Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 07:18 AM

24,641 posts, read 17,375,530 times

Advertisements

It wasn't that long ago that Obama used the term Illegal Alien.

To punish this kid is so typical of the Left and their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 02:54 PM

3,760 posts, read 2,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It wasn't that long ago that Obama used the term Illegal Alien.

To punish this kid is so typical of the Left and their agenda.
It's being reported today, that the suspended student's parents are suing the Davidson County school board.
The lawsuit seeks to clear their son's name (he's no longer at the school, he's being homeschooled).. so I don't think they're seeking to reverse the suspension(?) And also suing for (yet unannounced) damages.
I'm curious about how this develops.. probably an out of court settlement

Old 05-08-2024, 01:53 PM

52,925 posts, read 34,766,706 times
good.

School sued for suspending student who used term ‘illegal alien’

Old 05-08-2024, 02:00 PM

5,784 posts, read 4,748,825 times
Great news. Hope he wins big.

If i was him, I'd sue for either $10M or $1 plus the firing of both the teacher and the principal that approved the suspension.

School board can decide which option they like.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:42 PM

1,342 posts, read 732,644 times
It's worth noting that the press is only getting the kid and his mom's version of the story since the school district can't comment due to privacy concerns. The teacher isn't able to give his or her version of what happened. We don't know if the other student really challenged the kid to a fight or if they did if that student was suspended as well.

Having two kids in high school in the same state, in a much more politically liberal area I might add, I find it really hard to believe this kid would be suspended if all he did was simply ask what he claimed he did for clarification purposes. That likely wouldn't even happened in the district I'm in. My kids have heard worse either go unchallenged by school staff or just met with a simple correction. It's actually pretty hard to get suspended these days. There must be more to the story.

Also, the mom and her posse seem to have a bit of an agenda beyond having the suspension reversed. And claiming that in Davidson County of all places this kid would've been bullied so bad for what he claimed he did that he had to be homeschooled is another red flag for lying or at least stretching the truth. It's a very white very politically conservative county and part of the state. Something about this story just seems off.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:16 PM

3,760 posts, read 2,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
It's worth noting that the press is only getting the kid and his mom's version of the story since the school district can't comment due to privacy concerns. The teacher isn't able to give his or her version of what happened. We don't know if the other student really challenged the kid to a fight or if they did if that student was suspended as well.

Having two kids in high school in the same state, in a much more politically liberal area I might add, I find it really hard to believe this kid would be suspended if all he did was simply ask what he claimed he did for clarification purposes. That likely wouldn't even happened in the district I'm in. My kids have heard worse either go unchallenged by school staff or just met with a simple correction. It's actually pretty hard to get suspended these days. There must be more to the story.

Also, the mom and her posse seem to have a bit of an agenda beyond having the suspension reversed. And claiming that in Davidson County of all places this kid would've been bullied so bad for what he claimed he did that he had to be homeschooled is another red flag for lying or at least stretching the truth. It's a very white very politically conservative county and part of the state. Something about this story just seems off.
Respectfully, you sound like you have an agenda.. you doubt the student could be bullied because his county is conservative and White(?)

You don't believe he could be suspended for his word choice (even tho his hard copy suspension paperwork has been publicly released, by the family I assume. And documents that his suspension was related to his word choice).

And you don't believe the parents were concerned about his safety, which questions their integrity. But I haven't seen any indication these are otherwise litigious people(?)

Old 05-08-2024, 05:31 PM

1,342 posts, read 732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
you doubt the student could be bullied because his county is conservative and White(?)
Correct! Having two kids in high school right now in NC, it difficult to believe this kid would be bullied simply for what he claims he said in a Davidson County School so badly he'd have to leave school. He'd be in the majority by a landslide racially and likely would not be surrounded by lots of people looking to condemn his word choice. Now it's possible he had no friends and no support and all of the small Hispanic minority came after him and no one helped, but that seems kind of far fetched. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

Quote:
You don't believe he could be suspended for his word choice (even tho his hard copy suspension paperwork has been publicly released, by the family I assume. And documents that his suspension was related to his word choice).
Again, having kids in NC high schools right now, yes, I find it difficult to believe this kid was suspended for supposedly only for earnestly asking for clarification if the teacher meant space aliens or illegal aliens without green cards. It at bare minimum sounds like a smarta$$ thing to ask and indicates he likely isn't the most respectful student which does call into question his character and integrity.

Now is it possible that that's all he did and he's never caused trouble before and that this kid just had the worst luck in all of Davidson County by supposedly getting a zero tolerance woke teacher and principal, perhaps. But again, it seems unlikely.

Quote:
And you don't believe the parents were concerned about his safety, which questions their integrity. But I haven't seen any indication these are otherwise litigious people(?)
I have no idea if they have a history of being litigious. But given how the mother spoke to the board and given the group that filed the suit on the family's behalf, I am skeptical of her story and her agenda.

At minimum the kid was being disruptive and disrespectful if he said what he said unless he's really claiming he needed the clarification in which case he must have unidentified special needs. He said what he said and should take the punishment and supposed social consequences like a man.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:53 PM

6,173 posts, read 4,646,499 times
Quote:

I was going to say something as well because I share being from North Carolina in common with you (I'm a native) and you are absolutely right that Davidson County is the last place that would be considered a liberal area. It's not even a moderate area. You and I both know that would be a laughable statement for anyone who is even remotely familiar with that county.

I am with you in that I think there is only one side of the story being presented here and it's important to know what else may have gone on to cause this (which, as you point out is restricted due to this being a disciplinary action of a student that the school cannot give full details on). That's not to say for certain that the school handled it the best way, but context is important in cases like this and I certainly have a healthy does of skepticism with media like Fox News who obviously does have a political agenda with appeasing their audience and it's questionable that they report the facts in an unbiased and complete manner. As their very own legal counsel argued in court in another case, their statements are hyperbole and can't be taken literally.

As to the people who are saying "just sue", and some saying that the school should be sued for outrageous amounts (millions of dollars was mentioned), I will just say that there are people out there who are just money greedy and we've seen that here. It's a reason so many things cost way more than they should. Anyone can sue for anything at anytime. It doesn't make that legitimate.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:58 PM

50,510 posts, read 47,293,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Enforce immigration law and repeal birthright citizenship to get rid of bitterness in our country.
It's gone on so long they now feel entitled. They should have been deported right after they became illegal. Then the current bunch of illegal alien asylum seekers will demand the same.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:24 PM

16,589 posts, read 10,717,637 times
Quote:
At minimum the kid was being disruptive and disrespectful if he said what he said unless he's really claiming he needed the clarification in which case he must have unidentified special needs. He said what he said and should take the punishment and supposed social consequences like a man.
I don't live in North Carolina and know nothing about Davidson County. But why would it be disruptive and disrespectful to simply ask for clarification? If one is doing a vocabulary assignment, it certainly does matter what kind of alien is being asked about, in order to put the word into its proper context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration