Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 10:46 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,152,594 times

Advertisements

Went to the mail box and got a circular from Lowes. I generally haven't got a sales circular from them in a few years..

I started looking at it and it was completely in Spanish. The whole thing from beginning to end was in Spanish. I live in SW Florida and in a diverse neighborhood , hardy all Spanish. Most speak English. Am I still in America?

Old 04-17-2024, 10:54 AM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
I've seen my first TV commercial in Spanish on a (previously) non-Spanish-speaking channel.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Florida is almost a third Hispanic (27%) so not surprising that they would market in Spanish. It seems more logical to have it in both languages, however.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:16 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Went to the mail box and got a circular from Lowes. I generally haven't got a sales circular from them in a few years..

I started looking at it and it was completely in Spanish. The whole thing from beginning to end was in Spanish. I live in SW Florida and in a diverse neighborhood , hardy all Spanish. Most speak English. Am I still in America?
I watched this happen to my (LA) neighborhood back in the early 2ooos.. Fliers just converted to Spanish. And local billboards became a mix of English and Spanish.
I also remember that 2006 World Cup, because of all the Mexican flags hanging from neighbors' balconies and windows.

There are still Americans who are insulated from this demographic transformation, but it is becoming harder for them to hide or not notice now. Even the streaming services are running all Spanish-speaking commercials during otherwise English speaking shows. Almost overnight, I'd say my streaming commercials went from no Spanish, to about 10-15% in Spanish. But it won't be long until that number grows.. even tho it's never explained how multilingualism improves social cohesion or improves a nation ???

Old 04-17-2024, 12:58 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I watched this happen to my (LA) neighborhood back in the early 2ooos.. Fliers just converted to Spanish. And local billboards became a mix of English and Spanish.
I also remember that 2006 World Cup, because of all the Mexican flags hanging from neighbors' balconies and windows.

There are still Americans who are insulated from this demographic transformation, but it is becoming harder for them to hide or not notice now. Even the streaming services are running all Spanish-speaking commercials during otherwise English speaking shows. Almost overnight, I'd say my streaming commercials went from no Spanish, to about 10-15% in Spanish. But it won't be long until that number grows.. even tho it's never explained how multilingualism improves social cohesion or improves a nation ???
What I don't get is that we are constantly being told that Spanish speakers are assimilating linguistiically in our country and know English and in fact a good many of them are citizens of our country and do know English. So why do they need anything provided to them in Spanish? I'll tell you why. It's because of the massive number of illegal alien Spanish speakers in our country. It's pandering at it's finest.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:03 PM

1,934 posts, read 820,663 times
Quote:

Assimilation is no longer expected or tolerated.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:46 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,152,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Florida is almost a third Hispanic (27%) so not surprising that they would market in Spanish. It seems more logical to have it in both languages, however.
I am in Southwest Florida. We are now seeing more and more illegal immigrants here in my area. We never had any circulars come printed in just Spanish. There was not one English word .

I could see this in Miami. I went for a ride there and everything is in Spanish. Every sign..

Old 04-17-2024, 06:05 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
I am in Southwest Florida. We are now seeing more and more illegal immigrants here in my area. We never had any circulars come printed in just Spanish. There was not one English word .

I could see this in Miami. I went for a ride there and everything is in Spanish. Every sign..
The Cubans have not assimilated linguistically very well into our society either. Ever heard the term "Little Havana"? Well before the invasion of illegal Spanish speakers from south of our border one couldn't get a job in Miami unless you could speak Spanish because of the large number of Cubans living there and that's still the case now.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:11 PM

1,216 posts, read 510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post

Liga Mexico is the most watched soccer league in the USA, not MLS, not EPL. For World Cup qualifying matches for teams from the Americas, played in the USA, or anything USA vs. Mexico is intentionally played in smaller MLS stadiums like in Columbus, Cincinnati to avoid a majority Mexican fan base showing up in a big stadium in Los Angeles or wherever.

"Christian Pulisic nets winner as United States beats Mexico for third time in a row"
5/17/23 Cincinnati TQL Stadium.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/report/_/gameId/606071

They even determined Denver wasn't safe enough lol. Assimilate or go back.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:49 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
I've mentioned this before but for those who haven't seen it --- Spanish was my Dad's first language. Despite that, whenever he had to call a business and got the recording that said "Para Espanol, oprime dos", he refused to do so. As he put it, it has no place in this country.

However, he did make an exception when we lived in PR for a time when I was a kid. If he had to call a business, he would speak Spanish then. That was understandable as Spanish is the official language in PR.

Because we had what was referred to as a "Spanish-American surname", once I was out on my own and had my phone number listed, I would sometimes get calls where the caller spoke Spanish. Same thing happened to my brother and SIL. They were living on Long Island then and they noticed that flyers with coupons and ads came to them in Spanish. My SIL made an interesting observation---she said the coupons printed in Spanish were better than the ones printed in English.

Those who think giving things in Spanish is being helpful, have it all wrong. What it does is discourage learning English. English is the language that binds us all. Many legal immigrants get it. For example, once when I was waiting in line to place an order, two young women behind me were conversing in English. Both had East Indian accents. What that told me was that they were from different parts of India and English was the one language they had in common.

Then there is this --- Many of the illegals are functionally illiterate and can't read all that signage in Spanish, let alone English.

Plus there is this takeaway --- We have people who have immigrated here from literally all over the world. The non-Spanish speakers don't get everything given to them in their native languages. Rather, they are expected to learn English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration