Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 08:37 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's usually a side gig for students, people with other part-time jobs, or those who are between jobs. At least that is the case for the people I know who drive Uber.
Thank you; that makes sense. But there was mention on the thread of new immigrants doing it. I guess it's one way to quickly generate some income, any income, while they work on acquiring other skills.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-01-2024 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 08:40 AM

4,327 posts, read 6,294,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Is this LA?
Bay Area

Old 05-01-2024, 09:11 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times
Quote:
Affluent immigrants ironically create more resentment. A lot of White people are happy with Mexican gardeners or Central American housekeepers but don't want wealthy Chinese or Indian professionals to outbid them in housing markets.
Well I've never heard that before and to be honest I don't believe it. It makes no sense, I'm guessing that you are trying to say that there is x number of Mexican gardeners so whites will resent wealthy chinese from bidding for them? Mexican gardeners are quite flexible, you should get out and meet some of them they will mow lawns one day, construct a fence or do finish work on a swimming pool the next. They are usually resourceful and ambitious

Old 05-01-2024, 09:15 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well I've never heard that before and to be honest I don't believe it. It makes no sense, I'm guessing that you are trying to say that there is x number of Mexican gardeners so whites will resent wealthy chinese from bidding for them? Mexican gardeners are quite flexible, you should get out and meet some of them they will mow lawns one day, construct a fence or do finish work on a swimming pool the next. They are usually resourceful and ambitious
This! They're amazing! And some can be very interesting to talk to. Nice people.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:18 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
...in whose world is Uber/Lyft driving a real job? One that pays much of anything at all, to say nothing of providing a livable income?
We were picked up by an Uber/Lyft driver awhile back at LAX who informed us about how she did her job full time. Very focused, intent on certain routes, knew which ones and what times of the day were more lucrative, etc. It was interesting to talk with her. Our nephew was a Lyft driver and did it full time for two years. I take Lyft/Uber from Toyota when my car is being serviced. FWIW, none of these people are immigrants...

Old 05-01-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
The migrant wave since the pandemic has been unprecedented, but I have not really noticed the impact in Southern California. I feel that California's demographics are changing less than in other parts of the nation. California underwent its demographic transformation from 1980 to 2010s.

-Mexican immigration to California has dramatically slowed down
-California has less appeal to non-Mexican/Northern Triangle Latinos
-the Bay Area's dramatic Asian and Indian growth of the 2010s will likely slow due to tech layoffs
-though a lot of Chinese and Indian Sikh migrants are coming to California but are poorer than the 2010s Asian wave
-California does seem to be attracting Afghan and Ukrainian refugees, especially Sacramento
Sacramento first attracted Russian immigrants due to it being pushed by a Christian radio show in the 70's. Over time Ukranians followed with larger numbers arriving since the war in Ukraine. Afghans have been here in smaller numbers for several years but over the last few years their numbers have increased, if you ask them "why Sacramento?" they will tell you that people are friendly here - and they are. We have a number of organizations that help refugees furnish their apartment, get clothes for their kids and line up jobs for the parents. They are friendly hardworking people who wouldn't want them in their community? As you travel North to Roseville and Folsom you will see larger numbers of Asian indians, they are also prevalent in Natomas. We are just a big mixing bowl and welcome our new residents with open arms.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:29 AM

14,352 posts, read 11,747,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This! They're amazing! And some can be very interesting to talk to. Nice people.
Super nice people. Yesterday I was helping out at our shop and my husband asked me to push a car from behind while he steered it into the bay. Just as I started doing that, a young Hispanic man was riding his bike past the shop, saw what was going on, jumped off his bike leaving it on the sidewalk, and motioned me with a big smile to step away so he could push the car instead. When that was done we thanked him, and he gave us another smile and wave and continued on his way. And that is only one of many times young immigrants (I'm only assuming he was an immigrant, but he didn't seem to speak English) have been kind and helpful without even being asked. I appreciate them.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:34 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,390,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Super nice people. Yesterday I was helping out at our shop and my husband asked me to push a car from behind while he steered it into the bay. Just as I started doing that, a young Hispanic man was riding his bike past the shop, saw what was going on, jumped off his bike leaving it on the sidewalk, and motioned me with a big smile to step away so he could push the car instead. When that was done we thanked him, and he gave us another smile and wave and continued on his way. And that is only one of many times young immigrants (I'm only assuming he was an immigrant, but he didn't seem to speak English) have been kind and helpful without even being asked. I appreciate them.
While I am against all immigration - because there’s already too many people everywhere - it is my firm impression that many immigrants make far better citizens than do born-entitled citizens in America who seem to too often believe in the myth of “American exceptionalism”. We (Americans) are increasingly a nasty bunch of arrogant, self-absorbed - well, idiots.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobound65 View Post
Immigrants can’t afford 6.00 plus gas and sky high utilities and rent plus high income taxes etc. I think it’s the one thing that’s saving Ca from an invasion of illegals.
Gas is not even close to $6 where I live and like it or not most illegals have friends or families that they can stay with no matter how much rent and utilities are.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:50 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 4 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,536,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well I've never heard that before and to be honest I don't believe it.s
I have heard sentiments like that from Mexican-Americans/Mexicans who are from the Alhambra, El Monte, Rosemead area. Mostly complaining about the huge increases in price and they feel theyve been driven out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration