking those who are actually trying to do something to stop illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration