Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 04:06 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Did your grandparents have to show their Passports or have Visas to come here legally back in those days???? If they made it to the US, however, they were welcomed as long as their weren't sick and carrying a contagious disease. Did not have to know any ENGLISH either.

You do not have to be born on US soil to be a US Citizen either. My neighbor was serving in the Military in Germany when he met and married a German woman. Their son was born in Germany. He is a US Citizen through his Dad, and a German Citizen born on their soil, and through his German Mom. Some people want to end Birthright Citizenship as well. No Anchor Babies.

I became a certified Genealogist back in the 70s. Learned about all these situations long time ago doing research. Different Countries have different rules. My great-grandpa, who migrated from Italy, never became a Naturalized US Citizen, thereby renouncing his Italian Citizenship. By "sanguine" his family are Italian citizens,, even born on US soil, up to the 4th generation which would be me.
My grandparents came here under the immigration laws in place at the time and part of the exception was not having to know English. Different times! That was over 100 years ago! However, my grandparents insisted that their kids learn and speak English.

I didn't say you had to be a citizen for your offspring to gain automatic birthright citizen. However you have to be here legally and only owing allegiance to our country according to the 14th Amendment. The offspring of illegal aliens do not qualify under those rules and have only been deemed citizens by a PC notion.

Of course the example in your second paragraph is correct because the father was a U.S. citizen and therefore his offspring gained birthright citizenship through him.

It's not about ending birthright citizenship it's about following the wording in the 14th Amendment of which presently it isn't being followed as that Amendment actually denies the offspring of illegal alien parents our birthright citizenship. It is making a mockery out of our citizenship by not following the rules in that Amendment.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:43 PM

10,242 posts, read 6,333,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My grandparents came here under the immigration laws in place at the time and part of the exception was not having to know English. Different times! That was over 100 years ago! However, my grandparents insisted that their kids learn and speak English.

I didn't say you had to be a citizen for your offspring to gain automatic birthright citizen. However you have to be here legally and only owing allegiance to our country according to the 14th Amendment. The offspring of illegal aliens do not qualify under those rules and have only been deemed citizens by a PC notion.

Of course the example in your second paragraph is correct because the father was a U.S. citizen and therefore his offspring gained birthright citizenship through him.

It's not about ending birthright citizenship it's about following the wording in the 14th Amendment of which presently it isn't being followed as that Amendment actually denies the offspring of illegal alien parents our birthright citizenship. It is making a mockery out of our citizenship by not following the rules in that Amendment.
When I worked in SW Florida it was usually the MOTHER who was the US Citizen, not the Father. Would still qualify?

Speaking of olden times, my great-grandma did not become a US Citizen until her 70's. Came here when she was 11. This was AFTER great-grandpa died. Read between the lines of that.

As a young child she used to tell me stories of her trip on board ship coming here. Years later I told my Mom what she said to me. "How did you understand her? She spoke very little English." I suppose at home she only spoke Italian but apparently knew enough English to become Naturalized. When I was very young, I guess I understood her Italian.

I think it is a shame that with each succeeding generation the original language of their immigrants is lost.

BTW, what is the percentage of US born Citizens who have dual citizenship? There was even a thread here on CD Genealogy Forum about that. There are no Politicians who have dual citizenship? Dr. Oz who ran for PA Senator held dual citizenship with Turkey, and voted in their elections. Like that?

Old 04-28-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When I worked in SW Florida it was usually the MOTHER who was the US Citizen, not the Father. Would still qualify?

Speaking of olden times, my great-grandma did not become a US Citizen until her 70's. Came here when she was 11. This was AFTER great-grandpa died. Read between the lines of that.

As a young child she used to tell me stories of her trip on board ship coming here. Years later I told my Mom what she said to me. "How did you understand her? She spoke very little English." I suppose at home she only spoke Italian but apparently knew enough English to become Naturalized. When I was very young, I guess I understood her Italian.

I think it is a shame that with each succeeding generation the original language of their immigrants is lost.

BTW, what is the percentage of US born Citizens who have dual citizenship? There was even a thread here on CD Genealogy Forum about that. There are no Politicians who have dual citizenship? Dr. Oz who ran for PA Senator held dual citizenship with Turkey, and voted in their elections. Like that?
As long as one parent is a U.S. citizen then of course their offspring would be a citizen of our country. If I had my way though both parents would have to be a citizen or legal immigrant, not if one is an illegal alien.

Many generations who's ancestors came here as immigrants do retain their native languages with subsequent generations and nothing wrong with that just as long as they embrace English as their primary language of usage especially out in mainstream. I couldn't care less what language they speak in their own homes.

I don't have the answers to the questions you posed in your last paragraph. If you want to know the answers why not look them up?

Old 04-28-2024, 06:36 PM

238 posts, read 209,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
All Biden had to do, as a President following Trump, is not stir the pot...not give enlugh Americans a reason to despise him.

With his view on illegal immigration, he has given enough Americans to despise him and it WILL cost him the election.

Not because Trump is a better candidate but because the fact that 80% of Americans immigration and want they bring to our Country (we are all immigrants after all) but they want it under control and not a lawless political football.

As someone who lives in Texas it is beyond out of control right now.
You are correct. Biden is a mean hateful man who puts America last. No one has stopped his open borders for 3 1/2 years. No one has yet explained why not. The Supreme Court does not enforce the Constitution is what I see. What he is doing is illegal. Unvetted mass illegals are so dangerous to Americans. But yet no one stops him. Is this correct below? If so why has it NOT be done?

Can executive orders be overturned by the Supreme Court?
The complex role of the Supreme Court in this system derives from its authority to invalidate legislation or executive actions which, in the Court's considered judgment, conflict with the Constitution.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:14 AM

35,123 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
It will work out as well has his wall. Once again he is writing checks his but can't cash. We have been down this road before.
The trouble is that at least he didn't have a wide open border. Biden does.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:36 AM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Former President Donald Trump's vow for mass deportations of illegal immigrants has garnered some controversy from some activists, but a new poll shows it is popular among most adults.

An Axios Vibes poll released on Thursday found that 51% of adults support mass deportations of illegal immigrants.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...2cf77210&ei=23

Not an overwhelming majority only a slight one but it's encouraging anyway. Prior to Biden's presidency the poll may have been very different considering the number of bleeding hearts in our country and those with an ethnic based and cheap labor agenda.
"controversial"

What's controversial about them?

Be specific.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
All Biden had to do, as a President following Trump, is not stir the pot...not give enlugh Americans a reason to despise him.

With his view on illegal immigration, he has given enough Americans to despise him and it WILL cost him the election.

Not because Trump is a better candidate but because the fact that 80% of Americans immigration and want they bring to our Country (we are all immigrants after all) but they want it under control and not a lawless political football.

As someone who lives in Texas it is beyond out of control right now.
"because the fact that 80% of Americans immigration and want they bring to our Country"

Clarify what you claim and back it up.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a Native American.

Which tribe, may I ask?

Those are the only people who are NOT recent immigrants...everyone else, our families immigrated her from somewhere.
Most know the difference between "immigrant" and ILLEGAL ALIEN.

Obviously, you DON'T!

Old 04-30-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"controversial"

What's controversial about them?

Be specific.
It's only controversial to liberals and others who have a vested interest in illegal immigration. For law abiding Americans deporting illegal aliens isn't controversial it's a necessity.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:19 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
It will work out as well has his wall. Once again he is writing checks his but can't cash. We have been down this road before.
Exactly, and birthright citizenship (which I don't personally like) is in the constitution and it's unlikely that Trump can wave his magic wand and change it. And despite the enormous cost of catching, imprisoning and transporting 'illegals' out of the US, it would leave in it's wake farms, meat processing plants, hotels, restaurants and long term care health facilities without workers - what will Trump do then, force citizens to do those jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration